Kaweco Sport Classic

stevo

Hy guys.I'm kind of a newcomer here(and in this whole fountain pen world) and i have a question:should i buy a kaweco classic sport(in blue i think)or a pilot metropolitan(in black).I own a Parker Vector SS but i think i need one more entry-level pen before i start spending lots of money in the penshop.I need a pen for every day use.i'm a student

Edited by fne666

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• edbollix

• RevAaron

• stevo

• sharpclaw

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

First, welcome to FPN. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Next, try the Kaweco. It is compact (good for trouser pockets), reliable (very simple), lightweight, will work without posting for short notes, posts securely, decent nibs, easy to swap nibs, and fairly inexpensive.

The Kaweco can be used as an eyedropper and you might want to try that at some point because of the ink capacity of the small international cartridges(not much) and there is not 'standard' converter as far as I know that will fit the Kaweco.

I am a Pilot fan and have several of their pens that are known as 'pocket' pens. None are as short as the Kaweco when capped and are from a little to a lot more pricey. The Metro is a good pen but the Kaweco is, IHO, a more versatile instrument.

Which ever you decide you won't be making a mistake.

Again, Welcome aboard.

First, welcome to FPN. I hope you enjoy your stay.

Next, try the Kaweco. It is compact (good for trouser pockets), reliable (very simple), lightweight, will work without posting for short notes, posts securely, decent nibs, easy to swap nibs, and fairly inexpensive.

The Kaweco can be used as an eyedropper and you might want to try that at some point because of the ink capacity of the small international cartridges(not much) and there is not 'standard' converter as far as I know that will fit the Kaweco.

I am a Pilot fan and have several of their pens that are known as 'pocket' pens. None are as short as the Kaweco when capped and are from a little to a lot more pricey. The Metro is a good pen but the Kaweco is, IHO, a more versatile instrument.

Which ever you decide you won't be making a mistake.

Again, Welcome aboard.

Thanks man.There is so much to learn around here.I love it.I'll let you know what i decide :)

I bought the Kaweco Sport calligraphy set back in December; it came with 4 italic nibs. My first Kaweco. I have a weak spot for italic-nibbed fountain pens. It's a fun set to play with. I havn't even put the other nibs on, but have had the widest nib, about 2.4mm, on it since I got the set. Mine is black. I also got the clip. I really didn't like the bladder converter I paid for and have dumped it. I've been using it as an eyedropper. First I "greased" the threads with a Burt's Bees beeswax lip balm I bought just for this purpose (per the label mostly beeswax plus almond oil and some other ingredients). So far so good. I had it in my shirt pocked at work most of today for the first time and no leak. I really like this pen and will probably get another so I can put another one of the italic nibs on a second pen and have 2 italic-nibbed Kaweco's.

The prizes of life are never to be had without trouble - Horace
Kind words do not cost much, yet they accomplish much - Pascal

You are never too old to set a new goal or dream a new dream - C.S. Lewis

Favorite shop:https://www.fountainpenhospital.com

I rarely do not have at least one Sport inked. Two black, one green, one brown Classic Sport, and two vintage piston-filling Sports. The old ones are wonders, truly built to last: get one if you can.

"I was cut off from the world. There was no one to confuse or torment me, and I was forced to become original." - Franz Joseph Haydn 1732 - 1809

• 1 year later...

I just received my new Kaweco classic sport fountain pen with a Nib B. At first it was writing well (when i put in the ink) and now it is constantly skipping to the point where the ink does not flow anymore :( . Any suggestions how to get the ink flowing?

I just received my new Kaweco classic sport fountain pen with a Nib B. At first it was writing well (when i put in the ink) and now it is constantly skipping to the point where the ink does not flow anymore :( . Any suggestions how to get the ink flowing?

Hi Mafouin, welcom to FPN!

I posted in another thread - same struggles with new Kaweco sport - managed to get my F nib write by a LOT of flushing (before inking), did some writing (Diamine Imperial purple) with a lot of hard starts and skipping, than more flushing and overnight soaking with tiniest touch of detergent, than more flushing. At the end I have put Kaweco Summer purple cartridge. It writes great now. However, it still doesn't start immediately after 12 hours break, I have to hold the tip for 3 secs on a paper to start the first letter. The rest of the day - no issues - if I don't forget to cap it.

Now I will be on the same mission with the B nib, just want to be patient a bit more with that Emerald cart I started, regardless annoying hard starts.... B nib shades great with this ink, would be a shame not to make it work!

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

Now I will be on the same mission with the B nib, just want to be patient a bit more with that Emerald cart I started, regardless annoying hard starts.... B nib shades great with this ink, would be a shame not to make it work!

Waterman cartridges have done wonders for my Kaweco pen.

Waterman doesn't have the most exciting colour palate, but their inks so far (Serenity & Mysterious Blues) have greatly improved the flow of ink to my nib. JetPens (no affiliation) has the Waterman shorts in all the flavours.

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• 2 weeks later...

The performance of my Kaweco Dia2 continues to be better than I had hoped for, considering the months-long problems I was experiencing with ink starvation, using various Pelikan & Kaweco cartridges.

After trying out Waterman's Mysterious Blue & Serenity Blue with much improved ink flow, I'm now testing Harmonious Green in my pen. This Waterman ink also flows beautifully in my cranky Kaweco 060 feed.

If you are experiencing flow problems with your Kaweco Sport, try out the Waterman short carts. The colours may not be the most exciting, but the inks (so far) seem to work well in the modern Kaweco pen.

Mafoun, :W2FPN: . I've had a pen just like yours (same B nib) that would not start or would continually skip. I was so frustrated that I gave that pen away. Try out one of the Waterman international short cartridges in your pen. You may have to do some searching on the net to be able to find a source for the "short" cartridges. Many sellers of Waterman cartridges only carry the long version, which does not fit your Sport.

Edited by tinta

*Sailor 1911S, Black/gold, 14k. 0.8 mm. stub(JM) *1911S blue "Colours", 14k. H-B "M" BLS (PB)

*2 Sailor 1911S Burgundy/gold: 14k. 0.6 mm. "round-nosed" CI (MM) & 14k. 1.1 mm. CI (JM)

*Sailor Pro-Gear Slim Spec. Ed. "Fire",14k. (factory) "H-B"

*Kaweco SPECIAL FP: 14k. "B",-0.6 mm BLS & 14k."M" 0.4 mm. BLS (PB)

*Kaweco Stainless Steel Lilliput, 14k. "M" -0.7 mm.BLS, (PB)

• 3 months later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Especially the day before Halloween. I'm looking for a pen to carry in my pocket in a lot of outdoor situations and some fairly gruelling meetings. Does the plastic kaweco survive in a pocket on a day to day basis?

Plastic of Kaweco is very good, you should be OK from that aspect. The pen might just not enjoy too much outdoor running and shaking if cap not properly screwed. (Jacket pocket, light jog, and a lot of cap cleaning after. Now I am more careful when putting the cap back!)

LETTER EXCHANGE PARTICIPANT

Sorry to resurrect an old thread. Especially the day before Halloween. I'm looking for a pen to carry in my pocket in a lot of outdoor situations and some fairly gruelling meetings. Does the plastic kaweco survive in a pocket on a day to day basis?

I don't know about vintage Sports, but personally I would skip modern plastic sports and go straight to metal Sports or a Supra or possibly Liliputs. Sure, mechanically modern plastic Sports can probably take almost anything I could throw at it, but it just feel so... plastic-y compared to Al-Sport or Supra. (Duh).

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)

I have 2 plastic sports and one AL. All are tough, absolutely reliable pens. The thing to ask is if you like your pens light or a bit more substantial. I have arthritis, and on bad days I find the AL difficult to use since it can be a bit back heavy when posted. The plastic sports are perfectly balanced.

Yet another Sarah.

I have 2 plastic sports and one AL. All are tough, absolutely reliable pens. The thing to ask is if you like your pens light or a bit more substantial. I have arthritis, and on bad days I find the AL difficult to use since it can be a bit back heavy when posted. The plastic sports are perfectly balanced.

I have sometimes used a plastic cap from a rollerball Sport on my FP Al sport. For some reason that combination doesn't have give on the cap like Sport cap on Sport body has.

You do not have a right to post. You do not have a right to a lawyer. Do you understands these rights you do not have?

Kaweco Supra (titanium B), Al-Sport (steel BB).

Parker: Sonnet (dimonite); Frontier GT; 51 (gray); Vacumatic (amber).

Pelikan: m600 (BB); Rotring ArtPen (1,9mm); Rotring Rive; Cult Pens Mini (the original silver version), Waterman Carene (ultramarine F)