The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

MB Boheme

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 fuchsiaprincess

fuchsiaprincess

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,194 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 07:57

Hi! This is my first fountain pen review. No scanner, so I'm sorry you have to put up with photos only. Regards, Soki
[attachment=34513:IMGP0188.jpg]
[attachment=34514:IMGP0189.jpg]
[attachment=34521:IMGP0194.jpg]
[attachment=34522:IMGP0195_1.jpg]
[attachment=34528:IMGP0196.jpg]
[attachment=34532:IMGP0197.jpg]
[attachment=34533:IMGP0198.jpg]

Edited by fuchsiaprincess, 18 October 2008 - 12:19.

Posted Image Posted Image

Sponsored Content

#2 Immoteus

Immoteus

Messias non est

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 09:56

The images are a bit to read... Can you try uploading them again at a higher resolution?
Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

#3 fuchsiaprincess

fuchsiaprincess

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 6,194 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 11:05

Will do! Thanks for that! Regards, Soki

#4 PenTieRun

PenTieRun

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,685 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:48

Nice review, and your handwriting looks very elegant with the MB bordeaux ink.

#5 Mr Ink

Mr Ink

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 898 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 12:53

Very nice handwriting! This has nothing to do with your review, of course, but there it is.

#6 troglokev

troglokev

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 13:03

Thank you for the review, and thank you for taking some of your precious FPN storage space to increase the size of your very elegant handwriting samples. We over-40s with bad eyesight appreciate it!

#7 youstruckgold

youstruckgold

Aspiring Omastery

• Member - Gold

• 1,493 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2008 - 13:09

Good review Soki.

I have one of these (jewel included) and it's fun. I find the nib a bit thick for my liking, and tends to skip. But it is still despite its size, a lovely pen, and I'm constantly amused as I retract it in and out, fill and refill.

Enjoy.
The rung of a ladder was never meant to rest upon, but only to hold a man's foot long enough to enable him to put the other somewhat higher - Thomas Huxley
Posted Image

#8 Titivillus

Titivillus

Museum Piece

• Away
  • 9,881 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 13:09

nice review!

Kurt

#9 mandragoru

mandragoru

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 13:42

Thanks for the review, I am also thinking of buying a retractable MB. Maybe a Boheme?!

#10 fuchsiaprincess

fuchsiaprincess

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 6,194 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 14:31

Thanks for the compliments and encouragement! Now that I have overcome the fear of being criticized, I may embark on more reviews embarrassed_smile.gif . Regards, Soki

#11 fuchsiaprincess

fuchsiaprincess

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 6,194 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 14:32

QUOTE (mandragoru @ Oct 18 2008, 11:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the review, I am also thinking of buying a retractable MB. Maybe a Boheme?!

I will definitely recommend it! Regards, Soki

#12 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 15:41

Congratulations on the pen! The Boheme is a very enjoyable pen and I think it is destined to become
an iconic model.

Regarding your jewel/no jewel comments: The non-jewel model is not an earlier version; it exists in
parallel to the jeweled ones. Some people like the Boheme but don't want the bling, or for it to look
too feminine -- so they get the version with no jewel.

I have the pen you reviewed along with two others, and I switch the caps to alternate between the
jewel/no jewel look!

Edited by QM2, 18 October 2008 - 15:43.

#13 fuchsiaprincess

fuchsiaprincess

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 6,194 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 00:03

[quote name='QM2' date='Oct 19 2008, 02:11 AM' post='774049']
Congratulations on the pen! The Boheme is a very enjoyable pen and I think it is destined to become
an iconic model.

Regarding your jewel/no jewel comments: The non-jewel model is not an earlier version; it exists in
parallel to the jeweled ones. Some people like the Boheme but don't want the bling, or for it to look
too feminine -- so they get the version with no jewel.

I have the pen you reviewed along with two others, and I switch the caps to alternate between the
jewel/no jewel look!

Hi QM2,

They're both gorgeous! Yes, I think I will be getting a few more Bohemes in the years to come. I like the fact that the caps make it look like you've actually got 4 different pens smile.gif And black and silver complements well together.

Hope your weekend is nice and relaxing!

Regards,
Soki

#14 Nikolaos

Nikolaos

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,405 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 07:35

Nice review, great handwriting

Nikolaos

#15 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 20 October 2008 - 23:17

Thanks for the review, Soki. Handwritten reviews always have a special feel to them, as you get to see the pen in action for more than just a few quick samples.

Can I make one request? I appreciate that you provided higher resolution images so that the lettering is easier to read, but can you increase the image compression? The reason being is that folks with lower bandwidth connections will find the load time significantly slow. The images total some 3Mb in size, each averaging 600Mb each. You should be able to reduce to about half of that without noticeably sacrificing quality. Thank you!

~Gary

Edited by MYU, 20 October 2008 - 23:17.

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#16 fuchsiaprincess

fuchsiaprincess

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 6,194 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 12:36

QUOTE (MYU @ Oct 21 2008, 09:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks for the review, Soki. Handwritten reviews always have a special feel to them, as you get to see the pen in action for more than just a few quick samples.

Can I make one request? I appreciate that you provided higher resolution images so that the lettering is easier to read, but can you increase the image compression? The reason being is that folks with lower bandwidth connections will find the load time significantly slow. The images total some 3Mb in size, each averaging 600Mb each. You should be able to reduce to about half of that without noticeably sacrificing quality. Thank you!

~Gary

Thanks for the tip, Gary! I shall see what the 'puter can do with my next review smile.gif

Regards,
Soki

#17 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,916 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 14:42

Very nice review, Soki, and what lovely handwriting!

I have a Boheme, but (like YouStruckGold's experience) I find that the F nib writes a bit too thick for my liking. But it is a beautiful pen!

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#18 blueskies

blueskies

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 15:58

QUOTE (fuchsiaprincess @ Oct 18 2008, 02:57 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hi! This is my first fountain pen review. No scanner, so I'm sorry you have to put up with photos only. Regards, Soki
[attachment=34513:IMGP0188.jpg]
[attachment=34514:IMGP0189.jpg]
[attachment=34521:IMGP0194.jpg]
[attachment=34522:IMGP0195_1.jpg]
[attachment=34528:IMGP0196.jpg]
[attachment=34532:IMGP0197.jpg]
[attachment=34533:IMGP0198.jpg]

Greetings Soki,
Thank you for the review. Even more, for having the thoughtfulness to use the Boheme to write it! I enjoyed seeing the results of the Boheme as much as the evaluation.

I too thought that most of the Boheme FPs in gold trim had jewels. I posted an inquiry into this matter yesterday on the forum.

Actually, I have a Boheme gold (no jewel) pencil and ballpoint and hope to round out the set with a FP whenever one becomes available. I will be in your debt if you should ever decide to switch to a jeweled Boheme FP and sell this model, and you decide to drop me a message regarding the current model (and its potential availabilty). I am new to this forum, but am quite avid in my enjoyment of MB (my primary pen is a 149 I've used since '96).

Anyway, enough about me, suffice it to say, thank you for the review. I enjoyed it. And should you decide to part with the gold trim--I'm sure we can quickly reach an agreement. And I would like knowing you someday find the one with the jewel of your taste (am I correct in thinking that a ruby accompanies the gold trim FP; platinum comes w/ onyx, emerald, or sapphire?).
Best Regards,
Mike
"All men [sic] of whatsoever quality they be, who have done anything of excellence, or which may properly resemble excellence, ought, if they are persons of truth and honesty, to describe their life with their own hand; but they ought not to attempt so fine an enterprise till they have passed the age of forty. This duty occurs to my own mind, now that I am trevelling beyond the term of fifty-eight years, . . . I am now more free . . . . " Cellini

#19 Immoteus

Immoteus

Messias non est

• Member - Gold

• 849 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 05:00

Thanks for review and re-uploading the images. I once owned the pre-boheme model (before it the name was changed to Boheme) but I eventually sold it to a friend because I couldn't get past the cartridge only feature.
Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

#20 fuchsiaprincess

fuchsiaprincess

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 6,194 posts

Posted 22 October 2008 - 08:18

QUOTE (blueskies @ Oct 22 2008, 02:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Greetings Soki,
Thank you for the review. Even more, for having the thoughtfulness to use the Boheme to write it! I enjoyed seeing the results of the Boheme as much as the evaluation.

I too thought that most of the Boheme FPs in gold trim had jewels. I posted an inquiry into this matter yesterday on the forum.

Actually, I have a Boheme gold (no jewel) pencil and ballpoint and hope to round out the set with a FP whenever one becomes available. I will be in your debt if you should ever decide to switch to a jeweled Boheme FP and sell this model, and you decide to drop me a message regarding the current model (and its potential availabilty). I am new to this forum, but am quite avid in my enjoyment of MB (my primary pen is a 149 I've used since '96).

Anyway, enough about me, suffice it to say, thank you for the review. I enjoyed it. And should you decide to part with the gold trim--I'm sure we can quickly reach an agreement. And I would like knowing you someday find the one with the jewel of your taste (am I correct in thinking that a ruby accompanies the gold trim FP; platinum comes w/ onyx, emerald, or sapphire?).
Best Regards,
Mike

Thank you very much, Mike! My Boheme actually has the platinum trim (the trick of the lighting), so it will not go with the rest of your set - sorry! However, if you're still interested, I will contact you if I ever decide to get one with the jewel. Like you, I couldn't find one without the jewel anywhere on the internet but QM2 wrote that they are an option if one does not fancy the "Bling!" factor.

I think you are correct in the jewel/trim combo. However, I will defer to the more experienced MB users on this forum. The MBs are very lovely pens to write with.

Take care and enjoy being a part of FPN!

Regards,
Soki

Sponsored Content

|