HATE my new lamy 2000

Theo Moore

Well, I'll have to support biffybeans on this. Although it is surely annoying that many new pens don't write right out of the box because of leftover manufacturing oils, flushing it several times with a soapy solution made by putting about two drops of regular washing up liquid in a glass of water is the quickest and easiest option IMO. If it doesn't work then and is still scratchy, you can send it to Lamy Germany or sell it.

This should not be required on any pen in this price range, period. If Lamy is so negligent as to leave such debris in their pens, people should not be buying them.

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JJBlanche

• Theo Moore

• RevAaron

• stevo

Theo, sell it to menick. Sounds like a good out.

Hardly. I paid $18 to get it shipped from Malaysia to the UK. Selling it would lower the value even more, plus shipping costs and whatever.

I tried flushing out the pen multiple times with water and a drop of dishwashing soap, but no good. I know people have advised that I stick with it, but I just can't see this pen improving so drastically after prolonged use. At the moment, I wouldn't pay $5 for this pen, let alone its triple digit price-tag. Am I expecting too much? I don't think so. My only other FP is a Phileas. Is it because the $40 Phileas has spoiled me? I don't think so.

I think I'm going to send the pen back to them tomorrow asking for an F (instead of an EF). People have said the Fs are much smoother than the EFs -- I didn't listen. This way, the only financial hit I take is the cost of sending it to them. Better to spend a few quid now instead of regretting it later.

Edited by Theo Moore

1. Scratchiness is due to a mechanical issue, usually mis-aligned tines and thus the writing tip. A deformation of the tip or burr is less often the cause. Any change in ink that helps such a problem is just a band-aid; it doesn't fix the underlying issue.

2. Flow issues with a piston filler such as you describe can be due to several problems, all to do with constant delivery of the ink down the capillary fissures and to the nib: a. the nib's tines are too close together, starving the pen's capillary action (if they were too far apart, then they'd flood the paper or be too wet), b. The nib is too far from the feed or in poor contact, not allowing the ink to be held ready for absorption to the paper, c. The pen's internal ink feeding system has oils or other material that is preventing the ink from "wetting" the ink feeding mechanism (this is why the ammonia flush can work wonders. but if it's dried ink residue or dirt, then it needs to be taken apart), or d. the pen's design for ink delivery is faulty, not allowing proper exchange of ink and air (This is not easily curable, but is pretty rare. One of the Stipula 22's suffered from this problem, not fixable without major surgery.)

As I said before, I'd send it back to PenGallery, at their cost. Make THEM send it Lamy after they send you a new one. It's their fault that they didn't examine the pen before they sold it to you.

Skip

Skip Williams

www.skipwilliams.com/blog

As I said before, I'd send it back to PenGallery, at their cost. Make THEM send it Lamy after they send you a new one. It's their fault that they didn't examine the pen before they sold it to you.

Skip

Can I get them to pay for the shipping there?

I'm going to put in a plug here for the L2K since there are a few who malign it. The L2K was my first expensive pen three years ago, and after an M400, M140, Townsend, Apogee, Optima, and Yard-O-Led, it is still my default go-to pen. It can travel anywhere, from a stockyard to the board room, and both perform and retain its distinctive understated appearance.

I would agree regarding ammonia: I wouldn't feel comfortable putting that through a pen that I might return.

Regarding dish soap, I've used a squirt from the bottle mixed with water in a shot glass. That's a strong solution, but if that doesn't remove grease, you don't need to go any further.

Please don't be discouraged. If it takes sending the pen back for replacement or adjustment, I think you'll find yourself attached to this classy, reliable pen once it writes properly. They have been in production for 50 years because they won many hearts ....

I wish you well. Let us know what happens.

Sounds like you got a 2000 with misaligned tines. I've used both XF and F nibs on a 2000 - both good - and neither was scratchy.

I can understand your irritation. It sucks, but it happens... and not just with Lamy (although the 2000s are almost notorious for having problems, lately). I think you should reserve final judgment of the pen until you get it working properly. They really are great writers when they're good.

An empty can usually makes the loudest noise.

Wow, what a great discussion! Isn't it a funny thing, this uniquely human quality of collecting? There were those who love and lust for the beauty and grace of an English automobile, though they be notorious for failing to start in the rain; others seek wrist watches that lose time and require us to do manual work although far more accurate and maintenance free quartz alternatives are available. And then there is us, the fountain pen collector. We cherish brands that others would crush beneath their heel while we scowl with malice at the chosen quill of another. I myself am slavishly drawn to the summit of MB though I know that one of every two nibs I try refuses to "start in the rain" or "requires manual work" when other choices work better.

Yet through it all we are united in our love for these flawed creations - even if the creation we chose is unflawed - because we know that others scoff at us collectively for our quixotic devotion to a pursuit that they judge has passed its time. So, should our pen work out of the box on the first stroke? Perhaps. But do we love our pens for their perfection or because of their imperfections?

Something to think about...

Regards,

Vintner

Skip

Can I get them to pay for the shipping there?

Put in a claim with PayPal, noting the item was not as described (defective).

Wow, what a great discussion! Isn't it a funny thing, this uniquely human quality of collecting? There were those who love and lust for the beauty and grace of an English automobile, though they be notorious for failing to start in the rain; others seek wrist watches that lose time and require us to do manual work although far more accurate and maintenance free quartz alternatives are available. And then there is us, the fountain pen collector. We cherish brands that others would crush beneath their heel while we scowl with malice at the chosen quill of another. I myself am slavishly drawn to the summit of MB though I know that one of every two nibs I try refuses to "start in the rain" or "requires manual work" when other choices work better.

Yet through it all we are united in our love for these flawed creations - even if the creation we chose is unflawed - because we know that others scoff at us collectively for our quixotic devotion to a pursuit that they judge has passed its time. So, should our pen work out of the box on the first stroke? Perhaps. But do we love our pens for their perfection or because of their imperfections?

Something to think about...

Regards,

Vintner

Poetic and interesting. The issue here, though, is that a man bought a pen that just doesn't work the way it should. If someone bought an English car, and it didn't start in the rain, there would be a similar issue. Some may find these faults grounds for endearment, but most do not.

Of course, comparisons and analogies are not that simple. I like mechanical wrists watches because of the craftsmanship. Many people are the same way regarding fountains pens vs. mass produced fodder. In this case, the quirks are what draw the people to these products, not push them away (eg: I can't imagine anyone being attracted to a car because it doesn't start in the rain).

Edited by JJBlanche

Well, I'll have to support biffybeans on this. Although it is surely annoying that many new pens don't write right out of the box because of leftover manufacturing oils, flushing it several times with a soapy solution made by putting about two drops of regular washing up liquid in a glass of water is the quickest and easiest option IMO. If it doesn't work then and is still scratchy, you can send it to Lamy Germany or sell it.

This should not be required on any pen in this price range, period. If Lamy is so negligent as to leave such debris in their pens, people should not be buying them.

I couldn't agree more!!

(Which is why I love all of my Sheaffers & my Waterman Kultur so much)

Edited by Nellie

My 2000 has not been perfect but is a good writer.

Far better then the majority of MB, Bexley, and Conway Stewart pens I've tried/owned!

I got mine used and sent it off to Lamy service who replaced a missing part, cleaned it, and checked the flow. All for free!

Lamy's write very well in my experience and this one should also.

Lamy service will make it write like it should.

My L2K came back from the Lamy repair shop and it did the same thing the original poster is talking about. I flushed & re-filled it with about 10 different inks before trying the ammonia/water solution that someone else here on the FPN suggested. The next fill, the pen wrote much better, and the pen is now in the hands of someone that thinks it's the best writer since sliced bread.

Your Lamy 2000 could have had more than one problem, including a nib that had too tight a slit in addition to a clogged feed. It's possible that applying pressure could have solved the nib problem in your case by slightly springing the tines, which takes some luck. It's hard to tell what happened without actually examining the nib.

However, in the original poster's case, requiring significant pressure to write is definitely indicative of a nib problem, which may or may not eventually work itself out through "breaking in."

Thing is, if I'm going to be spending $100 on a pen, is it too much to expect it to work out of the box?

In my opinion, no, but that's how things currently are, it seems. :rolleyes:

I tried flushing out the pen multiple times with water and a drop of dishwashing soap, but no good.

That's a good precaution against a different potential problem, but your pen definitely has a nib problem. In my opinion, if a fountain pen requires pressure to write, then it's defective (unless it has a true flex nib).

I know people have advised that I stick with it, but I just can't see this pen improving so drastically after prolonged use.

It depends on the exact nature of the problem, but requiring pressure to write usually indicates a need for repair.

At the moment, I wouldn't pay $5 for this pen, let alone its triple digit price-tag. Am I expecting too much? I don't think so. My only other FP is a Phileas. Is it because the $40 Phileas has spoiled me? I don't think so.

Although I'm sure there are some defective ones, too, in general the Philéas is a good writer out of the box. It doesn't take much to make a good writer. A properly adjusted $20 pen could write as well as any $1000 pen and better than most.

I think I'm going to send the pen back to them tomorrow asking for an F (instead of an EF). People have said the Fs are much smoother than the EFs -- I didn't listen.

Any nib can be scratchy or otherwise defective. If you're going to change the point size, then I hope that you like the new size and that you don't get a defective nib this time around.

2. Flow issues with a piston filler such as you describe can be due to several problems, all to do with constant delivery of the ink down the capillary fissures and to the nib: a. the nib's tines are too close together, starving the pen's capillary action

The tines being too close together seems to be a very common problem these days. Many pens actually have tines that press against each other near the tip hard enough to practically seal them. Not only does this make the pen require pressure in order to write (you have to bend the tines apart), such a tight space is easily clogged by dried ink or paper fibers (which are also more likely to be scraped up by applying pressure). I bet that a lot of people simply put up with this issue (as long as it's not too severe), which is why I'm always emphasizing that it's a defect.

(if they were too far apart, then they'd flood the paper or be too wet),

And if they were really far apart and diverging, then the pen would alternate between blobbing and skipping, effectively dripping onto the page. This is a rare problem, of course, being that most tines are too close together from the factory.

Not me--I use fountain pens because I think that this is a great type of pen that can work really well. If a particular fountain pen does not work well, regardless of its brand, then I'll fix it or else it would be worthless as a pen. And if a particular brand were known for having a lot of defects, then I would tend to avoid it (not saying this about Lamy specifically just yet, but they'd better get back on the ball with their QC, pronto!).

Sorry for being a "spoiled sport" here ;), but I don't love fountain pens (or anything else for that matter) for their imperfections. But that's just me, of course.

+2 And the reason I'd never buy a L2K despite its interesting design. With this many people complaining about a particular product, the manufacturer has to take some responsibility for selling defective pens. I'm glad some love their L2K's but this many people can't be wrong.

MrR

+2 And the reason I'd never buy a L2K despite its interesting design. With this many people complaining about a particular product, the manufacturer has to take some responsibility for selling defective pens. I'm glad some love their L2K's but this many people can't be wrong.

MrR

MrR -

I have to disagree. First, I really don't think that four or five people quantifies as "many people." It's more like, four or five. Second, Lamy DOES take responsibility for selling defective pens. They have one of, if not the best, warranty. While I have never had to use their service, others have and have reported no problems. Compare that to any other industry and I'm pretty sure that would be taking responsibility. And lastly, I find it quite humorous that those of you (JJBlanche as well) who have never owned a Lamy 2000 disparage it at almost every turn.

You should buy one. If you don't like it, I'm sure you'll be able to sell it on here or use their warranty. Either way, it will give you a better perspective on the pen. Personally, I really like the EF I had and the F that I traded it for. As for the OP, sleep on it. There will be a way to get it repaired and once it is, you'll like it.

John

True 4 or 5 people is not a large sample, however, in a 3 pg thread we also have only 5 people who speak positively about the Lamy 2000. So if 50% of people who buy it dislike it, it seems good measure to avoid it.

Thats great that they have a good service dept but I'm also not going to spend 100$ on a pen that will likely need servicing out of the box. I suppose at some point Ill purchase this pen just out of sheer curiousity but ill definately have my fingers crossed

MrR

we also have only 5 people who speak positively about the Lamy 2000.
let me be the 6th. :rolleyes:

I love my LAMY 2000; yes, I had to send it back because of the leaking problems, but the service was good and quick (Lamy Germany). now it is good writer with the unique design.

for statistical results on L2K, the opinion pool would be better measure that this thread.

MrR

MrR -

And lastly, I find it quite humorous that those of you (JJBlanche as well) who have never owned a Lamy 2000 disparage it at almost every turn.

I have used multiple 2000s, and chose not to buy one based upon what I deem inferior performance, as well as consistent reports of on/off quality (ie: some get great examples and love them, some get poor examples and hate them). If Richard, nibs.com, etc, offered 2000s tuned out of the box, I'd pick one up. I've mentioned on several occasions that I find the design interesting, but would not be willing to buy one "off the shelf."

There was a thread a while back, where someone was considering a Lamy 2000. A Lamy fan said something to the effect of "Well, if you buy one and don't like it, I'll buy it from you," to which I replied, "If I can get that same guarantee, I'll buy one tomorrow." Never got a response.

we also have only 5 people who speak positively about the Lamy 2000.
let me be the 6th. :rolleyes:

I love my LAMY 2000; yes, I had to send it back because of the leaking problems, but the service was good and quick (Lamy Germany). now it is good writer with the unique design.

for statistical results on L2K, the opinion pool would be better measure that this thread.

Let me be clear for a second as my previous post may have come off wrong. I certainly don't begrudge anyone who is in favor of the L2K. I just dont think a 100$ pen should be bought with the assumption that a trip back to the manufacturer for repair is a likely possibility. Just doesnt make sense to me.

Its becoming more and more clear that I need to get one of these things to decide for myself!

MrR

Edited by MrRogers

This is an interesting discussion- we've covered the philosophy of desire, the mechanics of writing instruments, the nature of evidence and touched on MGs (or maybe Austin-Healeys). Excellent.

I have recent experience with a 2K to chuck into the mix. I LOVE the Bauhaus design, and the piston filling. Fabulous. But the pen never felt right in my hand. The nib took some pressure to write, and had a TINY sweet spot, both before and after return to Germany for repair. IT started off an EF and came back an F (at my request) to no avail. I ended up selling it, no hard feelings, just not for me. In the end I concluded it was designed for smaller hands. So I lost money, but learned something and hopefully somebody is happy with the pen.

My experience with the 2K got me thinking about what I have called "the loyalty of objects." It seems to me that we ascribe loyalty to some objects and not others. So my faceted VP and my Dani-Trio have both needed some work, but I see them as enormously loyal friends. Same with my old vac and my 51. I think this is a really interesting phenomenom.

Now, I'm not claiming that these writing sticks are really loyal to me in the way my elderly German Shepherd is! I just think it's really interesting that our minds work this way, and that some bits of plastic and metal inspire it so strongly while others do not. It is a form of the pathetic fallacy, I suppose, that lends emotional depth and a form of meaning to our interactions with the most intimate objects of our life.

Now I have to go and take the child to school. And then come home and, hopefully, have time for some writing :-)

Ralf