Sugarcane Paper at Staples

Djehuty

Nice scan. I wonder if the difference between your old Canon and other scanners is in the scanner software. Maybe other scanner software attempts to keep the shine through to a minimum--just wild speculation.

I have been unable to find this paper in tablets or other non-notebook formats at Staples. I'd like to be able to use it for informal correspondence (at least to my eco-phile friends). But it does come in a spiral-bound notebook (6" x 9.5") with perforations along the edge. That works.

You haven't been able to find the loose leaf? The 2 Staples that I go to have displays for most of the notebooks but the loose leaf stock is displayed in the section with the other loose leaf paper.

Cedar

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Inka

• JohnS-MI

• Cedar

• Possum Hill

Inka, thanks for your review-clear description of the paper, and in relation to your scan.

same experience with my recent bagasse purchase of the spiralbound.

for those of you inquiring at staples for bagasse or Staples eco-friendly, you may find the different products in different places in the store..check the journal section, composition book section, wirebound section, office supply section, school supply section...as well as the aisle/sale endcaps.

ask the staples staff, but they may not know all of their stock well enough to direct you to the several different products..

the paper has brown lines, and the covered composition books have brown wrapping paper covers-some plain, some with stripes, or vines and flowers.

Nice handwriting!

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Thanks for the kind words and the compliments on my handwriting too!

:blush: :vbg:

I found my loose-leaf college ruled binder paper with the other paper of similar styles, in the middle of the memo, composition, journal, in with the loose-leaf paper on that isle for @ $1.79 here in Florida.

Mine has 15# weight with 100 pages in each package and all other styles with this paper that I'd seen seem to have the same light-brown lines made using vegetable-and-water based inks, whether wide or college ruled.

If you can't find them in your local Staples, you can order directly from the Staples Website here and often have them delivered for free to your local store, no added shipping costs that way.

I did this when trying to get some new Day-Timer refill sheets for my mint-condition, 20+ year old "vintage" Canadian-made 100% pigskin 7-ring Desk binder [has a black crocodile pattern that's absolutely gorgeous!].

I ordered the Day-Timer Coastlines Desk-size refill packs online yesterday, got a call today from my local Staples store to come and pick them up, no S&H charges added.

Now that's incredibly fast delivery IMO, much faster than online orders I've made when delivered to my home and a great way to shop since it also saves a bundle you'd otherwise have to pay for S&H with most online orders too.

I'd also ordered a new Day-Timer Address and Phone Number set with colored tabs at the same time I ordered the refills, each tab in a different color and that's due to arrive next Monday since it's coming from a different warehouse [i was told].

I want to transfer all the Contact information stored on my computer to this new Day-Timer Address and Phone Number set, just in case of power outages [which we have many of, here in n. Florida, especially during hurricane season].

That will also give me a hard copy of all my important contact information for when we need to evacuate when hurricanes do hit here, or when traveling, something I've been wanting to do for years now and just never got around to it.

In the past few weeks I've been digging through hundreds of boxes trying to find my old pens, many of them vintage fountain pens of all types that I haven't seen in over 20 years.

While I still haven't found my old pens, I have been finding all sorts of old leather binders, leather portfolios, leather notebook binders, leather legal pad covers, all sorts of cool things I'd not seen in decades.

I've not only been re-bitten by the fountain pen bug but I'm going wild discovering all the new papers for my old treasures, like this sugarcane paper for my old binders [thanks to many of you here].

Thanks again, to all, for the suggestions, the reviews, the pictures, all the rest.

This is a great place to be and I'll do my best to help out whenever I can, just as you've been helping me!

:notworthy1:

Edited by Inka

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

There is nothing else like it; the art of writing and the painting of words!”

~Inka~ [scott]; 5 October, 2009

Nice scan. I wonder if the difference between your old Canon and other scanners is in the scanner software. Maybe other scanner software attempts to keep the shine through to a minimum--just wild speculation.

I have been unable to find this paper in tablets or other non-notebook formats at Staples. I'd like to be able to use it for informal correspondence (at least to my eco-phile friends). But it does come in a spiral-bound notebook (6" x 9.5") with perforations along the edge. That works.

You haven't been able to find the loose leaf? The 2 Staples that I go to have displays for most of the notebooks but the loose leaf stock is displayed in the section with the other loose leaf paper.

Cedar

Cedar,

I was hoping to find some without holes! I don't mind writing letters on odd stationery of various kinds, but for some reason it bothers me when there are holes in the paper I'm writing a letter on. (I don't mind getting a letter with holes, mind you--just another strange quirk of mine.)

Just checking, I see they do have pads of the stuff on the Web site, but not at my local Staples.

Ralph

Edited by ralphawilson

"The surface is all you've got. You can only get beyond the surface by working with the surface." ~Richard Avedon

... I was hoping to find some without holes! I don't mind writing letters on odd stationery of various kinds, but for some reason it bothers me when there are holes in the paper I'm writing a letter on. (I don't mind getting a letter with holes, mind you--just another strange quirk of mine.)

Just checking, I see they do have pads of the stuff on the Web site, but not at my local Staples.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

if you click here, you'll see the writing pads are Delivery Only but if you place the order online you can opt to have them delivered at your local Staples store free of shipping charges.

I'm with you in that I have the same "quirk" as you say, don't care much for sending letters with binder holes, don't much care for even the left margins but that's more do-able IMO.

I bought the binder paper just to have something to test out, before spending $12.99 on the writing pads.

Now that I'm done testing and I'm convinced this paper is very fountain pen friendly I will most likely buy the 12-pack of writing pads now, for the reason you've stated.

You'll see it says "Item qualifies for free delivery to a store near you" and "Expected Delivery 1 Business Day" so if ordered today [Friday] you'll have it next Monday.

You've talked me into it; now I too want a pad of the sugarcane Writing Pads paper, so I can write letters without holes.

B)

“I view my fountain pens & inks as an artist might view their brushes and paints.

They flow across paper as a brush to canvas, transforming my thoughts into words and my words into art.

... I was hoping to find some without holes! I don't mind writing letters on odd stationery of various kinds, but for some reason it bothers me when there are holes in the paper I'm writing a letter on. (I don't mind getting a letter with holes, mind you--just another strange quirk of mine.)

Ralph

Hi Ralph,

if you click here, you'll see the writing pads are Delivery Only but if you place the order online you can opt to have them delivered at your local Staples store free of shipping charges.

I'm with you in that I have the same "quirk" as you say, don't care much for sending letters with binder holes, don't much care for even the left margins but that's more do-able IMO.

I bought the binder paper just to have something to test out, before spending $12.99 on the writing pads.

Now that I'm done testing and I'm convinced this paper is very fountain pen friendly I will most likely buy the 12-pack of writing pads now, for the reason you've stated.

You'll see it says "Item qualifies for free delivery to a store near you" and "Expected Delivery 1 Business Day" so if ordered today [Friday] you'll have it next Monday.

You've talked me into it; now I too want a pad of the sugarcane Writing Pads paper, so I can write letters without holes.

B)

:roflmho: Well, it's a good thing you don't mind GETTING letters with holes in the paper because you're very likely to get MORE! Now, I'd rather have holes in the margin of the paper than that perforation line especially if it's at the top! Don't mind getting them but............oh well....we did that part! Weird quirks of fountain pen people! Maybe we're just quirky in the first place using fountain pens.

I certainly would like this paper to be available in a no line, no holes, no perforation version. I asked but no luck.

Does anyone know how this became referred to as "bagasse" paper? Nowhere that I can find on the package does it say "bagasse". What does bagasse mean, anyway? Maybe it means "paper for crazy people" in Egyptian? :bunny01:

Cedar

Does anyone know how this became referred to as "bagasse" paper? Nowhere that I can find on the package does it say "bagasse". What does bagasse mean, anyway? Maybe it means "paper for crazy people" in Egyptian? :bunny01:

Cedar

:roflmho:

Cracked me up about the quirks we quirky FPs users have.

No doubt about it, I admit to being quirky.

Bagasse; same here, looked all over the package and never did see this referenced.

I did, however, find it listed in Wikipedia here, along with Blue Agave Bagasse.

Too funny, the idea of making paper from an Agave cactus after brewing up some Tequila...

Hmmm, Tequila cactus paper; I'm not a drinker really but that I'd like to try too.

B)

Oops, wrong Link to Wiki.

Just fixed it.

Edited by Inka

It is the fibrous waste left over from sugarcane after it has been processed.

Dennise

The faintest ink is more powerful than the strongest memory.

-- Old Chinese Proverb

The Staples at Wabash & Washington in Chicago not only has these in stock, it has them ON SALE: 8.5 x 11 pads are $5.99 for 8. Smaller size is 2/$1.99, which is also regular price for the larger size.

Pam

oh, just thought of something you may want to consider in your eco-friendly selection..

the smaller wire-bound has college ruled lines..the others are wide ruled lines..

Actually my binder paper, shown in my scan, are college ruled too.

I've been writing on it daily since getting it and prefer the college ruled to wide.

I've re-worked my F nib daily writer down to an XF and smoothed it out, so I prefer the CR lines for the finer writing.

The larger coil bound notebook in 8-1/2"x11" is also college ruled.

I am glad though that you've pointed this out, p2p, since I'd almost ordered the 12x Writing Pads thinking they too were CR.

Thanks for getting me to take another look, I do appreciate it. Nice catch!

Maybe I'll write to Staples Corporate and put in a request for some non-ruled/non-holed/non-perforated sheets be produced for us FP users.

That would make for a nice stationery and sketching paper too, if they did away with everything and just had clean loose-leaf we could buy.

:thumbup:

The Staples at Wabash & Washington in Chicago not only has these in stock, it has them ON SALE: 8.5 x 11 pads are $5.99 for 8. Smaller size is 2/$1.99, which is also regular price for the larger size.

Pam

I wonder if that's a weekend sale, that may be here as well?

I went in to my local Staples yesterday and they'd just put up some major new displays of their new line of 100% leather-bound journals, notebooks, pocket notebooks, all kinds of new things and at very reasonable prices.

They had a real calfskin covered notebook with gold gilded edges and a ribbon page mark much like moleskines I've seen, but this not only had a true leather cover but had @ 172 fine ruled pages with a replaceable inner pad, only $19.95 with the first paper filler, not too shabby and really nice looking.

I'll need to check the weekend sale flyer and see what's on sale where I live.

Thanks for the heads-up, Pam, nice!

Cedar

:roflmho:

Cracked me up about the quirks we quirky FPs users have.

No doubt about it, I admit to being quirky.

Bagasse; same here, looked all over the package and never did see this referenced.

I did, however, find it listed in Wikipedia here, along with Blue Agave Bagasse.

Too funny, the idea of making paper from an Agave cactus after brewing up some Tequila...

Hmmm, Tequila cactus paper; I'm not a drinker really but that I'd like to try too.

B)

Oops, wrong Link to Wiki.

Just fixed it.

Thanks for that link! Very interesting! :thumbup: Now why didn't I think of checking wikipedia? Another quirk, I guess!

Cedar

Bagasse paper just not available in the UK,at least not from Staples.

I've had a couple of kind offers by fellow FPN members to supply direct from the US. I'll see if these are still available-I hope so.

I have found that I really like how thin the paper is. I use a Ren Art Folder Holder and once I get 10 or so subjects going in it, regular paper gets really heavy. This is nice and light and thin and doesn't cause too much weight or bulk. Cool.

Why, sometimes I'd like to take a switchblade and a peppermint and a Cadillac and throw it all in a fire.

Danitrio Fellowship

Cedar

On the inside cover of my 6 x 9.5" Staples EcoEasy notebook there is an explanation that begins

"The pages you're holding were made with 80% bagasse. What's bagasse? It's the name for the plant fiber waste remaining after sugarcane is processed and crushed to make sugar..."

A certified Inkophile

inkophile on tumblr,theinkophile on instagram,inkophile on twitter

After reading several of the entries about this Staples paper, I made a trip this afternoon to our local Staples and, lo and behold, yes, there it was (actually I had to get help to find it--and the clerks looked at me as if I had descended from Mars when I said I was looking for "sugarcane paper" but then one of them said, "Oh, Eco-friendly paper" and off he went and found it for me). I bought both a notebook 8 1/2 by 11 and a pack of 100 loose sheets, lined, also 8 1/2 by 11. Tonight I tried three pens on a sheet--each pen is a medium nib modified to left oblique cursive italic. Superb!!! Smooth, no feathering, no bleed-through, quick drying. I love the thinness of this paper along with the fact that it's eco-friendly. Like another person or two who have posted about this product, I'd like to see unlined 8 1/2 by 11 sheets to use as stationery. I believe those folks who love onion-skin paper and bemoan its disappearance would be very satisfied with this paper as a genuine substitute. Highly recommended!

This might be a bit of a dumb question (or worse, already answered) but how come the paper looks like it has seen water damage? It's quite wrinkled in the smaller notebooks, not so much in the shrink wrapped pads.hmm1.gif

I can attest to how well it takes ink. Writing with a Pilot V-Pen, which puts down a river of ink, doesn't bleed or even show through the other side.

Namiki Kasuri VP, Pilot Murex

Sailor Sapporo / Sailor 1911

Lamy 2000 / Studio / Safari

WTB: Nakaya Writer (when pigs fly!)

This might be a bit of a dumb question (or worse, already answered) but how come the paper looks like it has seen water damage? It's quite wrinkled in the smaller notebooks, not so much in the shrink wrapped pads.hmm1.gif...

I've noticed the same thing when I'd purchased mine, very fine ripples in the center of the sheets.

It's not heavily rippled, doesn't affect writing, but enough that I too was wondering the same thing.

I've seen similar ripples on other 15# college ruled paper I've bought, so maybe it's in the manufacturing process?

When I first saw it I thought it may have been due to the high humidity where I live, often well over 60%.

Good question and one I plan on looking into, although it doesn't really bother me.