another 85L or a 76?

guy

I currently only have one CS vintage pen... an 85L with medium nib.

It is such a beautiful writer with Waterman Black ink that I want to buy another to take Waterman Violet.

I have the option of another 85L or a 76... I really cannot decide between the two, I'm tempted by the 85L as its a different finish. I have tried to find out about the 76 but only basic info out there (in the book of numbers).

Finally, both pens have a broad nib. Is the CS broad that much wider than the Medium? Does it compare well to a Pelikan B nib (I have a comparison chart for pelikan nibs)

Any help or suggestions much appreciated...

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• garythepenman

• Michael Wright

• andyr7

• guy

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hello Guy,

Both pens are very nice and a good size. The #76 is slightly longer.

The 85L has a CS #3 nib whilst the #76 should have a #5 nib. CS nibs are very nice and if broad write very nicely. I wouldn't compare with a Pelikan as CS nibs when broad tend to be slightly more "Stubby" than a Pelikan which are definitely rounded broads.

As you have an 85L already why not get another in a different colour. The choice is yours.

Gary

A wizard is never late, he arrives precisely when he means to.

Cheers Gary...

I didn't need much convincing, just bought the 76 with broad nib and green herringbone finish. Looking forward to this arriving in the next couple of days to fill with Waterman Violet. Have to think of another colour for the relegated Parker Senior Duofold. :P

http://www.hayton.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/images/e5_1_b.JPG

Great looking pen Guy,

The herringbone patterns are rather striking. You should do a review on it when it arrives and you've tried it out ?.

Gary

If you want one for red ink as well, I have a super red herringbone 85L (fully restored) poised and ready to be posted on ebay, probably on Thursday of this week!

Andy

Oh great Andy, what do I tell my kids now..more baked beans for dinner :lol: :lol:

I've just spent my current budget. :(

Gary

Not much of a herringbone person myself, I prefer others such as these:

85L in "Rasberry"

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/flea77/cs85lr.gif

and Executive 60 Cracked Ice

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/flea77/cs60ci-3.gif

and 58 in Tigerseye

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/flea77/cs58te.gif

and 85L in a blue with gold vein "almost cracked ice"

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/flea77/cs85lb.gif

Allan

aha ! more vintage conway Stewarts showing up, lovely stuff.

Gary

I like the cracked ice 60 btw.

I like the cracked ice 60 btw.

What a surprise! :D

Michael

who also likes the blue/gold vein, to be carefully distinguished from gold with blue vein, which would be a cheese

Great pens, Allan! However much the Cracked Ice is the sought after pattern I think I prefer some of the others, including Michael's favourite the blue/gold vein (the gold/blue vein being rather stronger and ideal when writing with port as ink!) and the Tiger's Eye is very nice, perhaps my favourite.

Maybe this is BECAUSE the cracked ice is so sought after!

Member of the No.1 Club

Greg, I like the cracked ice more because it's a 60 executive, I think the cracked ice pattern is over priced really and they are not visually as stunning as some of the CS patterns IMHO.

I have a near mint 58 tiger eye which is stunning. It always gets comments.

Michael, I love the gold with blue veins comment. A Conway Stilton perhaps ? :lol:

This #27 with the toothbrush pattern (also called cross hatch) is particularly nice.

Gary

post-33-1140461455_thumb.jpg

Allan

I'll just sit back and quietly lust after that pen. It really is lovely.

That 85l in blue with gold viens is a very nice looking pen, even better in person. And BTW, it has a really wet medium italic nib in it, sweet.

I like the crosshatch design too, but only have this brown 28 in that pattern:

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/flea77/cs28b.gif

The pic shows slightly more red than is really in it, but still a nice color.

Allan

A Conway Stilton perhaps ? :lol:

Grrooooaaannnn.

Thank heavens for the Cook Strait.

Michael

who had guessed that it was the *combination* of cracked ice and 60 that was the knockout

Allan

I'll just sit back and quietly lust after that pen. It really is lovely.

You see that's why I went for the green herringbone #76.

Because my other pen is a blue/gold vein 85L just like this one.

Hi Carrie,

If one should become available would you be interested ?. Blue with gold veins 85L that is.

Gary

If you want one for red ink as well, I have a super red herringbone 85L (fully restored) poised and ready to be posted on ebay, probably on Thursday of this week!

Andy

How much are you hoping to get for it ????

I have no idea of what they are worth....

Hi Tom,

I think all vintage pens are only worth what someone is willing to pay at any given time. I did sell a blue 85L herringbone in near mint condition for $US100. It was in exceptional condition though.

A few UK based websites offer these in excess of 200 pounds sterling, far too expensive unless you must have. Wasn't it PT Barnum that said something like "there's one born every minute" ?.

Gary

I did sell a blue 85L herringbone in near mint condition for $US100. It was in exceptional condition though.

A few UK based websites offer these in excess of 200 pounds sterling, far too expensive unless you must have.

He did so sell a superb blue herringbone 85L for $100, but it didn't stay on the market for long (and I'm in the same time zone as he is, so Rest of World didn't get much of a chance ;) )

There's been a big surge of interest in Conways recently; here in NZ about ten years ago you'd see them lying around in junktiques for not much money. Now they're a vogue pen, and when that happens it's pretty hard to set a fair-value price (I suspect that what really happens is that the standard deviation is very large, so an average isn't much of a guide). You should also be aware that British prices for many things are arrived at by thinking of a number you don't want to hear and doubling it.

Good luck

Michael

Now Michael, don't get me started on British prices. Probably need to add "commuter tax" or whatever it is to drive in London. :o

Michael, I only sell pens I would like to buy / would feel happy paying for and I'm chuffed it went to a good home. We've got to keep some good stuff to ourselves you know. ;)

I do note that all of a sudden there are a few Conways turning up on our local kiwi-ized version of ebay. Anyone want a "personal shopper ?" :lol:

Gary