WTB: large nib

curioti

I am looking for a large nib for a bespoke pen I am ordering. Ideally (heh) I would like a waterman, but anything that size will work. Anyone wnow where I could find such a thing?

THe pen will be 7" long and 11/16" wide. SO I need a good sized nib. Any help or diretion would be appreciated.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• curioti

• kazoolaw

• Univer

• Betsy

I've not had the pleasure of seeing a Waterman 8 live. Try the vintage nib page of Nibs.com

The Waterman large 100 year nib is pretty good sized. There is also an Emblem nib which is the same size as the larger 100 Year.

gary

Thanks, Gary. I will have to get measurements to check how they compare. I have a #17 nib which sems closes to a #6 waterman. Just a tad small.

There is a Buy It Now listing on eBay that might be of interest to you.

5 #8 FOUNTAIN PEN NIBS,14K,FOR BIG FLAT TOPS,DUOFOLD A+

Item number: 140217327117

There is a Buy It Now listing on eBay that might be of interest to you.

5 #8 FOUNTAIN PEN NIBS,14K,FOR BIG FLAT TOPS,DUOFOLD A+

Item number: 140217327117

I wonder how those stack up in size. It is hard to tell from aphoto, but they look like a Waterman #6 to me. Nonetheless, thank you for sending me this. I have searched ebay endlessly and did not find this posting. Odd how one can miss these things.

I have an email out to the seller. If they are big enough, I am in tall cotton! 5 big nibs--WOOHOO!

Hi,

Note that these nibs, notwithstanding the eBay description, are clearly marked "14K Gold Plated." That's not to say that they aren't nice writers, or worth the asking price; but if you're seeking a gold nib for a custom pen, you won't find one in this lot.

Cheers,

Jon

The best source is to find a junker flat-top with a nib that is of the right size. John Mottishaw lists #8 warranted nibs at $30-70. Genuine Waterman #8's list at $250...OUCH!

If you post enough WTB's here, Pentrace, or Zoss for a warranted #8, someone will take you up on it.

If you can settle for steel nibs, there are plenty around in China and India that are of superb quality. I have one on a Deccan Advocate 56-58 sized modern Indian ED that is superb. Very stiff, but very nice. Gold plated.

You might also call Richard Binder. He probably has blank nibs.

How about Bock in Germany at http://www.peter-bock.com/home.html ? Email them and ask how much a stock, blank nib costs.

Skip

Edited by skipwilliams

Skip Williams

www.skipwilliams.com/blog

The best source is to find a junker flat-top with a nib that is of the right size. John Mottishaw lists #8 warranted nibs at $30-70. Genuine Waterman #8's list at $250...OUCH!

If you post enough WTB's here, Pentrace, or Zoss for a warranted #8, someone will take you up on it.

If you can settle for steel nibs, there are plenty around in China and India that are of superb quality. I have one on a Deccan Advocate 56-58 sized modern Indian ED that is superb. Very stiff, but very nice. Gold plated.

You might also call Richard Binder. He probably has blank nibs.

How about Bock in Germany at http://www.peter-bock.com/home.html ? Email them and ask how much a stock, blank nib costs.

Skip

Well, I plunked the $250 down for the Waterman #8. Then I found out that I can't put it on the custom pen. But at least I can now buy a 58 that is missing a nib :) Perhaps though your suggestion of Bock is workable for the new pen.

Does Mottishaw have a web site? I'll go google it, but I hadn't seen it yet. I am more of a Binder man :)

Thanks for the help.

Well, I plunked the $250 down for the Waterman #8. Then I found out that I can't put it on the custom pen. But at least I can now buy a 58 that is missing a nib :) Perhaps though your suggestion of Bock is workable for the new pen.

Does Mottishaw have a web site? I'll go google it, but I hadn't seen it yet. I am more of a Binder man :)

Thanks for the help.

Never mind. Didn't realize it was nibs.com