The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Waterman Phileas Medium -- 3x5 Review

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 katfisch

katfisch

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 04:48

I've used my blue Waterman Phileas for several months, and really love it's nice wet line, nice smooth nib, and it's lovely styling. If it had a solid gold nib and a big price tag, I'd love it even more rolleyes.gif
WatermanPhileasReview_9_14_08.jpg

Edited by katfisch, 16 September 2008 - 00:03.

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try.
- Mark Twain

Sponsored Content

#2 MrRogers

MrRogers

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 05:56

thanks. good review.

mrr

#3 dhlr14454

dhlr14454

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 15 September 2008 - 23:26

I like these index card reviews: pretty neat. Thanks.

#4 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,634 posts

Posted 16 September 2008 - 07:08

nice review. the phileas was my second FP and still in use. the writing on the 3x5 card came out surprisingly nice!!!

#5 Anne-Sophie

Anne-Sophie

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,136 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 01:36

I was given one and I bought 5 more.

I still have them all, great note taking pens.
Is it fair for an intelligent and family oriented mammal to be separated from his/her family and spend his/her life starved in a concrete jail?

#6 katfisch

katfisch

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:32

Ok... I give... Why did you buy 5 more of the very same pen? Let me guess... You like to fire up different inks simultaneously (red ink = red pen, blue ink = blue pen, etc...??).
None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try.
- Mark Twain

#7 RLTodd

RLTodd

Thor's Legions

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,240 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2008 - 04:41

The review highlights my only objection to the Medium Philius nib, it is too wide. I also get loops filled with ink when I write the normal size I am used to.

YMMV

#8 Usui

Usui

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 17:47

I just got a pen that I would love to do a review on. I think I'm going to borrow from your idea. This is pretty cool.
Luke 13:1-9 saved my life.

#9 wvbeetlebug

wvbeetlebug

GO EERS!!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 September 2008 - 18:16

QUOTE (katfisch @ Sep 17 2008, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ok... I give... Why did you buy 5 more of the very same pen? Let me guess... You like to fire up different inks simultaneously (red ink = red pen, blue ink = blue pen, etc...??).

At least I'm not the only one. Pen and ink must match. It just must. Great review!
thumbup.gif

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

#10 katfisch

katfisch

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 17 September 2008 - 23:58

QUOTE (Usui @ Sep 17 2008, 12:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just got a pen that I would love to do a review on. I think I'm going to borrow from your idea. This is pretty cool.

Looking forward to seeing your 3x5 review, Usui.
Is in going to be of the Pelikan M215?
- Mark Twain

#11 DeaconKC

DeaconKC

Professional Predator Hunter

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 882 posts

Posted 17 January 2009 - 05:34

Just picked one up on the clearance sale at Office Depot. $27 out the door, figured even if I didn't like it I could sell it and get my money back. Slipped in the converter, flushed it out and inked it with PR Tropical Blue [it's a blue marbled pen] and it is wonderful. The medium nib is smooth as butter and writes just wonderfully. This pen has a nice weight and balance. It ain't going anywhere except work with me!
Let courage rise with danger, and strength to strength oppose.
There is no snooze button on a cat wanting breakfast.
Posted Image

#12 katfisch

katfisch

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 January 2009 - 02:39

That's a great price! My Phileas is one of my best performers, writes well upside down, and feels great in hand. What's not to like?

- Mark Twain

#13 Cerbeos

Cerbeos

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 655 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 19 January 2009 - 03:20

Great review, quick and short smile.gif

I'm just always keeping my eye out for a sale like that! ($27 @ the Depot) My best friend has a Phileas and loooves it.
Posted Image

#14 katfisch

katfisch

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 17:35

QUOTE (Cerbeos @ Jan 18 2009, 09:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great review, quick and short smile.gif

I'm just always keeping my eye out for a sale like that! ($27 @ the Depot) My best friend has a Phileas and loooves it.

I wish I could find another one for under $30. I'm working far from home today, and "forgot" to take one of the pens in my usual rotation (some of which are kind of pricey). But the Phileas was available, and I'm amazed that it:
1) started immediately after sitting capped for several months, and
2) writes beautifully, with a smooth wet line, upside down and rightside up.

- Mark Twain

#15 Michael W

Michael W

Made in Canada

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 19 February 2009 - 17:41

Good review!! I love my Phileas M also, and am looking around for an F at a good price. Most of the e-bay
sellers I find think this pen is worth 50-100 dollars and most want 30 to ship it sheesh!! headsmack.gif Well patience is a virtue I am told. Again great review on a great pen. Cheers Mike
Parker
51 set
21 set
21 Desk sets
Sheaffer
Preludes F M BP
Imperials
Snorkel Sentinel Admiral Statesman
Craftsmen
No-Nonsense M Italic
Reform 1745
Waterman Phileas F M
Might like a 149 someday!!

A bad day on the water is better than a good day in the office

#16 JerryVK

JerryVK

I get the point!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 204 posts

Posted 20 February 2009 - 00:55

I have three of the Waterman Phileas pens: one black with the fine nib and two blue marble with the medium nib. The last one I purchased Monday for $15.00 as Tuesday Morning (a discount store). They sell many Parker and Waterman pens, but you have to look for them. I have used all kinds of fountain pens from the Sailor 1911, Sapporo, Platinum, Parker 51, Pelikan 600 and 200 ... but I keep coming back to the Waterman Phileas. It fits my hand well, and writes as smoothly as the best of them.
Jerry

#17 Sailor Kenshin

Sailor Kenshin

Heart of sword

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,147 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 21 February 2009 - 01:40

QUOTE (wvbeetlebug @ Sep 17 2008, 01:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (katfisch @ Sep 17 2008, 12:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

At least I'm not the only one. Pen and ink must match. It just must. Great review!
thumbup.gif

Same here!

Great review---I have a blue marbled Phileas as well---mine came in that presentation box with carts, a bottle of ink, and a booklet on how to use a fountain pen!

Sponsored Content

|