A local antique store.

J. John Harvey

I was near an antique store and decided to see if they had any fountain pens. They did, of the 7 or so pens there, two had bad nibs, all but one vest-pocket sized model and possibly another pen where the lever did not move at all (I think the ink was left to dry into a big solid clump inside the bladder) were missing not only the bladder but also the metal bar that presses down onto the bladder. Prices ranged from $25-$60. For pens that didn't even work. I would have had a lot of restore work that I don't know how to do for none flexible enough to make me happy... One said,

"Parkette" and "Wisconsin" on it though... and another one had some sort of twisty thing on the top, in lieu of a lever system. It was rusted stiff though.

I guess if I buy a vintage pen it'll be from the good people here, trimming off their collections of pens that work but don't get used.

Edited by J. John Harvey

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• J. John Harvey

• Glenn-SC

• garythepenman

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like what we call down here a "Junktique" shop. They want moonbeams for junk just because it's old or looks old.

Gary

A wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to.

You couldn't have summed it better. My mother was with me and told me that prices for everything else in the store were high too. Furniture, the like.

They wanted $10 for a 1998 Christmas Edition Coca Cola bottle... How's that for moonbeams...

I'm sure there are better antique shops in the downtown Twin Cities, but with the price of gas and effort expended, I would be happier sitting at home and clicking my mouse. Anyone feeling like getting rid of one of their inexpensive flex pens?

Edited by J. John Harvey

I've gotten some fantastic deals at antique stores.

But you have to know what you're looking at and what it's worth.

So you have to do homework first.

I bought pens worth over $400 for $4 (sterling silver capped 2 jewel "51"), $16 (first year Waterman Hundred Year Pen), $45 (Conklin Nozac) and $90 (a second Nozac and a solid gold Sheaffer TM Snorkle).

Good luck buying somthing like that on ebay or from an on-line dealer!

If you "play" ebay long enough ad bid on enough fuzzy pictured, badly described, ID unknown to Seller pens you'll get a few good deals. And I'd won a few of those too.

Edited by Glenn-SC