Basildon Bond stationery - a post for the UK contingent

MiniMaupassant

I recently decided that I really liked the post quarto size of stationery for snailing and discovered via the web that Basildon Bond do a whole range of writing paper and envelopes in this size and in a range of colours. They also advertise their range to be 'fountain pen friendly', so I just had to get some to try them out.

Having gone to WH Smiths, I discovered this was the case AND that they also manufacture post quarto airmail stationery.

I had a bit of a field day looking through all the stock and bought white, champagne and pink (well, it is my favourite colour!) writing pads and envelopes, but still wasn't convinced of the quality. For some reason, I had the impression that Basildon Bond stuff was a bit naff and rubbish.

However, I couldn't have been more wrong!

The quality of the paper and envelopes is fanatastic; not smooth and glassy like Clairefontaine, but certainly smooth enough AND FP friendly. :thumbup:

Also, I am pleased to have found decent quality airmail paper..... it has reduced the cost of a letter by HALF!!! (Not that I am a tight wad, but we are experiencing some economic traumas at present, don'tcha know?)

I just wanted to share this info with everyone that has access to these products, as they are great quality and great value, coming in at under £2 each for post quarto paper and envelopes.

Leonie

Basildon Bond website

@leoniethomas18

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• GreyPix

• migo984

• Cryptos

• domnortheast

I recently found an old pad of Basildon Bond writing paper and was pleasantly surprised at how well it took fountain pen ink.

It is a bit of a bargain too.

I hadn't thought of trying their airmail paper - thanks for the recommendation.

Their writing pads are excellent, and they also have two pages of blotting paper and a line guide with each pad.

No C5 envelopes though :(

I will be sticking to Rhodia paper / Conqueror envelopes for the foreseeable future

• 1 month later...
No C5 envelopes though :(

I will be sticking to Rhodia paper / Conqueror envelopes for the foreseeable future

OK, but you have to admit that Conqueror is in a completely different price-bracket...I don't know about Rhodia.

BB is amazing VFM.... Dickinson also used to make a super-smooth paper called Queen's velvet, which I liked a lot.

If you make people think they're thinking, they'll love you; But if you really make them think, they'll hate you.

Don Marquis

US humorist (1878 - 1937)

It is one of my old standards too - have been using it for years, although the range here gets smaller and smaller and less colour choices now. But it is a good old friend.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

Another Basildon Bond fan here. :thumbup:

I used to write, with both fountain pen and crow quill dip pen, using Parker Quink Black, and had no problems whatsoever.

However, as inkypete says, it's getting harder and harder to find in Aus. :glare:

fpn_1412827311__pg_d_104def64.gif

“Them as can do has to do for them as can’t.

And someone has to speak up for them as has no voices.”

Granny Aching

Another Basildon Bond fan here. :thumbup:

I used to write, with both fountain pen and crow quill dip pen, using Parker Quink Black, and had no problems whatsoever.

However, as inkypete says, it's getting harder and harder to find in Aus. :glare:

Ironically I found my last lot at a local newsagency.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/7260/postminipo0.png

• 2 months later...

I just received a letter from Leonie written on Basildon Bond stationery. Wonderful stuff! Too bad that FP friendly stationery is much more difficult to locate here in the US. I have contacted the company to see if it's available from a source in the US.

Edited by Jared

:happyberet: I was fortunate to find Basildon Bond in a small shop in Bowmore, Islay, June 2007. It looked good but was not familiar with its characteristics. They stocked paper and envelopes in 3 sizes. I came home with enough paper to last a while. It takes FP ink beautifully. :)

Henrico

• 6 years later...

My grandparents, parents used it and I used it. Now can't find it at all which is a shame as I wanted to introduce it to my children as they write letters. Sigh!

My grandparents, parents used it and I used it. Now can't find it at all which is a shame as I wanted to introduce it to my children as they write letters. Sigh!

W H Smith sells it. And some Post Offices. I've also seen it in Rymans. I also buy it from Amazon - they have all sizes, plus envelopes. Supplied by K Direct

Edited by migo984

Verba volant, scripta manent

Cheers.

Oops sorry - I didn't check your location. My mistake in assuming you are UK based.

Verba volant, scripta manent

Not a problem. :-)

Next time I manage a trip back to Blighty I will see what is available.

I also have and use a variety of sizes and colours of BB from the small Duke pads, A5, Post Quarto etc and recommend it though with some caveats.

I stopped using it for a while as I found that it caused some inks to feather especially if using broader nibs and writing on the reverse as well (I am a skinflint and use both sides unless it is a very personal letter), however, since switching to using Registrar's inks that is no longer a problem as these are so well behaved and stay crisp and clear with no feathering from any of my pens so it is back in regular use once more.

As an aside while up in Edinburgh recently I found and bought some writing pads made by a company called Southfield and called Caledonia. I bought a couple of pads of the Classic Smooth ones, one white and the other ivory along with matching envelopes. At £2.40 a pad they are a bargain and excellent with FPS.

Edited by Stanley Howler

My dear old Mum sent me a Basildon Bond pad and envelopes a few months back. I grew up with the association that the brand was synonymous with proper letter writing, and I have always liked the paper. Sadly, that's where the story ends. This brand is, along with pretty much everything else, not available in New Zealand (unless I want to pay a fortune to some faceless shipping agent). Fond memories though.

And of course there was the irrepressible Russ Abbot

fpn_1436603381__basildon_bond.jpg

"The name's Bond. Basildon Bond"

Edited by Cardboard_Tube

'Sadly, that's where the story ends. This brand is, along with pretty much everything else, not available in New Zealand (unless I want to pay a fortune to some faceless shipping agent).'

A quick trawl round the web appears to confirm this, a real dearth of stationery stores of The Goulet Pen Company and Cult Pens type in NZ. Do Kiwis not write letters? A gap in the market perhaps for an enterprising soul with a knowledge of paper, pens and personal stationery.

Edited by Stanley Howler