The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

One pen to Rule them all

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Titivillus

Titivillus

Museum Piece

• Away
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,881 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 20:29

I received today a pen that I have been after for a decade or so as the pen was unveiled in 1995. Never thought I would get my hands on it as I figured it was a longshot even new with only 1,475 total pens produced- that's a 1/10 to 1/20 of what another company would call a limited edition so I think calling it rare would be appropriate. The pen itself came in two sizes a normal and grande. I will be talking about the Grande.

Presentation:
The pen arrived in a standard old style Visconti box of green faux leather. inside was a suede pillow hiding the pen from view. With it came a nice booklet that is held together by a tassled cord not stapled together. Along with that came a small card thanking me for purchasing the pen as well as a standard warranty card and a small fold explaining how to use the clip.

Pen:
The pen is 5.5" long capped and 6-3/4" posted, the clip and cap band are gold colored while the nib is a bicolored gold fine. The name and serial number are engraved on the section which is made of the same material as the pen.

The pen is made of a dark green celluloid with opalescent chunks within catching the light there is also weaved around this stripes of gold- bronze colored dust giving the impression of fine Italian marble.

The clip is the old style ship prow which I do love in a Visconti pen. It has a style that puts it above other pens as it rides high in the pocket.

Filler:
The filler on the pen is a single tank vacuum filler with the feed showing into the inkview window at the top of the section.

inkpot:
Did I mention that the pen came with a matching celluloid inkpot? Well this is a rather special one since it is made rather than the usual cone of rubber to seal but uses an 'o'-ring. How is that possible you might ask? Well the inkpot is threaded to fit the pen so the section makes a perfect seal.

Price:
well it was expensive but when compared to some other pens I have seen of similar quality it was a good price.

Overall:
I have not said this about many pen but this one might have stopped me from searching for that perfect pen. Why keep looking when you already have found it!

Edited by Titivillus, 14 October 2008 - 21:24.

Sponsored Content

#2 Zoe

Zoe

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 790 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 20:31

Congratulations!

One pen sounds good to me right now. smile.gif

#3 KCat

KCat

Honorary Administrator

• FPN Hon. Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,638 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2008 - 20:47

beautiful pen and pot.

here's the dumb question...

how's it write?

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

#4 Titivillus

Titivillus

Museum Piece

• Away
  • 9,881 posts

Posted 14 October 2008 - 21:20

QUOTE (KCat @ Oct 14 2008, 03:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
beautiful pen and pot.

here's the dumb question...

how's it write?

we'll have to find out in time.

Kurt

#5 bugmd

bugmd

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,167 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 14 October 2008 - 22:56

She is a real beauty. I do not remember where I came across mine at. Wonderful look and feel. The nib is the flawless Visconti nib I have loved for many years now.

here is a shot of most of my green pens and the Michangelo Grande is certainly amongst then. BTW the Pens Plus LE is the same material and is also made by Visconti. The trim is not yellow gold as seen on the Michangelo

A. Don's Axiom "It's gonna be used when I sell it, might as well be used when I buy it."

#6 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2008 - 00:28

What a lovely pen and congrats for finding the ONE pen for you.
I dont have a ONE pen but rather a one pen till I get it and then move on to the next ONE pen bunny01.gif

Enjoy and thank you for the review.
Respect to all

#7 Titivillus

Titivillus

Museum Piece

• Away
  • 9,881 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:05

QUOTE (bugmd @ Oct 14 2008, 05:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
She is a real beauty. I do not remember where I came across mine at. Wonderful look and feel. The nib is the flawless Visconti nib I have loved for many years now.

here is a shot of most of my green pens and the Michangelo Grande is certainly amongst then. BTW the Pens Plus LE is the same material and is also made by Visconti. The trim is not yellow gold as seen on the Michangelo

Yep I just really like the old style clip, don't understand why they went with the new arc version.

Kurt

#8 Titivillus

Titivillus

Museum Piece

• Away
  • 9,881 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:06

QUOTE (goodguy @ Oct 14 2008, 07:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What a lovely pen and congrats for finding the ONE pen for you.
I dont have a ONE pen but rather a one pen till I get it and then move on to the next ONE pen bunny01.gif

Enjoy and thank you for the review.

I think this one might be the final nail in my pen purchases. There is only one other pen out there that I'd like to own and it is beyond my budget to think of.

Kurt

#9 Shalori

Shalori

Do or do not, there is no try.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:18

Kurt.

Congrats on acquiring the One. It must be a somewhat bitter sweet.

Regards,

Neil

#10 MYU

MYU

... The key to it all is Capillary Action! ...

• Member - Gold

• 5,647 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2008 - 01:20

QUOTE ((bleep) @ Oct 14 2008, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think this one might be the final nail in my pen purchases. There is only one other pen out there that I'd like to own and it is beyond my budget to think of.

Where have I heard that before, I wonder... hmm1.gif

laugh.gif Seriously, great score Kurt. I think the matching ink pot is a major compliment for the pen. I especially like how it is designed to mate with the pen, although you can refill the pen through a normal ink bottle.

If you don't mind my asking, through what channel did you get this Visconti? Also, please post writing samples when you get a chance (hint, hint). smile.gif

[MYU's Pen Review Corner]   |   "The Common Ground" -- Jeffrey Small

#11 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• 11,914 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:26

That's marvelous, Kurt! Hooray!

So... are you going to pull a Legal Eagle (whittle your pens to one)?

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#12 Stani

Stani

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 02:43

Congrats... thumbup.gif

Super cool FP.

Enjoy.

......Stani happyberet.gif

IMAGINE

#13 Titivillus

Titivillus

Museum Piece

• Away
  • 9,881 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:08

QUOTE (MYU @ Oct 14 2008, 08:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE ((bleep) @ Oct 14 2008, 09:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Where have I heard that before, I wonder... hmm1.gif

laugh.gif Seriously, great score Kurt. I think the matching ink pot is a major compliment for the pen. I especially like how it is designed to mate with the pen, although you can refill the pen through a normal ink bottle.

If you don't mind my asking, through what channel did you get this Visconti? Also, please post writing samples when you get a chance (hint, hint). smile.gif

Actually I think this really might be the one. To this point there has always been another pen coming out that has grabbed my interest but for the last 6 months or so I haven't seen anything new that I like or I like and would purchase at the price that is charged. I have bought enough pens to own and know I don't like them. And the 10 that I have run the gamut of line sizes so there is no reason for me not to just walk away from buying more.

Kurt

#14 Titivillus

Titivillus

Museum Piece

• Away
  • 9,881 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:09

QUOTE (ethernautrix @ Oct 14 2008, 09:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's marvelous, Kurt! Hooray!

So... are you going to pull a Legal Eagle (whittle your pens to one)?

Can't say I would go to one but the 10 I have now fun from Asian EF to italics. So I could be happy with the range I own now. Maybe even sell a few more off in the fine area.

Kurt

#15 fuchsiaprincess

fuchsiaprincess

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• 6,194 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:17

Thanks for sharing this fabulous pen with us, Kurt! Enjoy! thumbup.gif

Regards,
Soki

Posted Image Posted Image

#16 Titivillus

Titivillus

Museum Piece

• Away
  • 9,881 posts

Posted 15 October 2008 - 12:18

QUOTE (Shalori @ Oct 14 2008, 08:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Kurt.

Congrats on acquiring the One. It must be a somewhat bitter sweet.

Regards,

Neil

No not really. I've gone through about 60 different inks and probably a few dozen papers to find what I like then stopped looking seriously for them. Why not pens as well.

Kurt

#17 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 October 2008 - 18:32

congrats on the acquisition wink.gif
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Sponsored Content

|