Antique Pencil . . .

Judybug

I just recently purchased a vintage mechanical pencil from E-Bay. It really is a pretty little thing and in good condition - no dings or dents. The trouble is I can't get lead to stay in it. I think it's because the lead I have is too small - it's .7. The opening in the pencil is a bit larger. I guess I'll try some .9 lead. If I twist the top of this pen to the right the metal shaft thingy comes out, and when I twist the top to the left the shaft goes back in so I guess it's working correctly.

Do any of you FPNers have experience with antique mechanical pencils? Is there anything I should know about the lead these pencils use and how to load it?

You can take a look at the pen here ---

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=290261299142

Scroll down - there's a good enlarged picture.

Judybug

So many pens, so little time!

http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

My Blog: Bywater Wisdom

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Judybug

• FrankB

• QM2

• Okami

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Judybug,

What you have is a Pal ringtop pencil from (I think) the early 1920's. I have the same pencil, but mine is sterling silver whereas yours looks goldplated (unless it is the light). I use Yard-o-Led leds in mine, which I think are 1.1mm. But .9mm might also work -- give it a try!

QM2

Edited by QM2

Hi Judybug,

What you have is a Pal ringtop pencil from (I think) the early 1920's. I have the same pencil, but mine is sterling silver whereas yours looks goldplated (unless it is the light). I use Yard-o-Led leds in mine, which I think are 1.1mm. But .9mm might also work -- give it a try!

QM2

Thanks, QM2. I googled Yard-o-Led pencil lead and I see that they have the 1.1mm at Joon. If I can't find it locally I'll order some. My little pencil rattles when I shake it as if it might have some lead stored in there. Does the top on yours come off to reveal a storage compartment? Mine twists back and forth, but it doesn't appear to come off. I don't want to do too much fiddling with it and risk breaking it.

No, mine is not silver. It may be a gold finish or brass, maybe?

Judy

Judy,

Swisher also carries the Yard-o-Led 1.1 mm refills. I use this in my Conway Stewart pencil.

Julie

Hi Judybug,

QM2

Thanks, QM2. I googled Yard-o-Led pencil lead and I see that they have the 1.1mm at Joon. If I can't find it locally I'll order some. My little pencil rattles when I shake it as if it might have some lead stored in there. Does the top on yours come off to reveal a storage compartment? Mine twists back and forth, but it doesn't appear to come off. I don't want to do too much fiddling with it and risk breaking it.

No, mine is not silver. It may be a gold finish or brass, maybe?

Judy

"There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face." ~ Ben Williams

My social media sites Via Gravatar

Join Pen Collectors of America

I just discovered that Pendemonium has several different brands of 1.1mm lead. One of the brands - Autopoint - is said to fit many old pencils. There's quite a difference in price between Yard-o-Led (tube of 12 for $6) and Autopoint (tube of 12 for $1.25). I don't know what that difference in price may indicate about quality.

Judybug

The pencil looks really nice. I case you need to get some expert info on a pencil, may I suggest Fred Krinke at The Fountain Pen Shop? I have sent several pencils to him for repair and he did an excellent job.

The pencil looks really nice. I case you need to get some expert info on a pencil, may I suggest Fred Krinke at The Fountain Pen Shop? I have sent several pencils to him for repair and he did an excellent job.

Thanks, FrankB. I'll make a note of this. If I can't get my little pencil to work after I get the correct size lead, I'll get in touch with Mr. Krinke.

Judybug

• 2 weeks later...
I just discovered that Pendemonium has several different brands of 1.1mm lead. One of the brands - Autopoint - is said to fit many old pencils. There's quite a difference in price between Yard-o-Led (tube of 12 for $6) and Autopoint (tube of 12 for $1.25). I don't know what that difference in price may indicate about quality.

Judybug

I received the 1.1mm Autopoint pencil lead I ordered from Pendemonium. It works perfectly in my little vintage pencil. I ordered a tube of the HB medium hardness and a tube of what is called "Mark Sense." Mark Sense produces a really dark line, but doesn't seem to smear like some soft leads do. Anyway, I'm satisfied with this lead - and the price is great.

No, I'm not affiliated with Pendemonium in any way other than being a satisfied customer.

Judybug

Thank you Judy. I was thinking of trying to find this thread today as I have a couple of pencils that need some work. And what with the Autopoint 1.1 lead working out for you I think it is time for that Pendemonium order..

Philip

www.scriptusinc.com