Super sale on ebay+MSN 30% off, get your pens now

scoob

As of 3:05pm (GMT -8; PST) my cashback issue SEEMS to have been solved. The error message disappeared, I paid for the item, and in a few minutes eBay sent out an email to say I have earned cashback. Live.com is not yet showing the cashback for this item. Hopefully in a few days.

m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jmkeuning

• thibaulthalpern

• Univer

• Siv

Thanks for the update. It may be - if my experience is an indication - that you would have received that eBay message even if you had paid in the first instance; I did. But I fully understand and endorse your decision to hold off on payment until the problematic message disappeared.

So far, there seems to be a (roughly) one-day delay, following the eBay cashback message, before the transaction shows up in my cashback account. Fingers crossed!

Cheers,

Jon

PS While I will certainly be happy to receive my rebates (assuming all goes according to plan), these Microsoft issues have done little to encourage me to question my Mac affinity.

Anyone had luck searching Pelikan m800? I got the live.com cashback thing to appear when I searched "pc speakers" - when I tried saerching Pelikan m800 from there, it just stared at me... It's been so easy for almost everyone else - I know I'm missing something really obvious, but I think I'm too tired to catch my mistake right now :headsmack: If anyone has has any luck, I'd appreciate the guidance.

Cheers,

Mike

EDIT: Hmm... wonder if it's the cosmos telling me I don't need yet another pen...

Edited by ProfMike

Flow good, ooze bad!

Mike

Anyone had luck searching Pelikan m800? I got the live.com cashback thing to appear when I searched "pc speakers" - when I tried saerching Pelikan m800 from there, it just stared at me... It's been so easy for almost everyone else - I know I'm missing something really obvious, but I think I'm too tired to catch my mistake right now :headsmack: If anyone has has any luck, I'd appreciate the guidance.

Cheers,

Mike

EDIT: Hmm... wonder if it's the cosmos telling me I don't need yet another pen...

Are you trying to buy from eBay? Well, just do any search where the ebay link comes up with the discount. Searching for "namiki falcon" works. IT doesn't matter even if you don't want a Namiki Falcon. Click on the link with the discount and it will take you to eBay. From eBay, search for your Pelikan. You can only use "Buy Now" items and I believe you have to purchase within 60 minutes.

I'm beginning to think this sale is smarter than me. :glare: I can get live.com to show the cashback banner with eBay on the search page, but as soon as I go into eBay, I can no longer see the banner on the eBay website. Am I supposed to see it there to or is it automatically "there" in the system. From what I understood - perhaps incorrectly - from earlier posts is that I should see the banner everywhere I navigate if I have done things properly.

If I'm wrong, please let me know before I surrender and return to kindergarten :blush:

Thanks everyone,

Mike

Flow good, ooze bad!

Mike

I received a reply from Live.com about my previous situation and they say eBay and PayPal are working to fix it. I too have been trying to see if I could get the cashback live logo on eBay and it's not longer working. Perhaps while they're fixing the issue the cashback logo won't show up?

The logo must appear on eBay's website (usually on the top of the page) if you are to purchase with the cashback promotion.

Edited by thibaulthalpern

I received a reply from Live.com about my previous situation and they say eBay and PayPal are working to fix it. I too have been trying to see if I could get the cashback live logo on eBay and it's not longer working. Perhaps while they're fixing the issue the cashback logo won't show up?

The logo must appear on eBay's website (usually on the top of the page) if you are to purchase with the cashback promotion.

Thanks, thibaulthalpern, that's what I thought was supposed to happen. I wish you the best and will return later to see if everything is resolved and I can get my lovely discount. :puddle: I've been waiting for that m800 for ages, but haven't decided to make the plunge until there was such an awesome discount.

Cheers,

Mike

Flow good, ooze bad!

Mike

Searching for "cheap wii" on live.com now gives you the cashback logo on eBay you're looking for.

Last night I could not pinpoint a search that got me more than 4%.

I'll try cheap wii!

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Hi All,

A couple of updates:

With respect to the item for which I paid, notwithstanding the presence of the disturbing "ineligibility" message: I have now received the usual email from Microsoft confirming the rebate, and the pending rebate now appears in my cashback account. There was the customary one-day delay before the email arrived. (The eBay message confirming the rebate showed up almost immediately; that's also consistent with past experience.)

I guess I now believe that the ineligibility message was nothing more than a distraction; the transaction itself seems to have gone without a hitch. (I say "seems" only because I will be fully convinced only when the funds are in my PayPal account.)

ProfMike, I tried a search this morning, and everything seemed to be working. The key thing seems to be to formulate a live.com search request that will kick up a sponsored eBay link displaying the cashback banner. That is to say, the cashback logo must appear next to the search hit; if it does, then clicking on that link will give you an hour in which to hunt through eBay for the item you actually want. (And yes, the logo needs to appear on each eBay page; if it doesn't, then something's not right.)

It's possible to use a search term that will yield a sponsored eBay link...but not the cashback banner. For example, I tried "laptop" this morning, and I got an eBay link without the banner. I then tried "Sony laptop," and I got a link with the banner. So there's trial and error (and, apparently, a certain element of randomness) involved. But once you're "in," everything should go smoothly.

I hope there's some useful information buried in all of that!

Cheers,

Jon

The other thing to be aware of is that different searches will yield different percentage cash back. I see really low percentages for Canon and Epson (5%), but the "cheap wii" got me 25%.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

The other thing to be aware of is that different searches will yield different percentage cash back. I see really low percentages for Canon and Epson (5%), but the "cheap wii" got me 25%.

Very interesting - thanks! ("Sony laptop" was another 25-percenter, at least earlier this morning).

Bear in mind also that the promotion does not include transactions that use a third-party checkout system (like Auctiva, I assume). The eBay representative advised me that such transactions were typically excluded from all eBay promotions (coupons, etc.). And this specific exception is written into the rules.

The good news is that if your intended purchase falls into that category, you will get a message telling you that the transaction is ineligible for the cashback program - before you commit to make the purchase.

Cheers,

Jon

The good news is that if your intended purchase falls into that category, you will get a message telling you that the transaction is ineligible for the cashback program - before you commit to make the purchase.

Cheers,

Jon

But don't always trust that error message. I got that error message when I KNEW that the item I was purchasing was eligible. It was a Custom 823 pen (not real estate, not automobile, which are all excluded), and using my PayPal account to Pay, and the seller was NOT using a 3rd party system but rather was using PayPal to receive money.

So, I battled it out with eBay, PayPal and live.com for about 48 hours (meaning I did live chat and talked on the phone with them) and finally the issue was solved. There was a software error on one of those company's machines that erroneously marked my transaction as ineligible. As juicy as rebates/cashback sound, they are often fraught with issues.

Now, the cashback amount is in my live.com pending deposit.

So, my advice is: if you do get that error message that your item is not eligible, look through the agreement terms for Microsoft cashback and see if you're eligible. If you are, well...talk to eBay.

Good advice not to trust every error message (I tend to assume that Windows users are rather jaded about error messages, anyway - they seem to see so many of 'em). In the specific case I encountered, the seller did in fact use a third-party checkout system, so the exclusion was legit.

In other news: the cashback system seems to be back up and running just fine - no unexpected ineligibility messages during a checkout today. On the other hand, the system stubbornly refused to accept a valid coupon code...although the nice person at PayPal assured me that the coupon amount will eventually be credited to my account.

That's two calls to eBay/PayPal in two days. I really hope I don't need to talk to those folks for a while!

Cheers,

Jon

Well I hope it all works out. I bought a lot of pens and have about $1000 in cashback due (first lot in 30 more days). I would never have bought so many if not for the deal...

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2752/4371168844_35ba5fb338.jpg

Danitrio Fellow, Nakaya Nutter, Sailor Sailor (ret), Visconti Venerator, Montegrappa Molester (in training), ConwayStewart Champion & Diplomat #77

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Sorry to resuscitate an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone else had had any luck with a live.com search today. My searches - I've tried a few - have kicked up eBay links, but without the cashback banner. The program was still working as of last night; I wonder if it has been quietly dropped. (That would seem odd, given the fact the prime holiday shopping season is just beginning.)

Cheers,

Jon

Hi All,

Sorry to resuscitate an old thread, but I was wondering if anyone else had had any luck with a live.com search today. My searches - I've tried a few - have kicked up eBay links, but without the cashback banner. The program was still working as of last night; I wonder if it has been quietly dropped. (That would seem odd, given the fact the prime holiday shopping season is just beginning.)

Cheers,

Jon

I had the same experience today, I'm wondering if the eBay cashback program has ended? :huh:

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." ~ Ben Williams

My social media sites Via Gravatar

Join Pen Collectors of America

Hi,

I suspect that the program is in fact over; other cashback links are still working, but these are the links to online retailers (offering significantly lower rebate percentages). I've sent an inquiry to live.com support; the always-cheery automated email response promises a reply in 3-5 business days. If a relevant response is forthcoming, I'll gladly share it here.

All good things must come to an end, of course, and I don't have a complaint coming; I've done very well with this program. It's slightly vexing, though, that I had my eye on one last eBay cashback purchase, and that I decided, for no good reason, to put it off until this morning. Oh well, c'est la guerre.

(And the optimist in me whispers that it's unwise, when Microsoft is involved, to discount the possibility of a temporary glitch....)

Edit to say that the optimist was, seemingly, right this time. I just gave this another try; it took a while to formulate a search that kicked up an eBay link, and most of my old standbys didn't work ("pc speakers" finally did the trick). But the cashback banner was back, and I was able to grab that last item. My recommendation: if there's an item you've been thinking about, act quickly!

Cheers,

Jon

Edited by Univer

cheap wii

Working right NOW!