Pilot M90

troglokev

The Pilot MYU was a classic pen of the 1970s, and it still looks ahead of its time. Modern Japanese pens tend to be conservative in design, but the M90 revives the MYU series, and harks back to a time when Japanese design was at the cutting edge. The M90 is a limited edition of 9000, and was released to celebrate the 90th anniversary of the founding of the company.

There has been some controversy over a couple of aspects of the new design, based on the early, very low resolution images of the pen, but seeing it live, they are really not a problem. There is a clutch ring at the join of the section and barrel, which provides an excellent and positive grip on the cap when posted. Visually, this is hidden by the cap, and since this is a pocket pen, it is designed to be used posted.

To my mind, this design reduces the idea of a pen down to its essence, providing a sleek shape with no distractions. The model name is discreetly placed at the top of the cap, and the company name is embossed in very small letters on the back side of the cap, near the rim.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3001/2933438392_c0a31680d1_o.jpg

The M90 comes in a commemorative box, with a screed of Japanese marketing, the usual guarantee cards, and a cartridge of ink. One of the punishments for learning Japanese is that you can read the marketing bumph. :blink:

There was a CON-20 converter, as well. None of Pilot's larger converters will fit, so the CON-70 is not an option, alas. The CON-20 is a fairly tight fit in the M-90. Some people have been surprised by this: some firmness may be necessary to fully insert the converter. The image below shows my M90 with a converter installed, together with a spare to indicate how far it needs to be inserted.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3277/3014468646_a13c50c823.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3034/2930132701_e05da63061_o.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3211/2933404350_3bef12f759_o.jpg

The nib itself is quite stiff. Mine is a fine point, and as you'd expect from Pilot, it runs finer than most fine points from western manufacturers. The writing in the photos was written with this pen, using Mont Blanc blue ink. Another writing sample below:

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3010/2934067534_3e8a3ce07b.jpg

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3162/2931293452_8db47aee59_o.jpg

I paid $112.68 for this pen through Ujuku. It's a good price for the pen, but they currently have a long waiting list. The M90 is a limited edition of 9000, but it's hard to obtain at the moment. I'm hopeful that Pilot gets a good response to this limited edition, and sees an opportunity to release another MYU-style pen in the not-too-distant future.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3048/2930991918_dea5ae0105_o.jpg

Conclusion

Most commemorative pens are expensive, over-decorated, and doomed to a life in a display cabinet. Pilot released a couple of those for the 90th anniversary, but this is the one that people will remember. To their very great credit, the M90 is a resonably priced version of one of their iconic pens: an excellent way to commemorate their 90th anniversary. There is a long wait for this pen, but the wait is worth it.

パイロットの創立90周年おめでとうございます!

Edited by MYU

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• troglokev

• MYU

• mucephei

• Pen2009

Great review and a very nice Pilot pen. I hope can get one also. But I worry it will be slippery because there is no any trends on the grip area.

Great review and a very nice Pilot pen. I hope can get one also. But I worry it will be slippery because there is no any trends on the grip area.

I haven't found this to be an issue for me. The brushed finish helps, but the main thing is that it's a good comfortable size to hold. It's well balanced, and doesn't really need to be held in place.

Edited by troglokev

I haven't found this to be an issue for me. The brushed finish helps, but the main thing is that it's a good comfortable size to hold. It's well balanced, and doesn't really need to be held in place.

I'll second that observation. My fingertips can get pretty slippery if I've been writing for a long time or if I've been walking around the classroom touching student desks, markers, widgets, and what-nots... Anyway, I think the brushed finish on this pen does quite a bit to keep slipperiness as a non-factor. And, as troglokev noted, this is a very nicely balanced pen in a comfortable size that just seems to find the right spot to rest in your hand.

All the best,

Mike

Flow good, ooze bad!

Mike

Very cool. Thanks for the review. I've got a 701 that I carry with me every day and I'm on the waiting list for a '90.

(Like everybody else, I have NO problems with the smooth finish.)

Happy to oblige! As you can see, it's a "pocket pen".

Yeah...unfortunately it seems to like your pocket more than my pocket. *sigh* Where is MINE? BTW--more beautiful than Lamy! ;-) LOL

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

Happy to oblige! As you can see, it's a "pocket pen".

Yeah...unfortunately it seems to like your pocket more than my pocket. *sigh* Where is MINE? BTW--more beautiful than Lamy! ;-) LOL

A great deal more, I think! :)

http://www.aysedasi.co.uk

She turned me into a newt.......

• 3 weeks later...
I had a difficult times trying to fit the Con-20 in. do I need the extra pressure? I tried the cartridge and it went it just fine.

It should snap it. As you push in the converter, turn it clockwise.

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

I had a difficult times trying to fit the Con-20 in. do I need the extra pressure? I tried the cartridge and it went it just fine.

It's been a while since I did it, but I don't remember any particular problem. Fully inserted, there's about 2mm between the section and the notch for the press bar on the converter.

Edited by troglokev

Thanx guys i finally got it. needed an extra 'oomph' there. i guess it was easier to insert the cart than the con.

and by the way, i saw a number 908 under the word F on the body of the pen. Does this number means anything?

Thanx guys i finally got it. needed an extra 'oomph' there. i guess it was easier to insert the cart than the con.

and by the way, i saw a number 908 under the word F on the body of the pen. Does this number means anything?

That's the date of manufacture. Mine says 808.

• 6 months later...

Calling all M90 owners:

Any of you having a problem with ink creeping out of that breather hole at the end of the feed/underside of the nib? I first filled mine with Noodlers HoD and was having this problem big time. So much ink was creeping out that it was getting on the barrel and getting smeared around whilst capping/uncapping.

I emptied out the HoD and tried the included blue Pilot ink cartridge, figuring it would be more benign. It was fine for the first few days, but now it's giving me the same problem.

Would you recommend a little car wax, or does it sound like a manufacturing defect?

Hi,

Clean it carefully (cap and body), then let it dry. Refill the pen with the Pilot blue, and see if the problem persists. I have been using my Myu since September without any problems so far. I'd suggest staying away from Noodler's for this pen.

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

A stunning pen! I hope they issue this in a regular edition. Not a bad price, either!

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>