Review: Omas Paragon Milord

QM2

http://queenmargot.com/omas_paragon1.jpg

Omas Paragon Milord, Old Style

Slate Gray; with .6mm cursive italic nib by John Mottishaw

The old-style Paragon Milord is a remarkable pen. It is a good thing I did not buy it in the early days

of my fountain pen use when I was looking for just one impeccably-styled great writer, because

honestly that may have been the end of it. This is the kind of pen that could serve as your one and

only daily writer and you would not look back.

Sadly, the old style Paragons have been replaced by what I consider to be less appealing models. So

if you are thinking of buying one, act soon: only a few retails still have them on offer.

http://queenmargot.com/omas_paragon2.jpg

Others have written pretty good reviews of this pen's charms already, so I will try to add something

new. Here are just some of the features that make it special:

Impeccable Styling: This pen radiates subdued beauty and good taste. You could say that it is

the "anti-bling" pen. The wow-factor of the Milord's looks is in the details. The faceted edges catch

the light just so.The cap is ever so slightly domed, and there is something extremely pleasing in the

way the edges meet at the top. And, that cute spinning ball at the end of the clip adds an element of

playfulness and gadget-appeal.

Perfect Balance and Feel: This pen balances so well in the hand, that it feels weightless.

The writing experience is effortless; the hand does not grow tired even after hours of use. I prefer

the Milord model to the larger size Paragon, because the Milord has a resin section. I imagine that the

metal section on the larger model may diminish that experience.

Smoothest Piston Filler Ever: This is the smoothest piston filler I own. Smoother than my

Montblancs and Pelikans. Just perfect; a pleasure to use.

Flawless Nib Performance: The nib glides and waltzes along the page and has a light, effortless

feel to it. On a wetness scale of 0-10, it is about a 6.5. And the .6mm cursive italic nib by John

Mottishaw just takes the writing experience over the top.

What more can you ask for in a pen?

http://queenmargot.com/omas_paragon3.jpg

Of course to each their own, and not everyone will find this pen as attractive and comfortable as its

fans claim. Some might consider this pen to be too plain and boring; some may dislike the faceted

design; some may think the pen is not heavy enough; and some may even find that the nib is too

smooth, wet and light for their tastes.

But those looking for a subdued, refined, eternally classic pen with the features described here, should

give it a try. For me, the Omas Paragon Milord is a perfect fit. See here for images of it nestled in with

other flat-tops:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=77477

and here for its frolics with other gray pens:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=77945

http://queenmargot.com/gray_pyramid.jpg

Hope this review was useful,

QM2

Edited by QM2

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• QM2

• goodguy

• handlebar

• Gojira

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice review...the Omas Milord is a pen I hope to be able to afford one day, if I can still find any around. Of course, I'd prefer one in plain old black or a nice dark green...

Nice review...the Omas Milord is a pen I hope to be able to afford one day, if I can still find any around. Of course, I'd prefer one in plain old black or a nice dark green...

The Bromfield Pen Shop in Boston still has 2 black ones for sale. Also, a dark red one, I think.

Great review QM2!! I adore those older Omas Milords. I own three including that dark red/burgundy mentioned above.It too is an italic.

The Grey model you review has always been on my wish list but with so many pens now,i really classify it as a want and not a need :P

In my opinion,the older pre-2005 Omas pens are the best in classic form.

Jim

QM2 I agree with every word you have written. The old-style Milord truly is a wonderful pen.

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

In my opinion,the older pre-2005 Omas pens are the best in classic form.

I tried to like the new style, but something just seems off. Maybe it's the thicker clip that bothers me, or the different trim. Interestingly, there are mixed reviews about which performs better: Some say that the new Paragons have problems with leaking and other QC issues; others say that they are an improvement over the old style.

Good photo skills of a particularly good looking 2004 annual edition. I've yet to ink the F I acquired some years ago and nearly forgot about it until I saw your post. Like many paragons from the early/mid 2000s, this kind of pen represents the last of the breed. Too bad because in many ways it and pens like the MB 146 are successful designs that represent a kind of antithesis to what the pen marketeers are trying to do. Namely, promote the new and improved for the sake of extra attention and hopefully increasesd sales.

This pen also represents the old school in that its light weight is principled on the idea that the lighter the pen, the lower the effort and attention one has on the pen thereby helping with the act of writing, not with the act of trying to actively control the mass and weight of the writing instrument. Sort of zen-like.

Great review, QM2! Thank you! Makes me want to buy one right now. BTW, is gray your favorite color?

http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y331/fuchsiaprincess/Fuchsiaprincess_0001.jpg http://fc02.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2010/036/2/2/Narnia_Flag_by_Narnia14.gif

Its not a secret my Omas Paragon is my favorite writer.

I agree with almost everything you wrote about the Milord except one thing,the old style Paragon's section is made of resin and not metal.It basicly is a slightly bigger version of your pen with a bigger nib.But it's all resin and the only metal parts on the pen is the clip and nib.

This pen is the BEST writer ever !!!

Respect to all

Its not a secret my Omas Paragon is my favorite writer.

I agree with almost everything you wrote about the Milord except one thing,the old style Paragon's section is made of resin and not metal.It basicly is a slightly bigger version of your pen with a bigger nib.But it's all resin and the only metal parts on the pen is the clip and nib.

This pen is the BEST writer ever !!!

Sorry abut that -- I saw one of the wooden special edition versions and they have metal sections, so I assumed all of them did.

Now what are the chances of me finding another old-style gray in the larger version?..

Edited by QM2

Now what are the chances of me finding another old-style gray in the larger version?..

Dont really know,my Paragon is the black model with HT trim.I always found black pens to be my preferable colour when it comes to writers.

I dont value my Paragon as a collection piece but as a pure performance (everyday use) and that it does it perfectly.

Glad you found the magic in the Omas world.

Enjoy

Respect to all

• 3 months later...

Thanks for the review and insights ... I was inspired by your review and was lucky enough to find an old style Milford that I hope to have shortly. Thanks ... Bravo!

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to add that 5 months after the review, this pen still has not left my daily rotation. The nib is one of my 3 best writers (and I have over 70 modern pens at this point).