The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Review: Omas Paragon Milord

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 03:52

Omas Paragon Milord, Old Style
Slate Gray; with .6mm cursive italic nib by John Mottishaw

The old-style Paragon Milord is a remarkable pen. It is a good thing I did not buy it in the early days
of my fountain pen use when I was looking for just one impeccably-styled great writer, because
honestly that may have been the end of it. This is the kind of pen that could serve as your one and
only daily writer and you would not look back.

Sadly, the old style Paragons have been replaced by what I consider to be less appealing models. So
if you are thinking of buying one, act soon: only a few retails still have them on offer.

Others have written pretty good reviews of this pen's charms already, so I will try to add something
new. Here are just some of the features that make it special:

Impeccable Styling: This pen radiates subdued beauty and good taste. You could say that it is
the "anti-bling" pen. The wow-factor of the Milord's looks is in the details. The faceted edges catch
the light just so.The cap is ever so slightly domed, and there is something extremely pleasing in the
way the edges meet at the top. And, that cute spinning ball at the end of the clip adds an element of
playfulness and gadget-appeal.

Perfect Balance and Feel: This pen balances so well in the hand, that it feels weightless.
The writing experience is effortless; the hand does not grow tired even after hours of use. I prefer
the Milord model to the larger size Paragon, because the Milord has a resin section. I imagine that the
metal section on the larger model may diminish that experience.

Smoothest Piston Filler Ever: This is the smoothest piston filler I own. Smoother than my
Montblancs and Pelikans. Just perfect; a pleasure to use.

Flawless Nib Performance: The nib glides and waltzes along the page and has a light, effortless
feel to it. On a wetness scale of 0-10, it is about a 6.5. And the .6mm cursive italic nib by John
Mottishaw just takes the writing experience over the top.

What more can you ask for in a pen?

Of course to each their own, and not everyone will find this pen as attractive and comfortable as its
fans claim. Some might consider this pen to be too plain and boring; some may dislike the faceted
design; some may think the pen is not heavy enough; and some may even find that the nib is too
smooth, wet and light for their tastes.

But those looking for a subdued, refined, eternally classic pen with the features described here, should
give it a try. For me, the Omas Paragon Milord is a perfect fit. See here for images of it nestled in with
other flat-tops:
http://www.fountainp...showtopic=77477
and here for its frolics with other gray pens:
http://www.fountainp...showtopic=77945

Hope this review was useful,
QM2

Edited by QM2, 03 October 2008 - 04:09.

Sponsored Content

#2 Gojira

Gojira

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2008 - 05:11

Nice review...the Omas Milord is a pen I hope to be able to afford one day, if I can still find any around. Of course, I'd prefer one in plain old black or a nice dark green...

#3 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• 4,875 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 13:04

QUOTE (Gojira @ Oct 3 2008, 05:11 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice review...the Omas Milord is a pen I hope to be able to afford one day, if I can still find any around. Of course, I'd prefer one in plain old black or a nice dark green...

The Bromfield Pen Shop in Boston still has 2 black ones for sale. Also, a dark red one, I think.

#4 Celticshaman

Celticshaman

Photographer and lover of all things Celtic!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,161 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2008 - 13:49

Great review QM2!! I adore those older Omas Milords. I own three including that dark red/burgundy mentioned above.It too is an italic.
The Grey model you review has always been on my wish list but with so many pens now,i really classify it as a want and not a need tongue.gif

In my opinion,the older pre-2005 Omas pens are the best in classic form.

Jim

#5 n4souls

n4souls

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 14:07

Just when I decide to hold at the pens that I have...great review...now I want one even more.
Norman Heath

#6 Rufus

Rufus

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,664 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 October 2008 - 14:08

QM2 I agree with every word you have written. The old-style Milord truly is a wonderful pen.
Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

#7 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• 4,875 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 21:19

QUOTE (handlebar @ Oct 3 2008, 01:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In my opinion,the older pre-2005 Omas pens are the best in classic form.

I tried to like the new style, but something just seems off. Maybe it's the thicker clip that bothers me, or the different trim. Interestingly, there are mixed reviews about which performs better: Some say that the new Paragons have problems with leaking and other QC issues; others say that they are an improvement over the old style.

#8 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 03 October 2008 - 22:44

Good photo skills of a particularly good looking 2004 annual edition. I've yet to ink the F I acquired some years ago and nearly forgot about it until I saw your post. Like many paragons from the early/mid 2000s, this kind of pen represents the last of the breed. Too bad because in many ways it and pens like the MB 146 are successful designs that represent a kind of antithesis to what the pen marketeers are trying to do. Namely, promote the new and improved for the sake of extra attention and hopefully increasesd sales.

This pen also represents the old school in that its light weight is principled on the idea that the lighter the pen, the lower the effort and attention one has on the pen thereby helping with the act of writing, not with the act of trying to actively control the mass and weight of the writing instrument. Sort of zen-like.

#9 fuchsiaprincess

fuchsiaprincess

Museum Piece

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,194 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 12:38

Great review, QM2! Thank you! Makes me want to buy one right now. BTW, is gray your favorite color?

Posted Image Posted Image

#10 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2008 - 13:19

Its not a secret my Omas Paragon is my favorite writer.
I agree with almost everything you wrote about the Milord except one thing,the old style Paragon's section is made of resin and not metal.It basicly is a slightly bigger version of your pen with a bigger nib.But it's all resin and the only metal parts on the pen is the clip and nib.

This pen is the BEST writer ever !!!
Respect to all

#11 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• 4,875 posts

Posted 05 October 2008 - 13:26

QUOTE (goodguy @ Oct 5 2008, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Its not a secret my Omas Paragon is my favorite writer.
I agree with almost everything you wrote about the Milord except one thing,the old style Paragon's section is made of resin and not metal.It basicly is a slightly bigger version of your pen with a bigger nib.But it's all resin and the only metal parts on the pen is the clip and nib.

This pen is the BEST writer ever !!!

Sorry abut that -- I saw one of the wooden special edition versions and they have metal sections, so I assumed all of them did.

Now what are the chances of me finding another old-style gray in the larger version?..

Edited by QM2, 05 October 2008 - 13:27.

#12 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 October 2008 - 13:40

QUOTE (QM2 @ Oct 5 2008, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Now what are the chances of me finding another old-style gray in the larger version?..

Dont really know,my Paragon is the black model with HT trim.I always found black pens to be my preferable colour when it comes to writers.
I dont value my Paragon as a collection piece but as a pure performance (everyday use) and that it does it perfectly.
Glad you found the magic in the Omas world.
Enjoy
Respect to all

#13 PenFisher

PenFisher

Antique

• Member - Gold

• 1,664 posts

Posted 03 February 2009 - 04:05

Thanks for the review and insights ... I was inspired by your review and was lucky enough to find an old style Milford that I hope to have shortly. Thanks ... Bravo!

#14 fjf

fjf

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 943 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 February 2009 - 12:40

I have one of those...Great pen. I agree with you. The only thing missing in this pen is an ink window.

#15 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• 4,875 posts

Posted 27 February 2009 - 23:00

Just wanted to add that 5 months after the review, this pen still has not left my daily rotation. The nib is one of my 3 best writers (and I have over 70 modern pens at this point).

#16 Juan in Andalucia

Juan in Andalucia

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 953 posts

Posted 28 February 2009 - 21:56

No surprise; old style milords are great pens. I own 3 (a 80s, early 90s, and a 75th anniversary edition) and i can't decide on which is my favorite.

I have that slate grey and the brown colonial milords reserved for me in a local shop.

Juan

http://colectivoimpr...a.blogspot.com/

Sponsored Content

|