Hi From Sydney

mmlife

Hi

Although this is not my first post, it is my first post as the new owner of a fountain pen, a Lamy Studio in Matte Black. This is my second FP, my first being a Sheaffer during my school years.

I searched these forums to find the information I needed to make my decision and going into the store it was between the Pelikan Epoch and the Studio. The weight of the Studio and the click as it shut sold me as both pens feelt incredibly smooth.

I'm amazed at how easy it is to let the pen flow across the page but with a little bit more control necessary compared to a rollerball.

Looking forward to purchasing some ink as I am currently using the Lamy cartridges.

This is a great forum and hopefully in the future I will make some worthwhile contributions.

Kind Regards

Michael Lynch

Sydney Australia

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mmlife

• Blorgy

• Bill

• playpen

Hello and welcome!

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

I liked the boat trips on Sydney Harbour, which left from Circular Quay. My favourite trips were either to Manly or to Middle Harbour. When I play with Microsoft Flight Simulator, I fly around Sydney Harbour sometimes.

Edited by Blorgy

Thanks Everyone

I thought I wasn't wanted :(

Sydney is GREAT. I live in Mosman and work at Balmoral Beach which is on Sydney Harbour. I can see Manly from my window. I travel quite a bit in SE Asia and as much as I love the different cultures and experiences it offers, nothing beats a winter sunrise at Balmoral.

I'm loving using my Lamy, have tried a couple of differnet inks namely Pelikan Royal Blue and Elysee Royal Blue and just noticed today that perhaps the nib can screw off so I could purchase different nibs to experiment with. My partner has beautiful handwriting as she did Art and Design at school and has given me a few drills to work on.

Anyway I'll see some or all of you in the various forums, thanks.

Regards

Michael

I thought I wasn't wanted :(

It's possible that we were just waiting for some Australians to reply first.

I know I was. I wouldn't worry about the delay in replying to your first message.

Great pen! If you haven't much experience with fountain pens since your school days you will be suprised at the difference that different inks can make. Welcome aboard. By the way - what compelled you to purchase the new pen?

Welcome aboard. By the way - what compelled you to purchase the new pen?

Thanks again for the welcome

I think two factors motivated me to buy a FP. First of all at Christmas I was dissapointed that I had to ask Tani, my partner, to write all the cards as I have terrible handwriting and secondly, my father had a great silver Sheaffer FP I always admired when I was young. So it wasn't hard to make the connection.

I chose the steel nib because here in Sydney the gold nib version was very close to twice the price and couldn't justify it at this stage. Of course now I find I can justify the new inks, leather pen holder, second FP etc etc.

See you soon in the forums. Thanks.

Michael

• 3 months later...

Hi,

Welcome!!

Dillon

Stolen: Aurora Optima Demonstrator Red ends Medium nib. Serial number 1216 and Aurora 98 Cartridge/Converter Black bark finish (Archivi Storici) with gold cap. Reward if found. Please contact me if you have seen these pens.

Please send vial orders and other messages to fpninkvials funny-round-mark-thing gmail strange-mark-thing com. My shop is open once again if you need help with your pen.

Will someone with the name of "Jay" who emailed me through the email system provide me an email address? There was no email address provided, so I can't write back.

Dillon

...I live in Mosman and work at Balmoral Beach which is on Sydney Harbour...nothing beats a winter sunrise at Balmoral.

Michael,

I love your neighborhood! My wife's sister now lives in Neutral Bay (about three blocks from a small ferry stop) and when we visit we seem to be Mosman daily. She used to live in a beautiful place built into the hillside in Clontarf. The bedrooms (all glass and decks on the water side) overlooked the harbor. It was only a short walk down to the beach on the point across from Balmoral. I hated to leave.

Last year we had a picnic at Balmoral and resupplied with fish and chips at a carry-out shop across the street. Very pleasant and relaxed place.

An anecdote you might appreciate: On my first visit to Australia in 1988, I got into a taxi at the Manly ferry station and the driver got very upset at me, apparently over my shirt. I was wearing a rugby style shirt, aka "jumper", that I innocently brought from the U.S. Unfortunately, it was blue and gold, the colors of hated Rugby League rival Paramatta Eels! Once he realized it was a coincidence, he settled a bit but his parting shot was, "Just don't be wearing that shirt around here, mate!" And I didn't.

Bill

Only been "down under"once and that was in 1968. Great country with good folks. Like to make it back there again some day. Welcome.

"Work like you don't need the money. Love like you've never been hurt. Dance like nobody's watching." Satchel Paige, Baseball Hall of Fame Pitcher

Hi Michael and welcome aboard the FPN Choo Choo! :D

Sincerely yours,

Ronnie Banks

"Like a prized watch, a good fountain pen is a trusted companion for life."