Am I missing something?

Elaine

What is the reference to Areola? I thought it was a troll, but the post seems legit as well as follow up posts. Is it a reference to a band? Just when I though my head was working right again.

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Elaine

• Mastering

• Titivillus

• Karin

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

What is the reference to Areola? I thought it was a troll, but the post seems legit as well as follow up posts. Is it a reference to a band? Just when I though my head was working right again.

Any further information would be appreciated!

K

Edited by Tytyvyllus

I certainly hope I didn't offend anyone. If I did I sincerely appologize. I also didn't expect a forum requesting I list my "Favorite Profane word" in my Personal profile having trouble with the word "Areola" but I will do my best to explain.

The "Areola" reference comes from the period in my life when I was a disk jockey. My job was to keep my radio program "The Rock Box" which ended at midnight as interesting as possible. I like to be creative with language and would begin and end my show with the word "Areola" using it as a salutation. After realising that very few of my listeners actually knew what that word meant (since the phone lines didn't light up), that it might stir up some sort of interest and someone might actually grab a dictionary and look it up.

No such luck...I used the word for quite some time opening and ending my show and it just became my intro and exit. Finally a caller asked me over the air about the word and his question went something like this.

"My friends and I would like to know how many different languages you speak? I told him that I only speak the english language. He replied "Aren't you afraid that you will say "Areola" around someone who actually speaks the language that the word comes from and will try to talk to you in that language? Wouldn't that embarrass you?"

After playing with him on the air for a few minutes I suggested he look it up in the English Dictionary. He never called back. ;)

I guess you just had to be there. But honestly it's just my feeble attempt of making the world around me more aware of the tools and power they have available in language.

I still use the word as a "Salutation" and to this day most people have absolutely no idea what it means and some assume it is a word from another language.

Im a fairly lite hearted guy but am coming to realise that we are allowing ourselves to be taken advantage of. We are underpaid, overworked and overtaxed as a society. People are dying at alarming rates due to health issues because of their own ignorance. Our diet's are horrible, we are being overmedicated by our physicians and we are taking the direction of people who do not have our best interest at heart.

I think it behooves us to learn everything we can about our surroundings, what we should and shouldn't be putting in our bodies and what WORDS actually MEAN in OUR OWN language.

After all Knowledge IS power. :)

Mastering

Edited by Mastering

Hi Mastering,

I did know the meaning of that word (obviously a few of us did :D ) but in looking it up I found a couple of other meanings too.

What an interesting and provocative way to get people involved in literacy.

Welcome :bunny1: :bunny1:

Fountain Pen Abundance

I certainly hope I didn't offend anyone. If I did I sincerely appologize. I also didn't expect a forum requesting I list my "Favorite Profane word" in my Personal profile having trouble with the word "Areola" but I will do my best to explain.

. . . After realising that very few of my listeners actually knew what that word meant (since the phone lines didn't light up), that it might stir up some sort of interest and someone might actually grab a dictionary and look it up.

Agree with you on the "favorite profane word" - surprised that was there myself when I first saw it.

Regarding the meaning of the word, I actually did grab a dictionary to see if there was another meaning other than the most familar one.

are•o•la \ə-ˈrē-ə-lə\ noun

plural are•o•lae \-ˌlē\ or are•o•las

[New Latin, from Latin, small open space, diminutive of area]

(1664)

: a small area between things or about something; especially : a colored ring (as about the nipple, a vesicle, or a pustule)

— are•o•lar \-lər\ adjective

— are•o•late \-lət\ adjective

Merriam-Webster, Inc. Merriam-Webster's Collegiate Dictionary. 10th ed. Springfield, Mass., U.S.A.: Merriam-Webster, 1996, c1993.

Interesting.

southpaw

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

Sorry Mastering. My post was supposed to be in the admin discussion forum (not visible to members :ph34r: ). I was just trying to figure out the reference since there was none in your post. We watch for potential flames and I was just bringing it up to the admins as a possible thread to watch. No offence taken.

Welcome to the FPN!

No Problem,

Thanks for keeping our board safe :)

Well at least it shows me that that the fine folks on this board are paying attention to what they are reading.

Mastering

I agree that the use of what are contemporaneously obscure words is a plus. I would go as far as to say it embigens :lol: us all. I also agreed about your sentiment regarding social ... trends, shall we call them. Welcome aboard.

Edited by rigo311