The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Pilot M90

• Please log in to reply
107 replies to this topic

#1 troglokev

troglokev

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 03:46

The Pilot MYU was a classic pen of the 1970s, and it still looks ahead of its time. Modern Japanese pens tend to be conservative in design, but the M90 revives the MYU series, and harks back to a time when Japanese design was at the cutting edge. The M90 is a limited edition of 9000, and was released to celebrate the 90th anniversary of the founding of the company.

There has been some controversy over a couple of aspects of the new design, based on the early, very low resolution images of the pen, but seeing it live, they are really not a problem. There is a clutch ring at the join of the section and barrel, which provides an excellent and positive grip on the cap when posted. Visually, this is hidden by the cap, and since this is a pocket pen, it is designed to be used posted.

To my mind, this design reduces the idea of a pen down to its essence, providing a sleek shape with no distractions. The model name is discreetly placed at the top of the cap, and the company name is embossed in very small letters on the back side of the cap, near the rim.

The M90 comes in a commemorative box, with a screed of Japanese marketing, the usual guarantee cards, and a cartridge of ink. One of the punishments for learning Japanese is that you can read the marketing bumph. blink.gif

There was a CON-20 converter, as well. None of Pilot's larger converters will fit, so the CON-70 is not an option, alas. The CON-20 is a fairly tight fit in the M-90. Some people have been surprised by this: some firmness may be necessary to fully insert the converter. The image below shows my M90 with a converter installed, together with a spare to indicate how far it needs to be inserted.

The nib itself is quite stiff. Mine is a fine point, and as you'd expect from Pilot, it runs finer than most fine points from western manufacturers. The writing in the photos was written with this pen, using Mont Blanc blue ink. Another writing sample below:

I paid $112.68 for this pen through Ujuku. It's a good price for the pen, but they currently have a long waiting list. The M90 is a limited edition of 9000, but it's hard to obtain at the moment. I'm hopeful that Pilot gets a good response to this limited edition, and sees an opportunity to release another MYU-style pen in the not-too-distant future.

Conclusion
Most commemorative pens are expensive, over-decorated, and doomed to a life in a display cabinet. Pilot released a couple of those for the 90th anniversary, but this is the one that people will remember. To their very great credit, the M90 is a resonably priced version of one of their iconic pens: an excellent way to commemorate their 90th anniversary. There is a long wait for this pen, but the wait is worth it.

パイロットの創立90周年おめでとうございます!

Edited by MYU, 09 November 2008 - 01:30.

Sponsored Content

#2 calvin82

calvin82

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 04:43

Great review and a very nice Pilot pen. I hope can get one also. But I worry it will be slippery because there is no any trends on the grip area.

#3 troglokev

troglokev

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,645 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:10

QUOTE (calvin82 @ Oct 12 2008, 03:43 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great review and a very nice Pilot pen. I hope can get one also. But I worry it will be slippery because there is no any trends on the grip area.

I haven't found this to be an issue for me. The brushed finish helps, but the main thing is that it's a good comfortable size to hold. It's well balanced, and doesn't really need to be held in place.

Edited by troglokev, 12 October 2008 - 05:13.

#4 thibaulthalpern

thibaulthalpern

Stop and See / 止觀

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:21

Better than Lamy?

:-P :-)
m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

#5 ProfMike

ProfMike

Order of the Pointy-Ended Writing Stick

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 12 October 2008 - 05:25

QUOTE (troglokev @ Oct 11 2008, 10:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I haven't found this to be an issue for me. The brushed finish helps, but the main thing is that it's a good comfortable size to hold. It's well balanced, and doesn't really need to be held in place.

I'll second that observation. My fingertips can get pretty slippery if I've been writing for a long time or if I've been walking around the classroom touching student desks, markers, widgets, and what-nots... Anyway, I think the brushed finish on this pen does quite a bit to keep slipperiness as a non-factor. And, as troglokev noted, this is a very nicely balanced pen in a comfortable size that just seems to find the right spot to rest in your hand.

All the best,
Mike

Flow good, ooze bad!

Mike

#6 gernblanston

gernblanston

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 18:02

Very cool. Thanks for the review. I've got a 701 that I carry with me every day and I'm on the waiting list for a '90.
(Like everybody else, I have NO problems with the smooth finish.)

#7 hari317

hari317

Classic

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,895 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2008 - 18:41

Thanks for this nice review. Would it be possible for you to post a photo of the pen capped?

Best,
Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

#8 troglokev

troglokev

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,645 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 20:53

Happy to oblige! As you can see, it's a "pocket pen".

#9 thibaulthalpern

thibaulthalpern

Stop and See / 止觀

• Member - Gold

• 1,307 posts

Posted 18 October 2008 - 21:27

QUOTE (troglokev @ Oct 18 2008, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah...unfortunately it seems to like your pocket more than my pocket. *sigh* Where is MINE? BTW--more beautiful than Lamy! ;-) LOL

#10 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,205 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 October 2008 - 21:48

QUOTE (thibaulthalpern @ Oct 18 2008, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (troglokev @ Oct 18 2008, 01:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah...unfortunately it seems to like your pocket more than my pocket. *sigh* Where is MINE? BTW--more beautiful than Lamy! ;-) LOL

A great deal more, I think! smile.gif

#11 astanlie

astanlie

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 02:32

I had a difficult times trying to fit the Con-20 in. do I need the extra pressure? I tried the cartridge and it went it just fine.

#12 thibaulthalpern

thibaulthalpern

Stop and See / 止觀

• Member - Gold

• 1,307 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 03:50

QUOTE (astanlie @ Nov 3 2008, 06:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I had a difficult times trying to fit the Con-20 in. do I need the extra pressure? I tried the cartridge and it went it just fine.

It should snap it. As you push in the converter, turn it clockwise.

#13 troglokev

troglokev

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,645 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:12

QUOTE (astanlie @ Nov 4 2008, 01:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's been a while since I did it, but I don't remember any particular problem. Fully inserted, there's about 2mm between the section and the notch for the press bar on the converter.

Edited by troglokev, 04 November 2008 - 04:15.

#14 astanlie

astanlie

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:29

Thanx guys i finally got it. needed an extra 'oomph' there. i guess it was easier to insert the cart than the con.
and by the way, i saw a number 908 under the word F on the body of the pen. Does this number means anything?

#15 troglokev

troglokev

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,645 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:39

QUOTE (astanlie @ Nov 4 2008, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanx guys i finally got it. needed an extra 'oomph' there. i guess it was easier to insert the cart than the con.
and by the way, i saw a number 908 under the word F on the body of the pen. Does this number means anything?

That's the date of manufacture. Mine says 808.

#16 Immoteus

Immoteus

Messias non est

• Member - Gold

• 849 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:39

It means that your nib is 90.8% gold! Congrats!

It's actually a date code. 908 means that either the pen or the nib was made in September 2008.
Virtute enim ipsa non tam multi praediti esse quam videri volunt.

Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Contact Information for Japanese Manufacturers

#17 astanlie

astanlie

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 04 November 2008 - 04:58

ahh i see...i was thinking thats the number that corresponds to the limited edition series out of 9000

#18 DerekB

DerekB

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 00:18

Calling all M90 owners:

Any of you having a problem with ink creeping out of that breather hole at the end of the feed/underside of the nib? I first filled mine with Noodlers HoD and was having this problem big time. So much ink was creeping out that it was getting on the barrel and getting smeared around whilst capping/uncapping.

I emptied out the HoD and tried the included blue Pilot ink cartridge, figuring it would be more benign. It was fine for the first few days, but now it's giving me the same problem.

Would you recommend a little car wax, or does it sound like a manufacturing defect?

#19 Dillo

Dillo

Museum Piece

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,645 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 00:39

Hi,

Clean it carefully (cap and body), then let it dry. Refill the pen with the Pilot blue, and see if the problem persists. I have been using my Myu since September without any problems so far. I'd suggest staying away from Noodler's for this pen.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

#20 J English Smith

J English Smith

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 2,452 posts

Posted 14 May 2009 - 00:48

A stunning pen! I hope they issue this in a regular edition. Not a bad price, either!
<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Sponsored Content

|