Graduate Student (Berkeley)

Melnicki

This sucks! I'm spending my scarce fellowship on fountain pens and inks! There's no end to it! Damn you, inventor of Paypal! You make it so easy to buy on impulse!

No, really, it's okay... I rarely spend money anyway (would you believe I dig loaves of bread out of the dumpsters in the back of the many fine Berkeley bakeries!!! so much goes to waste!!!)

And, to boot... if I wasn't discovering all these FP message boards this week (gotta get some reassurance that I'm not crazy, or at least I've got accomplices), I would be studying hard, because studying involves note-taking, which involves writing, which involves using the pens!!! FP's have increased my eagerness to study.

About me: I'm a graduate student (2nd year, getting a Ph.D., studying microbiology and photosynthesis)... [i really need a green ink for photosynthesis stuff!] I have my qualifying exam coming up in three weeks... So all I do is sit at my desk and study these days...

I fell in love with FP's through Sensa. I had touched one of the grips at a counter, and then discovered Ebay (and shopping and paypal) and then discovered the Meridian ("fountain pens, how curious", I thought to myself). But the real kicker was Noodler's inks. I'm in trouble.

What I've got: Two fine Sensa Meridians, a medium Dancheron (okay, it's cheap), and a green Esterbrook. And a Shaeffer Javelin (yuck) (+ Two Kaweco Sport ink rollers, investigating the ink ball phenomenon, see my separate post about that).

Inks I've got: (All Noodler's): SEQUOIA (boo, too dark, practically black, which i despise), GOLDEN BROWN (very lovely, but it separates, and looks different with different nibs and different points in time, doesn't seem to flow very wet either), BEAVER (nice, dark, red and brown -- one of my favorites), ETERNAL BROWN (love it, hated it at first because it was a sickly green, but inverted the bottle a few times, now it's like a more rounded-out, less-yellow golden brown, will probably be my primary), IRAQI INDIGO (very nice, lovely. i will use it a lot once i find the right pen for it), LEGAL LAPIS (I'm becoming less of a fan the more I use my browns. It's dull, blue should be vivid. It makes me think of businessfolk choking from their neckties). ANTIETAM (I think this is my favorite, though I haven't found a pen to be its caretaker yet.)

What I'm searching for (please give recommendations): Some extra-fine budget pens (but not unexciting crapola like the Shaeffer Javelin). Inks I'm interested in: a Noodler's Green (standard, army, or green marine?), an orange (leaning toward Apache Sunset, but cayenne and habanero seem nice.. are they too much like Antietam, though?), and maybe Tiananmen (is it too dark?) Maybe some of those vivid blues (Ottoman azure? Coleur Royale?), but again, I'm not a blue person... [Maybe it was all the times my mother called me "blue eyes" growing up, despite the fact that my eyes are grey-green?!!]

I have in the mail: a Wality (heard it was a good cheapie reliable fine/XF), A Waterman Kultur (accidentally got a medium, but I guess it's good to have a few M's...), another Sensa Meridian (I'm addicted to that grip!), and a grey Esterbrook. I have a core XS I'm bidding on (saw a picture of Stagolees showing that it's finer than the Rotring 600 XF)...

I also bookbind (when I have time). That's probably weirder than FP's but for some reason I am incredibly proud. I get upset when I see people settling for a poor binding (not that I'm a master!!), especially the perfect-binding conspiracy (you're getting ripped off when you pay for a hard-cover these days!!! it's not sewn!!!)

This was probably too much for you all to know, but now you know. Evidence that I'm an addict. Hooray for FP's... now i need to go and wave them around and convince those who doubted my craziness that I am indeed a weirdo.

Any other pen weirdos in the East Bay? Want to meet me for tea and show me your pens? I can't wait until the Pan Pacific Pen Club meeting next month!!!

Cheers!!

MM.

Click for Ink Scans!!

WTB: (Blemished OK)

CdA Dunas // Stipulas! (esp w/ Titanio nib) // Edison Pearl

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Melnicki

• Slush99

• Onion

• tzmcneill

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Welcome! I do agree that some Sheaffer Javelins are really scratchy. I got it fixed by a nibmeister and it works wonderfully. As for green inks, I like Diamine Emerald, a nice cheap ink (12 dollars for 80ml) with a nice bottle. I have had less success with Noodlers Green Marine, which crept onto my nib though a nice color. I love Antietam and I put it in my Parker Frontier. Unfortunately I am not fond of Noodlers :ph34r:

Anyway, welcome and enjoy this site? Don't worry about your wallet :ph34r: unfortunately you will spend more on pens...

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.

How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire

The Adventures of Chewie

Can't wait to hear what you think of the Wality. I don't think it can be beat on a performance per penny basis.

I like to green inks from Levenger. Gemstone Green is an even green tone and Always Greener is just that. It's the greenest green I've ever seen (no poetry jokes, please). If you participate in the sample exchange I could send you a bit of both or three if you want to try the Apache Sunset.

If you have the vials I'd swap the above for vials of Legal Lapis, Antietam, and the Golden Brown. I also have some Pelikan Brilliant Brown since you favor Browns.

All good wishes,

Andy

"Andy Hoffman" Sandy Ego, CA

Torrey View is Andy's BlOG and Facebook me! If you visit my blog, click on the ad. I'll send all proceeds to charity.

For my minutiae, FOLLOW my Twitter.

Take two steps away from your desk, we are going to have to confiscate your inks and writing instruments until you return to sanity and start using BIC's again....

Welcome!

Planning on continuing into research?

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

Hi folks!

Andy, I think I'm going to contemplate a bit more (and assemble my pen arsenal first) before I start doing the sample exchange thing... it's a GREAT concept, though (hooray for human innovation, hooray for Kcat!). By the way, is Kcat a pun on the enzymology constant? And as for vials, I work in a biology lab... of course we have vials! The 1.5 mL Microcentrifuge tubes are probably the best, but you can't dip your pen in (duh)... I'm fancying using my micropipet (with plastic tips!) to fill cartridges. I like the converter concept but it's a bit finnicky sometimes, plus all that valuable ink that you have to wipe off the nib when you dip!!! I haven't experimented with eyedroppers yet, but I have this funny feeling that's gonna be my preference in the future...

Now, that's a hoot, DrPMJ1!!!

No, I can't fathom using a bic anymore. half of them are in ugly blue, half are in modest black (what i always preferred when using bic's, even though i dislike its mediocrity)...

I'm in it for life (research)... I just put everything on hold so I can complete my coursework and take my qualifying exam. Three hours of being grilled by four really smart scientists. I can't wait!!!! (I'm serious. If I'm dumb, I want to know why). Those who teach me the most will get a FP for a gift of thanks!!! (now what kind... they might be put off by my low, odd standard...) And I haven't the urge to hanker around with snipering the good deals on Ebay anymore... I'm done (for a week, at least)...

Click for Ink Scans!!

Welcome. I'm sort of new to this board, but not to my PhD. I'm already writing the big D, and I can tell you that, though I have been using fountain pens since I'm twelve, to have a fine writing tool makes the grueling process a bit --actually a lot-- more enjoyable. Good luck with your quals. As for greens, the one of my choice is the following mix: Waterman Green : Parker Quink (4 : 1). It's a bit dark, but if you use it with a broad nib, it shades wonderfully.

Steve,

I'm totally torn. Between Green Marine and Standard Green. Is the standard green dark enough? I guess too light is okay because I could do what escribiente did with the Waterman Green (darken it). I haven't mixed anything yet. I don't want to, I'm scared. It's like a whole Pandora's box. Demons swirling around, waiting to be let out and devour my free time!!!

I'm glad you enjoyed my ramblings. I've always had a policy: Say a lot, and someone will like SOMETHING you've said! I think it's safe to say it's brought me quite far in life, but a corollary is: Say everything with a smile.

How can you be mean to a smiling person? It's so hard!!!

(strangely enough, i never use these things, but it's fitting) >> :D

Edited by Melnicki

Click for Ink Scans!!

Welcome to the board!

I am also a little nervous about getting into the ink mixing thing, but I have put some Black Quink into Waterman Green. Nice free flowing and quick drying ink.

Enjoy the addiction/hobby.

Regards,

Karin

Fountain Pen Abundance

Welcome MM! I can very much seeing somebody of your background getting into the ink exchange program!

:)

Geaux Tigers! Visça el Barça!

WTB: MB Kafka, Lamy Safari 2009 Orange, Pilot MYU (Black or Clear/White Stripe), Seiko FrankenTuna SKZ253 / SKZ255

MM, try PR avacado green, its a nice plant green and kind of has a text book chloroplast tint to it, with the right paper and nib combination it kind of has the color of a corn stalk in July. BTW, good luck on your quals. Also, I wish someone had told me this when I was getting my Ph.D., the 3rd year is the most difficult because you're finished with your class work and its going to feel like you're not getting any traction with your project. Just keep swinging, something will hit. Be open to changes and new paths for your research. Also, you will know when you are finished because you will have emotionally divorced youself from your work and can have it torn to shreds and not be distrubed by it. You are in for a huge bit of education in the next few years, the least of which is the technical and scientific. You will experience huge ups and downs in terms of motivation. If you are prone to depression, develop a support network, now!! you will need it. While getting my Ph.D., one of the things I found helpful was to have a weekend job, it provided a break from the academic grind and let me interact with "real" people, I used to work at a cigar and pipe shop. Perhaps there is a pen shop near by where you could work on the weekends, employee discounts are a good thing!! Any way you slice it, this experience is going to change who you are, it may even change your tastes in fountain pens.

tom.

Great intro -very interesting.

Glad you're here. Rest assured you're among many other FPNuts!

See you around.

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I have half a bottle (30ml bottle) of "Vert Olive" from J. Herbin. Anyone interested in it? If you would like to trade I would want to do the remains of this whole bottle since I really don't care for the ink and don't plan to use it anymore.

Mastering

Edited by Mastering

You're bidding for a Core? What does it look like? I mean, what colors? I :wub: my core. :wub:

Writes smooth, wet, like a dream. :rolleyes:

[Wait, I thought you didn't like cores.]

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.

How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire

The Adventures of Chewie

Okay, I'll try to address everybody's friendly comments (I love internet communities like this, there's nothing quite like friendly strangers!!)

Thanks so much Chupie for the Green Marine sample. It doesn't look like chlorophyll, but it has the richness I was looking for. Green is like the color of the royalty of Earth (why, the plants rule this place, of course!! We'd be choking without them!) In my lab we grow bottles of unicellular green algae (like Chlorella, which is in health foods, but not the same species), and when I leave a bottle in the light room for too long, the cell density gets very high and it has this wonderful dark green color... Oh, here, I'll post a picture... It's not the best, I need to take some better ones...

The ink exchange program sounds VERY dangerous for me. Because it will ultimately lead to falling in love with a bunch of colors and then having to buy them, and then having to buy a pen to be devoted to it.

Tom, thanks so much for the Ph.D. advice. I've already changed so much. I remember when I started, laughing "I can't believe they let me in!"... Already I'm starting to feel like I'm on a trajectory, going somewhere... Of course, I'm totally expecting to have many diversions, and hopefully all will be exciting... The shame, though, is that there are a lot of classmates that don't seem to care much about their research. It definitely gives me a leg up, but I want to be surrounded by enigmatic people that can't shut up about science. Kinda like how we can't shut up about fountain pens.

Corn Stalk in July... Sounds nice, but I've never experienced it! I'm a city boy!!!

Slush -- I DONT like the way Core looks. Ug-lee! But I have a hunch I'm going to love the way it writes. I wanted to get one of the louder color combinations, but I got a good deal to get one for about 5 bucks on Ebay, for the grey-with-blue one (probably the least-loud one)... It needs a loud color though...

Cheers,

Matt.

post-31-1140583590_thumb.jpg

Click for Ink Scans!!

Hi Melnicki; what an introduction to yourself: sounds like a lot of us here, so you're not the only one with a pen passion. :D

Yep, ebay & paypal have a lot to answer for! :rolleyes:

Rotring Cores look very nice. I'm watching one on ebay, but think Cross Townends and Century IIs are going to be my thing - and my Lamy 2000 when it arrives :drool:

My brother graduated from Cambridge in biology. He uses computers to help find ways of storing genetic information: bioinformatics I think it's called.

I have no exciting qualifications myself, but I agree that fountain pens can induce one to take notes or just scribble utterings. Now to find a suitable topic to study with them! :huh:

Edited by ballboy

Roger

Magnanimity & Pragmatism

Ugh Telegraph! I strongly dislike going to Telegraph. the wackos always approach me, either asking for drugs, selling me drugs, telling me things i don't care to know, and -- most frequently -- babbling incoherencies...

Although Moe's is indeed the best bookstore in the bay area!

I just got my Core. HIDEOUS! It is worse than I thought! AAAGH! i think i'm going to have nightmares. I put it in a drawer and closed it right away! I did plug the cartridge it came with and scribbled a word or two... some thoughts (besides "i'm scared") are that it isn't as fine-line writer as i had thought (but of course I need to try more papers and different inks to really be sure) and "how do you hold this thing?!!" The cap is very big and monstruous. Now I'm glad I didn't dish out the extra money to get any of the louder colors...

My wality arrived and so did my Hero Engineer. The Wality is great, except that the cap is scratching the plastic. I got the 77C. I will add to one of the Wality forum pages once I've used it more, but it is definitely seeing a lot of use (currently carrying Antietam, and thus it is my "red pen", doing a lot of underlining with it.

I will post a whole review of the Hero Engineer (I even put batteries in my camera to take a picture tonight!).. I haven't written with it enough but it seems to be quite nice... And for cheapo ($10) pens these things are great. To boot, I bought it from Yi Cheng, which I was very scared to do... I heard bad things about him. But I was incredibly pleased.

Chupie, I bought Marine Green based on your review... Thanks! I haven't received it yet, but it's going in my third Sensa Meridian.... (Black and Gold one... I wish it didn't look so fancy but I think I'll get used to it, esp since I won it for $15!!)

I got my M Kultur (Phileas)... I don't care for it. I'm discovering that I don't care for a lot of these plasticky-pens... They may be well-made. but they seem so juvenile. I'm going to try it as an eyedropper (and also the Shaeffer Javelin) before they become the first ones to be given away to friends as bait.

I got my second Esterbrook (a nice olive-grey), and I think I love it. It's a bit sturdier than my green one, but I like that they are shiny, have some fine nibs in them, it's small and thin... It does have a bit of nib creep, though. But the important thing is that I can sometimes see the green in the Sequoia with this pen. So I'm not as devastated by Sequoia ink.

I think that is all my FP news for now... Still waiting for one more pen...

Cheers,

Matt.

Click for Ink Scans!!