• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• fatehbajwa

• QM2

• hari317

• Moravia

Nice Pics Fateh, Is this pen a Ecridor? Curious about the nib though, does the Sterling Silver pen come with a SS nib?

Warm regards,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Is this pen a Ecridor? Curious about the nib though, does the Sterling Silver pen come with a SS nib?

Nice closeups!

Hari -- This is an Ecridor Retro, rhodium plated silver, with one of the most exquisite steel nibs ever made. I am guessing the reason for making it steel and not gold, is to marker this as a durable user pen. I use mine for design and precision drawings.

Fateh -- If you definitely know that you are keeping this pen and are not afraid to personalise it, I recommend having your initials engraved on the personalisation plate. The engraving takes away the top layer of rhodium and exposes the silver, forming a patina over time. Mine looks beautiful now with the patina initials.

Congratulations on this pen!

Hari -- This is an Ecridor Retro, rhodium plated silver, with one of the most exquisite steel nibs ever made. I am guessing the reason for making it steel and not gold, is to marker this as a durable user pen. I use mine for design and precision drawings.

Hi QM2, The Ecridor Retro was one of the first fine pens I bought and I still have and cherish it. However my pen has CDA engraved in red at the top of the cap and the cap has no step like in Fateh's pen. My pen also has the steel nib in M point. However AFAIK, the Ecridor Retros are Brass pens with a Silver plating, over which Rhodium is coated, hence my question.

Anyway It is a common opinion that Gold nibs are longer lasting than their steel counterparts under the same conditions.

Best,

Hari

In case you wish to write to me, pls use ONLY email by clicking here. I do not check PMs. Thank you.

Well...............this one is Sterling Silver.............as regards the nib............I doubt I am going to last longer than the nibs on any of my pens.........so no worries. :)

Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom - George S Patton

Follow me on Twitter

Hi everyone,

I have lately become interested in buying this particular fountain pen but I am confused by the above posts.

fatehbajwa, your fountain pen is made of sterling silver? I was unaware that this fountain pen is also available in sterling silver. My impression was that this fountain pen was as QM2 explained in her post, made of rhodium plated silver.

Can anyone provide some clarification on this? If this pen is available in sterling silver that would definitely influence my decision to buy it.

I appreciate any further information that anyone can provide on this.

Moravia

Want to Buy:

Vintage filigree overlay FPs

I have never heard of a solid sterling silver version of these pens and was told that all of them are, as Hari said, brass, plated with silver, plated with rhodium. So if a solid sterling one exists I am very curious. Fateh, what makes you say that your pen is sterling? Is there a 925/ Ag hallmark?

Under the clip, there's written "METAL". CdA often hides information under the clips.

The predecessor of this current "Ecridor" series was available in Sterling Silver. My Father had a Sterling Ecridor BP in the '80s.

Fantastic pictures, I wish I could do so well. Congratulations.

I had an Escridor with an EF stainless steel nib. It was a superb writer. Only problem was, when the converter was freshly filled, regardless of ink or how many times I wiped down the point, it would drop, without warning, a blob of ink on my documents. I think the converter was defective, because it always filled with bubbles as well.

My pen had a red enameled jewel on the cap - probably an older model.

Bob

Pelikan 100; Parker Duofold; Sheaffer Balance; Eversharp Skyline; Aurora 88 Piston; Aurora 88 hooded; Kaweco Sport; Sailor Pro Gear

Eca de Queroiz: "Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently, and for the same reason."

Under the clip, there's written "METAL". CdA often hides information under the clips.

The predecessor of this current "Ecridor" series was available in Sterling Silver. My Father had a Sterling Ecridor BP in the '80s.

saintsimon,

Do you know if the older "Ecridor" fountain pen models were also available in sterling silver or only the ballpoints?

Want to Buy:

Vintage filigree overlay FPs

saintsimon,

Do you know if the older "Ecridor" fountain pen models were also available in sterling silver or only the ballpoints?

No idea, as I don't seem to have older CdA catalogs any more. But there were definitely Sterling FPs (with black plastic sections) from the top "Hexagonal" line, which have the same body shape as the old "Ecridors", but have rectangular clips and better gold platings for golden models. The current, rather small selection of Hexagonals doesn't offer Sterling Silver any more.

I have several gold plated Hexagonals, but only one FP among them, with my favourite and rare "Fleur de Lys" decoration. For me the sections are simply too slender for a FP.

Edited by saintsimon

• 11 years later...

Adding to the Ecridor question, I have a 50th anniversary Ecridor ball point. As suggested there are letters under the clip. I believe that it is "CLIP METAL". Bought in the nineties, is this a sterling Silver or silver plated ball point? There is no "925" that I can find.

Thanks