New M800 questions

morten

Well, after collecting quite a few pens ranging from cheapo to somewhat

better and a few antiques, I finally broke down and got the M800 - the

"ULTIMATE" pen. Here are my thoughts, would love feedback from more

experienced writers.

LOOK - Great. Classy, large but not ridiculous, beautiful nib. Will

get attention without being "pimped out".

REFILLING: Interesting. Easy to use. But ink capacity will be a

test.

HANDFIT: Perfect for me.

WRITING: Well, that's where I'm not sure. Nice wet line for a fine.

Good flex. Good start with no skips even new. But... it's scratchy.

If I lift pressure enough to reduce scratch, it stops ink flow. With

enough pressure (light) it has a bite I would describe as resulting in an audible hiss and I can definately feel metal on paper. Doesn't feel like

skating the way some of my Sheaffer's do with similar ink flow.

Thoughts? Do I have nib that needs adjustment? Is it the fact I asked for a fine nib as opposed to medium? A little breaking in (a myth in my experience)? Or is that the M800?

Caveat - I'm a gimpy lefty - so finding the right nib is never easy.

BTW - posted this already on the google forum. Wanted another opinion. thank you!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• chris burton

• morten

• Larry T

• Bill Smith

Top Posters In This Topic

[snip]... it's scratchy.

If I lift pressure enough to reduce scratch, it stops ink flow. With

enough pressure (light) it has a bite I would describe as resulting in an audible hiss and I can definately feel metal on paper.

Thoughts? Do I have nib that needs adjustment? Is it the fact I asked for a fine nib as opposed to medium? A little breaking in (a myth in my experience)? Or is that the M800?

Caveat - I'm a gimpy lefty - so finding the right nib is never easy.

It sounds as if the tines are out of adjustment. If it's a new pen I would probably send it to Chartpak with a little note that explains the problem.

Chartpak: Pelikan repair

Or you could always send it to one of the nibmeisters. Richard Binder is always the first one that comes to mind, but there are also other good ones.

Richard Binder

If you have a 10x loupe, you could take a look at the tip of the nib to see if the tines are out of adjustment. Some light pressure with a fingernail can often cure minor scritch-scratch issues and you will not have to send it anywhere.

I'm also a lefty and can tell you that should have nothing to do with your problem. ;)

Chris

Custom Bindes

Hi Morton.

I bought a M800 green stripe with fine nib from Pam Braun yesterday. I haven't used it a lot, but so far the one I have is butter smooth- one of the best fine nibs that I own. Lays down a nice wet line too. I have three M200's and an M215, but I really like the size on the M800 better.

Larry

I am another lefty and I recently picked up a Black M800 from Regina Martini with a medium nib, no problems with mine. I would have a closer look with a loupe.

Bill

"Life moves pretty fast, if you do not stop and look around once and a while you might just miss it."

Ferris Bueller

Bill Smith's Photography

I agree get it checked out or send it in to ChartPak, they are the nicest of people when it comes to replacement and service for NO CHARGE! So that is my advice.

Music Pen Guy: Tim

Tim: The Music Pen Guy

http://www.fountainpenhospital.com/images/pelikan_images/concerto.jpg

http://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog4.jpghttp://www.penmuseum.co.uk/images/pelog1.jpg

Pelikan Nest