Lined or Blank paper? what do you use?

jay23

I can and do write on all types except lined grids, which I find too obtrusive. Of course, if it's battlefield conditions, I'll even use lined grids.

My first choice is dotted. However, while I have at least one Rhodia dot pad within reach at all times (and usually three, all different sizes), I prefer to semi-home-make my own dotted paper at incompetech.com, using beige (color code fdc689) dots, which seem to disappear on the page as soon as I write on them.

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bluebellrose

• Retro-user

• RoyalBlueNotebooks

• Studio97

Wow after 9 years... :D

I can't write straight. That's a fact. My notebooks are usually lined. And I print dot grids onto papers I write on. But the funny part is, I can't write straight even on a lined paper 😅 My words are all over the lines >_<

Grid for note taking. That allows me to line up the indents to align each sub-category and keep my notes organized. For random scribbling or reminders to myself, plain or grid paper will due.

Conan the Grammarian

“No place is boring, if you've had a good night's sleep and have a pocket full of unexposed film.” ~ Robert Adams

“Aerodynamics are for people who can’t build engines” ~ Enzo Ferrari

Cogito ergo spud. [i think therefore I yam.]

After 9 years...well this is still a quirky thing with people like us. I use lined and unlined notebooks but if lined i prefer lines not so close together. Need a little space or my writing gets too small. Then i cant read my own writing.

Edited by Studio97

After 9 years...well this is still a quirky thing with people like us. I use lined and unlined notebooks but if lined i prefer lines not so close together. Need a little space or my writing gets too small. Then i cant read my own writing.

fpn_1497987205__img_3130.jpg

"We are one."

– G'Kar, The Declaration of Principles

I sometimes use blanks -but- I do print my own backing guide sheets which I cut to size.

I found that I like 7mm spacing best.

-k

Lined or unlined sometimes didnt help my writing. Sent letters to my wife when i shipped out in the service. Her mother had to read them to her.

Most of the time I use lined but I also like grid and once in a while dot. I never use blank. I need lines for shorthand. I don't like wide rule (if there was clairefontaine Triumphe in 6-7 mm rule that would be great!) and tend to write small even in shorthand.

Inked: Aurora Optima EF (Pelikan Tanzanite); Franklin Christoph Pocket 20 Needlepoint (Sailor Kiwa Guro); Sheaffers PFM I Reporter/Fine (Diamine Oxblood); Franklin Christoph 02 Medium Stub (Aurora Black); Platinum Plaisir Gunmetal EF (Platinum Brown); Platinum Preppy M (Platinum Blue-Black). Leaded: Palomino Blackwing 602; Lamy Scribble 0.7 (Pentel Ain Stein 2B); Uni Kuru Toga Roulette 0.5 (Uni Kuru Toga HB); Parker 51 Plum 0.9 (Pilot Neox HB)

I quite literally use any bit of paper I can find for two reasons; I am cheap and I don't have much money to use on good paper :lol:

Having said that, nowadays I prefer blank paper. Most of the time I find myself using grid though.

I prefer blank but will use whatever decent paper is available, so I have several Clairefontaine Séyès notebooks.

"The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt."

B. Russell

While I prefer blank, often, cheap lined filler paper outperforms it... *grrrrrrr*

I prefer unlined but it's hard to find journals that have unlined pages, especially when I'm looking for ones with a large capacity, so I get lined ones and write 2 lines for every printed line (I write small).

When I'm trying to do creative writing, I tend to use better quality printer paper, so that's also unlined.

When I'm doing stuff like QotW posts, I use unlined paper but back it with a guideline sheet I printed off for myself which is supposed to be pretty close to standard college rule paper.

Ruth Morrisson aka inkstainedruth

"It's very nice, but frankly, when I signed that list for a P-51, what I had in mind was a fountain pen."

While I have a range of notebooks, and what ever the ruling they come with (blank, lined 6, 7, 8 mm, grid 5mm, Whitelines ruled and grid) I like the opportunities I have with blank copy paper.

I choose inexpensive cut sheet paper that will feed my printer, and is good with FPs, currently Officeworks house brand J.Burrows Premium.

With that I can print whatever ruling I want on it, and currently printing light grey lines on it. For A5, I use 6mm spacing, B5, 7mm and A4 I use 8mm spacing.

Most of my paper is B5 or smaller, so I use a fine or medium-fine nib (Pilot 742 WA(verley) nib) and that suits my hand nicely.

I wanted a bit more flexibility with the ruling for my Kokuyo Campus paper, so I bought a couple of packs of blank paper and print my lines on that.

I also have a couple of packets of Nu:Elite refill paper, but don't use it much because I find the 10mm spacing wasteful. (And yes, there is a dissonance between considering using the paper wasteful and leaving it unused on the paper shelf...) Other than that, it's good paper.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Most always lined... never blank or graph ... just got a dot grid to try and I expect it will be fine.

When I first started journaling (10+ yrs ago) I used lined, mostly because I didn't know there existed other types. Then when I got into fountain pens and paper I discovered unlined, switched to that. I liked the fact that I could draw and tape in postcards and stuff without it looking odd with lines. But I didn't draw as much as I thought I would, and since I quit my last job, where I could print pictures, etc. for free, I haven't been putting ephemera in my journals. So I am going to give lined another shot once I finish up my current unlined journal.

I use both and sometimes even cheat with a lined master sheet behind my unlined Tomoe River ........ ;)

After reading these comments, I want to try unlined Rhodia or Moleskine notebooks.

I use both and sometimes even cheat with a lined master sheet behind my unlined Tomoe River ........ ;)

I recently came across an Australia site that turns Tomoe River into A4 pads and sends a card with lined on one side, grid on the other. So you end up with the best of both worlds- straight writing with no lines on the page!

I recently came across an Australia site that turns Tomoe River into A4 pads and sends a card with lined on one side, grid on the other. So you end up with the best of both worlds- straight writing with no lines on the page!

Linky, please.

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching