The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Nakaya Cigar Piccolo(Kuro-Tamenuri)

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 Legal Eagle

Legal Eagle

Tempura-Tamenuri

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2008 - 22:34

This pen was purchased from John Mottishaw about 1 month ago. It came setup perfectly with an extremely smooth and beautiful two-tone medium point nib.
Mine is the classic Kuro-Tamenuri finish also known as Blackish-red. Very, very beautiful finish; I love the fact that it will change colour with use & time. Right now the red just barely shows through at the edges. In time the red colour should be much more visible.
The esthetics of this pen are spectacular. The urushi lacquer is amazingly smooth, shiny, and has an almost liquid like quality to it. Because of this I found the pen to be very difficult to photograph.
I cannot find a single flaw with this pen.
It is a very light pen and the balance of it is perfect. You could write for hours and probably not feel any strain on your hand or wrist from a pen like this.
Nib is gorgeous and flows perfectly. I chose a medium nib which is pretty much the same as a modern Waterman fine, Im comparing it to a Waterman Exception I sold to another FPN member.
The cap and the section on this pen both screw on securely and feel really nice. This is something I'm nitpicky about with my pens and this one does not dissapoint.
The more I use and look at this pen the more I want to use it. There is something magestic about the urushi lacquer(at least to me anyways). I love how the pen is hand made and takes around 3 months to be crafted.
I can deffinately see myself using this pen 20 years from now, granted I don't lose or drop it.

This pen is without a doubt a 10/10

Enjoy the photos!!

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74  

Ink- J.Herbin Emerald of Chivor

Sponsored Content

#2 Usui

Usui

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 298 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 22:44

How much did it cost you?
Luke 13:1-9 saved my life.

#3 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,914 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 22:54

I got a vicarious thrill out of your consolidating (so to speak) your pens down to this one, and I agree, the Piccolo Cigar is a gorgeous pen (mine is solid black with a single-tone gold (F) nib with my name in kanji in red on the barrel). The Kuro-Tamenuri sounds almost mystical!

I have mine here in my case, in the slot next to the Visconti Metropolis -- a sterling pen, so it's a nice contrast -- and a Parker 51 Special and a Sheaffer Imperial Touchdown (with a Triumph nib, I think). I whittled the number from six to four in my daily rotation... not counting the Parker 21 Super I use at work. Heh.

I am just so... not an amasser of things in any other area of my life, that the pens must be the (sole) manifestation of that all-too-human trait: to get stuff in excessive quantities. Well, I also have a lot of socks, but that's cos I go to the gym every other day, so that's just practical.

Anyway, cheers to you for managing to have the one and only very special pen! It is gorgeous!

Edited by ethernautrix, 09 September 2008 - 22:55.

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#4 Legal Eagle

Legal Eagle

Tempura-Tamenuri

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 09 September 2008 - 23:00

QUOTE (ethernautrix @ Sep 9 2008, 03:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I got a vicarious thrill out of your consolidating (so to speak) your pens down to this one.

Anyway, cheers to you for managing to have the one and only very special pen! It is gorgeous!

Thanks Ethernautrix.

The pen cost me $540 before shipping. $460 for the pen, and $80 for the two-tone nib.

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74  

#5 Heirphoto

Heirphoto

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 23:10

I am in the market for one of these myself but am having a bit of trouble visualizing the size. The sizing charts leave a bit to be desired and the Nibbs.com website also says the size of the pen was increased for 2008.

Can someone measure theirs and tell me the length, not posted from tip of the nib to the very back of the pen..cap off. I do not plan to post mine but have large hands and want to se where the end will fall in my grasp. Some smaller pens, used not posted end right in the crook of my hand between thumb and forefinger.

Thanks,
Tony

Lifetime Leather Journal Covers
The Heirloom Razor Strop Co.

#6 stevlight

stevlight

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,095 posts

Posted 09 September 2008 - 23:56

Does it use a converter and if so does it hold alot of ink? The amount of ink a pen holds is important to me--it has been holding me back from getting one.

Edited by stevlight, 09 September 2008 - 23:56.

www.stevelightart.com

#7 kodoc

kodoc

NOS (New Old Stock)

• Member - Gold

• PipPip
  • 17 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:09

I too am interested in the ink capacity and would be interested in comments about the other finishes, especially the lighter red and green finishes.

Thank you for this review.

Jerry

Edited by kodoc, 10 September 2008 - 01:09.

#8 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2008 - 01:57

Absolutly wonderful but you forgot to tell us what kind of filling mechanism it uses.

I envy you on such a fine pen.
Enjoy it thumbup.gif
Respect to all

#9 playpen

playpen

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,790 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 02:17

Congratulations on the great pen! I would love to buy one but I want to see them in person first.

I hope John is at the Joisey show! smile.gif (with some examples).

#10 Doug C

Doug C

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,505 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 03:23

They use the Platinum cartridge/converter.

Here is my review that shows the Maki-e converter (two fish and seaweed painted on the clear section of the converter). Horrible pictures (can't compare to Legal Eagle's), but you get the idea. You need to go down a few posts to see them.

http://www.fountainp...a double review

Edited by Doug C, 10 September 2008 - 03:28.

the Danitrio Fellowship

#11 ethernautrix

ethernautrix

Be the Pen Posse you want to see in the world.

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,914 posts

Posted 10 September 2008 - 16:16

QUOTE (Heirphoto @ Sep 9 2008, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can someone measure theirs and tell me the length, not posted from tip of the nib to the very back of the pen..cap off.

4.5 inches nib tip to barrel bottom -- or 11.5 centimeters

etherX in To Miasto

Fleekair <--French accent.

#12 duna

duna

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 September 2008 - 19:32

QUOTE (ethernautrix @ Sep 10 2008, 06:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Heirphoto @ Sep 9 2008, 04:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Can someone measure theirs and tell me the length, not posted from tip of the nib to the very back of the pen..cap off.

4.5 inches nib tip to barrel bottom -- or 11.5 centimeters

That's on the smallish part of the spectrum, but the pen is the Nakaya piccolo so I assume it's expected (piccolo meaning baby, small in italian, for those totally unfamiliar with the language). Around the size of a Pelikan 140 (or a modern M200).

The lacquer in this pen is absolutely amazing. I've seen some outstanding crafted objects in Japan (I still remember the grain of the kaya wood on a 20 millions Yen go game board, just as an example) and this work of art is no exception. The nib is also beautiful. I cannot describe a better 'last' pen, even if some are around the same level in my perception/priorities (like a full size urushi and a high end Pelikan cloud9.gif , and that's almost all the list).
In those classic magnific examples of shape (or should I use the forbidden word, form, given such a shining capolavoro), finish, and function are so intertwined to magnify each other. I'll prefer such a pen as an eyedropper (more classic) but this is still a marketable object and this filling system would probably arise suspects of elitism in the mainstream market, outside the small niche of masochists FP enthusiasts. Thank you for sharing.

#13 Heirphoto

Heirphoto

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 373 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 00:58

Thanks for the size info. The makes it just a tad shorter than my Sheaffer Oversize Balance which really feels a bit small in length when not posted. The non-tapered shape may make it feel a bit more substantial though instead of tapering away to a point .

Tony

Lifetime Leather Journal Covers
The Heirloom Razor Strop Co.

#14 jmkeuning

jmkeuning

Stick a fork in me.

• Member - Gold

• 4,948 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 03:18

O
M
G

Freaking sweet!
Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

#15 Leigh R

Leigh R

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 628 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 05:29

I rewarded myself with the exact same pen over the weekend. smile.gif Instead of your medium nib, I have a flexible fine. Pictures and a short write-up are here. Enjoy yours - mine is certainly getting a lot of hand time. smile.gif

#16 Legal Eagle

Legal Eagle

Tempura-Tamenuri

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2008 - 08:47

QUOTE (Leigh R @ Sep 10 2008, 10:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I rewarded myself with the exact same pen over the weekend. smile.gif Instead of your medium nib, I have a flexible fine. Pictures and a short write-up are here. Enjoy yours - mine is certainly getting a lot of hand time. smile.gif

First off I must say that you are absolutely gorgeous embarrassed_smile.gif .

I kind of wish that I had chosen a flexible medium nib. My pen is also getting tons of use.

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74  

#17 feiye

feiye

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 837 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 11 September 2008 - 09:01

Urgh.

Legal Eagle & Leigh, you're both such teasers!

However, I agree, that is one lovely pen. I'd really like to see what the finish is like in a year's time.
In rotation:
Pelikan M400 with Pilot Iroshizuku Momiji
Nakaya Kuro-tame Desk Pen with Platinum Blue
Visconti Van Gogh Maxi with Aurora Black

Twitter: @souveran

#18 Have Fun

Have Fun

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 11 September 2008 - 23:28

I love the look of these pens though didn't realise it was short length

My questions are
on the nib ~ how it writes,
the step in the barrel ~ & where you find the best position to hold the pen

#19 Legal Eagle

Legal Eagle

Tempura-Tamenuri

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 540 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 September 2008 - 00:01

QUOTE (Have Fun @ Sep 11 2008, 04:28 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I love the look of these pens though didn't realise it was short length

My questions are
on the nib ~ how it writes,
the step in the barrel ~ & where you find the best position to hold the pen

The nib is really smooth and writes nicely. The flow is perfect. I find that Nakaya's medium point nib is the perfect size for my writing style.
The section is very comfortable and I find that there isn't really a best position to hold the pen. When Im writing normally I hold the pen down near the flanged portion of the section(bottom of the section before the nib), but when I write my signature I find it nice to hold the pen higher up on the cap threads.
I cannot find any fault with this pen.

Current Favourites

Pen- Pilot Custom 74  

#20 Opus104

Opus104

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 19 September 2008 - 13:39

This is exactly the unposted length of my Sailor Professional Gears. This may be perfect . . .

Sponsored Content

|