First time collector needs help selecting a good ballpoint

joshmitra

Hey everyone, I'm 20 years old and over the last few weeks, I've developed an immense interest in fountain pens and general collectible pens. I have decided to purchase a ballpoint as my first pen and I need your guys' advice on which brand/model to buy. As a first time collector, my budget is around $0 - $100. From what I have read so far, I can get a pretty decent pen in this price range. I have a deep appreciation for artistry and definitely want a ballpoint which is not mass-manufactured in China like Cross has begun doing. My question is, given my price range, is it possible to purchase a high quality pen that is handmade or at least manufactured in-house on a small scale? I came across the Caran d'Ache Dunas model and it looks fantastic and is within my price range. Is this pen handmade and made in-house or does it do what Cross does and outsource the production?

Well I guess that's enough for right now. I really appreciate any advice as I am eagerly awaiting the purchase of my first ballpoint!

Best regards,

Josh

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Fernan

• RevAaron

• joshmitra

• DRP

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi, Josh. Welcome to FPN.

Any writing instrument manufacturered on a small scale necessarily means a high price. Of course, that price might be within your budget, but I do not know of any. For a really nice ball point in your price range, I will suggest a Sheaffer Balance II. The colors are brilliant and exciting, the pens are wide in girth and pleasant to hold, and the pens are of very good quality. These pens are not currently in production, so you will be looking for an out of production pen (but not vintage). Nevertheless, the prices can be very reasonable.

Good luck.

In my opinion, the most important factor for a ballpoint pen is the quality of their refill ink. Besides that, you need to ensure that the refill ink is easily obtainable because you need to find for the same one after you run out of ink. I ever come across some handmade pens in this forum but most of them in fountain pen. You can check this one: www.thompsonpens.com

I have a Parker Sonnett Cisele, MBStarwalker, Waterman 100 & Waterman hemisphere. Of those the Hemisphere is the best followed by the Parker. The MB was a mistake to have bought due to mysef finding it difficult to write with but for me it has the best refill ink. Hope to have been of some help.

Sincerest Regards

Kubalai

“We are civilized people. We do not have to conduct ourselves like a slob."

Josh- welcome. I dont have any info about ball point pens, because I continue to use a couple of Cross BPs, that were manufactured in Rhode Island years back.

With a last name of Mitra, are you Bengali?

The Pelikan K600 would be my choice in this price range (indeed, I'm going to be buying one soon for my brother's college graduation). The striped top part of the barrel is completely made by hand, while the other components are hand finished. Very elegant and understated. Also available for well under $100, generally in the $60-$70 range, via eBay and other discount venues (although they go for much more than that retail).

Comes in red, blue, and green (although the ink will be either blue or black, depending upon what you pick).

http://www.pensinasia.com/PesouK600blkblubp83.jpg

http://www.pensinasia.com/Pek6brbp12.jpg

http://www.miranijewelers.com/images/products/large/k600_grn_L.jpg

Josh- welcome. I dont have any info about ball point pens, because I continue to use a couple of Cross BPs, that were manufactured in Rhode Island years back.

With a last name of Mitra, are you Bengali?

I am bengali, nice guess!

My vote goes to the Parker Jotter! I'd never used a "luxury" BP refill, though I've used plenty of rollerballs that worked well. I was pretty impressed by both the Parker BP and gel ballpen refills, though the gel pen doesn't last very long. Very smooth though, doesn't skip for me on Rhodia, and contrary to what a lot of folks think, the two Parker gel refills I've gone through with the Jotter don't require almost any pressure whatsoever to lay down a line. Being an FP nerd, I don't use it much, but it always works instantly when I do need to.

Although, I do think about the Lamy 2000 4-color ballpoint w/ a stylus refill in one of the slots sometimes... :)

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

I would also go for a Parker Jotter - high quality and relatively cheap - plus plentiful choice in refills. The money saved could go towards a fountain pen.

I agree on Parker, too. Nice, easy to get refills, reasonably priced, decent ballpoints. You know, if you wanted to try an FP, you could get a Retro 51 or Monteverde for well under $100.

my vote goes to the jotter as well, or the stainless 'classic'. Both are understated, timeless and highly reliable pens. Lots of refill variety as well. I'm getting my dad one soon. It was his first and only Parker pen, he got it back in 1984 when he married my mom. I know he likes my pens, but doesn't care much for foutain pens or especially pricey ones, the Jotter and Classic are about 10 bucks each. To him thats the best pen, and all the pen he needs. If I got a ballpen I'd also get the same, I wouldn't spend more than 20 bucks on one. They all write the same regardless of pricie

One more jump up and down, wave your arms vote for the Parker Jotter! Do they still call them T Ball Jotter? I have one at least 50 years old, went all through Jr high, high school, college, much of my work career.

The regular Jotter refill works well, is smooth and lasts a long time. The gel refills are even smoother, but may not last as long. You can also get one of the Fisher write upside down, in the wet refills for the Parker Jotter.

This is one always good looking, hard working ballpoint.

---Can you get one in a Vintage finish?

Oh, one other thought! Get a ballpen that lets you refill with fountain pen ink. It's going to be a lot cheaper than buying refills, especially if you want forge-proof ink like whatever it is Uniball has. Ge some Noodler's and one of those pens and you're set.

Pelikan makes one, Kaweco has one (Ink Roller), and there are vintage PAN piston filling ballpoints.

Aaron

WTB: Lamy 27 w/ OB/OBB nibs; Pelikan 100 B nib

Go into a store and try a few different brands. The parker jotter is a great pen. I like the MB star-walker ball points.

Edited by shoppy

Best wishes.

My vote goes to the Parker Jotter! I'd never used a "luxury" BP refill, though I've used plenty of rollerballs that worked well. I was pretty impressed by both the Parker BP and gel ballpen refills, though the gel pen doesn't last very long. Very smooth though, doesn't skip for me on Rhodia, and contrary to what a lot of folks think, the two Parker gel refills I've gone through with the Jotter don't require almost any pressure whatsoever to lay down a line. Being an FP nerd, I don't use it much, but it always works instantly when I do need to.

And don't forget the the Jotter did have some LE versions that are rather nice and reasonably priced on Overstock.com.

The refill is pretty standard so no troubles there - even can use Gel.

Krut

How about helping our economy and buying an American pen? Fisher Space Pens manufactures their pens in Nevada and has been true to their mission of providing a quality pen at a reasonable price.

Personally, I'd buy the Fisher Astronaut.

Good Luck!

I would go for the Caran d'Ache Dunas, it looks quite good for its price and I believe it will perform well. I've owned one albeit a fountain pen, but it performs well. The thing that might turn you off is the weight, for me it isn't a problem though. Have fun whatever you choose! :D

And so it all comes down to pens, inks, and papers.

The Parker Jotter was my choice for a ball-point from the sixties to the eighties. I always had one with me, wherever I went...

Until I came across the Sheaffer Targa -- see below, reproduction of an ad published in the Scientific American, in the early eigthies. Sheaffer promoted it as "Jewelry for writing", no less.

I still have my first Targa, as well as a cap-activated Jotter from long ago. I prefer a medium refill for the Jotter, black.

You can still find both of these if you look/shop around, and refills are still available. I recall seeing a Targa ball point (black matte) recently for something around 30$.

Fernan

I'm also going to recommend the Sheaffer Targa or the Balance II. Both are out of production but still available. These are superbly made pens which should last for decades even under daily use. My Targa fountain pen has proven its durability over nearly three decades of use.

Sheaffer refills are widely available and should remain so in that they are standard for pens which are currently in production.

I'm going to go the Parker route with a twist.

Are there any of the metal finished Parker 180, 75, 45's FP's that even remotely interest you?

Most of those FP's have the same finished BP counterparts that are readily available on The Bay

with some of them still available reasonably priced as NOS. Most of those have the cap actuated

actions which to me are clean and classic looking. Then someday, if you really like the BP you

might have some inspiration to find the FP match to it so you can have a set.

I have a very nice gold 180 Imperial BP that is a beautiful pen and as noted also takes several

brands of Parker compatable gel refills and thus writes beauitifully.

Take a gander a Vakpen.com no affiliation other than I've gotten a couple pens from him and

he has some nice NOS Parker pens.

Bruce in Ocala, FL