Parker Vacumatic-review

goodguy

A review on a common pen. There is nothing rare, unique or special about this pen.

It’s either the standard or major model not even sure.

This pen isn’t expensive either, you can get it fully serviced for 70$-100$

So what do you get for this money if it’s not so unique ?

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/ParkerVacumatic002.jpg

Well actually you get a 1930's technology that simply works great. The pen will take a lot of ink for a pen its size.

It was the predecessor of the Parker 51 and as much as I like and respect the 51 (and I really do) I love the Vacumatic even better.

For me its fountain pen at its best. One of the classiest pens ever produced. I love the stripped streamlined body.

If you are lucky you might find a pen with the semi transparent body as the pen was intended to be. Most of the Vacumatics has lost that transparency through the years as the barrel came in contact with the ink.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/ParkerVacumatic003.jpg

The pen is very light weight and the section is quite thin which is a surprise as today pen makers tend to make the section fat. I wasn’t sure if I liked this but after few hours of use I found it to be very comfortable and pleasant to use.

I love the silver stripes on the body. The Vacumatics came in few different colours and I enjoy looking at them all.

My favorites are the red and blue.

Visconti took this idea and implemented it on few of its successful models like the Wall Street, Copernicus...etc

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/ParkerVacumatic005.jpg

To fill the pen you unscrew the blind cap then dip the section in ink and press the button few times. As I said the pen holds a nice amount of ink that to my experience holds more then an equivalent size lever filled pen.

The nib on this pen is a Medium or a fat fine not sure. Well I am loving this nib, its glass smooth but very nice feedback to it.

The ink flow on it is wonderful too being wet and consistent.

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/ParkerVacumatic001.jpg

What can I say the simplicity of this pen has won me over. I took it to work and started to use it and its charm overtook me slowly to a point I decided to put the Paragon in the cabinet for few days. Using a relatively smaller pen in comparison to the full size Paragon is very refreshing. I find myself reaching to the pen and doodling with it while going from one call to another in the building. I also enjoying filling the daily logs I must fill.

Don’t miss of the opportunity to try this simple and wonderful pen. These are very sturdy and reliable pen.

If you will get one from eBay it probably will need to be serviced by a pen tech but once the pen is lovingly restored by a pro it will serve you for years reliably.

Last picture my cat with a little cloud on his head (isnt he funny and cute ?) :ltcapd: :roflmho: :ltcapd:

http://i516.photobucket.com/albums/u330/alfa170a/ParkerVacumatic008.jpg

Edited by goodguy

Respect to all

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• goodguy

• J English Smith

• rroossinck

• ppenloverr

lovely picture as always ;) I must add one thing however that the american made vacs were mostly fitted with stiff nibs unlike the canadian and french made vacs which were having smooth flexible nibs. The vac system was based on the button filler system but was rethought completely which was in fact an improvement of it. The lever system is more fragile than a vac one so I wouldn't compare both systems. The vac has also an open nib which wasn't the case of the 51 which has a hooded stiff nib especially made for writing through carbon copies.

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

The props and cat in your pictures always crack me up--great review--thanks.

www.stevelightart.com

• 2 weeks later...
I love these pens too! I am also quite fond of cats, great review!

Well you see pens and cats go beautifuly together :bunny01:

Respect to all

• 1 month later...

Arn - My new Vac looks just like yours. Just inked it tonight. A silver major with nickel trim. Got it for just $63 shipped from eBay (Mike McConnell - Wet, Inc.) A very nice writer and in great shape! I love the nibs with the arrow motif. The size was a surprise - it is exactly the same size as a 51 Demi. I was expecting it to be bigger - but I do really like this size - very comfortable to hold and write with for a long time.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Well it's about time, Joe!!! You've only been wanting one for how long now? You could do a lot worse than a McConnell restoration, too. Mike does excellent work, from what I've observed. Never owned one, though.

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1118/726404937_328386ddc6_o.jpg

Brassing Adds Character: Available by clicking on my signature.

Thanks, Ryan! The nib on this one is quite nice, good imprint too. Yes, I'd pulled up his (Mike's) web site several times looking at 51s, watched the supply dwindle over the summer and then I thought he was out of business when nothing was left. Then about a week ago I was on the 'bay and there he was with about 20-30 pens. I did wait a long while to get the Vac but this seems to be a nice average example that writes very well. I like the nickel trim on it too, nice match with the silver body.

All good things come to those who wait. Maybe one day even to my 401(k)? I can dream.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

Great review! Love the cat! Okay this post makes me want to go and ink up my Vac.

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

Thanks for a great review!

Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose.

There is no snooze button on a cat wanting breakfast.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

Thanks for the great review. How much ink does it hold?

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Thanks for the great review. How much ink does it hold?

Thank you all for the complements.

As for how much ink that it holds.

I cant tell you ink ML but I was surprised to see it holds about the same amount a piston of the same size.

Respect to all