HATE my new lamy 2000

Theo Moore

I have to be honest, folks. I got my Lamy 2000 EF today, and I was severely disappointed after playing with it for less than a minute. The pen is scratchy, refuses to make consistent lines, and takes more pressure than I'd like to get a line going on the paper. Compared to my Waterman Phileas, which could write with essentially no pressure other than gravity and which cost 1/3 of the price, this is just infuriating.

What do I do? Do I return it to PenGallery? Do I ask for a F instead? Do I go through Lamy?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JJBlanche

• Theo Moore

• RevAaron

• stevo

I have to be honest, folks. I got my Lamy 2000 EF today, and I was severely disappointed after playing with it for less than a minute. The pen is scratchy, refuses to make consistent lines, and takes more pressure than I'd like to get a line going on the paper. Compared to my Waterman Phileas, which could write with essentially no pressure other than gravity and which cost 1/3 of the price, this is just infuriating.

What do I do? Do I return it to PenGallery? Do I ask for a F instead? Do I go through Lamy?

I would encourage you to return it for a refund, or as credit toward a Pelikan. All the Lamys I've used were scratchy as well, and generally a disappointment. I find the design of the 2000 interesting, but I would not be willing to risk buying the pen and getting a dud.

Going through Lamy warranty repair is probably more trouble than it's worth: Trust me on this, if you can, just return it now for a refund and save yourself the headaches down the road.

Even though I had lots of issues with this pen......before you send it back - try flushing it with a mixture of ammonia & water. (small amount of ammonia to a lot of water.) Flush it many times...... Refill with ink, and then see how it writes. If you still hate it, send it back.

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

Even though I had lots of issues with this pen......before you send it back - try flushing it with a mixture of ammonia & water. (small amount of ammonia to a lot of water.) Flush it many times...... Refill with ink, and then see how it writes. If you still hate it, send it back.

DON'T risk corrupting the pen with ammonia mixtures. I know enough from tuning pens to know that this is not an issue that can be solved via chemical means. Call or email the store you bought it from, say it's a dud, and get them to take it back.

Um....I will have to disagree here. My L2K came back from the Lamy repair shop and it did the same thing the original poster is talking about. I flushed & re-filled it with about 10 different inks before trying the ammonia/water solution that someone else here on the FPN suggested. The next fill, the pen wrote much better, and the pen is now in the hands of someone that thinks it's the best writer since sliced bread.

Sometimes these things need a little breaking in time, and returning it so hastily will not necessarily solve the problem. If he's inked the pen, they will probably only be willing to exchange it, and so when he gets another one just like it.....

DON'T risk corrupting the pen with ammonia mixtures. I know enough from tuning pens to know that this is not an issue that can be solved via chemical means. Call or email the store you bought it from, say it's a dud, and get them to take it back.

<span style='font-family: Georgia'><span style='font-size: 14px;'><strong class='bbc'> Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith</strong></span><p><a href='http://www.biffybeans.com/' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Blog: Spiritual Evolution of the Bean</a><p><a href='http://www.etsy.com/shop/biffybeans?ref=si_shop' class='bbc_url' title='External link' rel='nofollow external'>Purchase Stephanie "Biffybeans" Smith's Original Art on Etsy</a>

I bought mine new (I got tired of always losing the IM'ing here on the forums :( )- and EF as well. I love the pen, but I sent it back for service, to Lamy USA. The tines weren't aligned! Making it scratchy... I haven't gotten it back yet, but I've always had great service from Lamy USA for any repair work done on my other Lamys.

Edited by dennisraines

Thing is, if I'm going to be spending $100 on a pen, is it too much to expect it to work out of the box? This isn't some el-cheapo bic from Staples, now.

Anyways, PenGallery is in Malaysia. I'd have to pay for shipping to the shop. Is there a Lamy UK repair?

Seriously, this is annoying.

Going through Lamy warranty repair is probably more trouble than it's worth: Trust me on this, if you can, just return it now for a refund and save yourself the headaches down the road.

Can you say more about your exprience with Lamy warranty repairs? I sent mine in for a flow issue.

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

If it's new, make Pengallery them fix it or give you a new pen. My 2000 was a superb writer, very dependable, and super-smooth. It's not adjusted right. Don't think that changing the nib's width is the solution; the problem is with THAT specific nib on THAT pen.

Skip

Skip Williams

www.skipwilliams.com/blog

Thing is, if I'm going to be spending $100 on a pen, is it too much to expect it to work out of the box? This isn't some el-cheapo bic from Staples, now.

Anyways, PenGallery is in Malaysia. I'd have to pay for shipping to the shop. Is there a Lamy UK repair?

That's my point. Scratchiness, 10 times out of 10 in my experience, is due to a mechanical issue (ie: tines being misaligned, burr, etc etc etc). Cleaning the pen with a solvent will not correct these issues, and may create new ones. I've worked on nearly 600 pens to this point, so I can say with some degree of certainty that I know what I'm talking about.

You'll have to pay to ship the pen to Lamy in Germany, and have to pay a service charge for them to work on your pen. As I said, your best recourse would be to return the pen to the seller. Base rate international shipping is not at all expensive, and is dependable. But the ball is in your court, as they say.

I've had good experience with mine but it's a fine that writes more like a medium. It did leak and I sent it back for a warranteed repair and it was returned in 6 weeks.

I know there's been trouble with the EF's. Maybe I've been lucky. I like the size, my only complaint about the 2000 is its very light. Also I have several Safari's, Al-Stars, and a Studio palladium and I like all of them. It can happen I had a Namiki Falcon that had a bad nib and had it adjusted. Also I like a very wet pen that glides across the paper with no bite at all and I am very "fussy" about the smoothness of my nibs as it helps my other wise bad hand writing.

Have it repaired. Give a pen a chance :D

Edited by Pippin60

The difference between the almost right word & the right word is really a large matter--it's the difference between the lightning bug and the lightning.

- Mark Twain in a Letter to George Bainton, 10/15/1888

I'm sad that you aren't enjoying your new Lamy 2K, because I honestly love mine so much. The nib is amazing! Having said that I traded it from someone who wasn't that impressed with the nib and it did take me a few weeks to properly fall in love. But now, I don't want to write with any other pen - ever. I'm really glad I persevered with it, because the ink capacity and the ink window, as well as the fantastic design, make this a near perfect pen.

Send it back to the vendor and request an exchange and hopefully the next one should be perfect.

Leonie

@leoniethomas18

The Lamy 2000 EF has a very small footprint. If the ink isn't properly flowing, it's going to appear "scratchy." Mine was hard starting and skipping and a general mess - and this was with a new EF nib!

We should also take a moment to consider what kind of ink was put into it and what kind of paper is being written on. Mine (with a replaced EF nib & feed) was HORRIBLY scratchy on a Moleskine, but once I flushed it was much smoother & smooth as glass in an ePure.

This person bought a pen from out of the country. When he did that, there was a time to consider what would happen if it had to be sent back for replacement or repair. That cost should be calculated in the overall "cost" of the pen.

Did the buyer say he was from Germany? I'm not sure. There is Lamy repair in the US, and if it's new and under warranty, he will only have to pay postage one way - no fee to repair.

That's my point. Scratchiness, 10 times out of 10 in my experience, is due to a mechanical issue (ie: tines being misaligned, burr, etc etc etc). Cleaning the pen with a solvent will not correct these issues, and may create new ones. I've worked on nearly 600 pens to this point, so I can say with some degree of certainty that I know what I'm talking about.

You'll have to pay to ship the pen to Lamy in Germany, and have to pay a service charge for them to work on your pen. As I said, your best recourse would be to return the pen to the seller. Base rate international shipping is not at all expensive, and is dependable. But the ball is in your court, as they say.

If you decide to send the pen back to Lamy from the UK, it would need to be returned to their service centre in Germany. Their web site gives more details and the address here.

You should sell it to me.

That would be my third 2000.

I like them that much.

I agree that ink flow from new lamy pens is sometime a problem with leftover grease in the system (minimal amount). Flush with soapy water and then with water helped with my titanium persona (it is flawless now!)

About scratchiness... did I mention you selling it to me?

nick

For sale: nothing!

Looking for: money!

To Buy: Visconti Titanium Skeleton, Omas Ogiva Demo (HT Piston filler), Stipula Etruria nuda, other demos :P

Sell it and buy another pen. I don't have anything against Lamy, I'm not even saying that they are bad pens, it's just that they have no real Charavter (IMO). Buy instead a good pen instead for the same dough plus or minus 50% e.g. a Phil or an Charleton or an M215.

Mike

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Well, I'll have to support biffybeans on this. Although it is surely annoying that many new pens don't write right out of the box because of leftover manufacturing oils, flushing it several times with a soapy solution made by putting about two drops of regular washing up liquid in a glass of water is the quickest and easiest option IMO. If it doesn't work then and is still scratchy, you can send it to Lamy Germany or sell it.