Amazing North Carolina Pen Shop

bran

Hello All-

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. We hear stories of pen shops who could care less if you come in, so I wanted to share a great experience I had today.

I just have to extol the greatness of Origami Ink. I traveled about two hours to pick up my Visconti Divinia Proporzione. He spent more than two hours showing me around the shop and his various stock (several Michel Perchin items, Visconti, and much more). And he priced the pen in a way that I could not believe.

If you are in North Carolina...it really is worth a trip. Not only does Jonathan have a great shop, but he is a great guy as well. Should he still have the Michel Perchin Russian Eagle around Christmas, I may have to make it mine.

Thanks Jonathan. You have a customer for life.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bran

• wvbeetlebug

• GardenWeasel

• HerosNSuch

Awesome. I have read about this place, but have not yet ventured there. So far I'm limited to Sharon Luggage.

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

why can I not find this on mapquest?

"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."

-Albert Einstein

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

BP/Pencil set trade

why can I not find this on mapquest?

FOUND IT!

:clap1:

So excited I could pee. A new haunt for me is a rare find, as anyone from Charlotte will attest. We don't have that many good pen stores, and they have Noodlers. That means no more waiting for those wonderful hues. This is so awesome.

"If I had only known, I would have been a locksmith."

-Albert Einstein

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png http://img244.imageshack.us/img244/5642/postcardde9.png

BP/Pencil set trade

Kathy - I'm just north of you in Walnut Cove and had been limited to Sharon Luggage as well. I will gladly drive to Charlotte and bypass Sharon Luggage every single time! Now Jonathan doesn't exactly stock the inexpensive stuff. From Michele Perchin through Visconti to Acme, he has great stuff. It is about a two hour drive, but that gives me time to think about what color Noodler's I "need" and what my next purchase will be. I may be heading down next week for a great Visconti Opera he has in stock.

Bran

Kathy - I'm just north of you in Walnut Cove and had been limited to Sharon Luggage as well. I will gladly drive to Charlotte and bypass Sharon Luggage every single time! Now Jonathan doesn't exactly stock the inexpensive stuff. From Michele Perchin through Visconti to Acme, he has great stuff. It is about a two hour drive, but that gives me time to think about what color Noodler's I "need" and what my next purchase will be. I may be heading down next week for a great Visconti Opera he has in stock.

Bran

I was waiting for this sort of info in order to chime in without sounding like a downer. I visited a month or so ago, and I agree that this is a very high-end stationery store. Great pens, but a vast majority of which are a few hundred dollars out of my price range. I was kind of expecting this (it is right outside of South Park Mall, mind you) but I thought that if my hunch was correct, I'd at least be able to walk away with some interesting ink. Some Visconti; very little Noodlers; some scented inks; very little else. What little I could afford didn't interest me.

It is a beautiful shop in an interesting place and the proprietor is obviously interested in his wares and his customers -- but I'm still looking for a nice, utilitarian, well stocked B&M pen shop around here. One can hope...

That's a great story. I will stop by.

Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Bran

I was waiting for this sort of info in order to chime in without sounding like a downer. I visited a month or so ago, and I agree that this is a very high-end stationery store. Great pens, but a vast majority of which are a few hundred dollars out of my price range. I was kind of expecting this (it is right outside of South Park Mall, mind you) but I thought that if my hunch was correct, I'd at least be able to walk away with some interesting ink. Some Visconti; very little Noodlers; some scented inks; very little else. What little I could afford didn't interest me.

It is a beautiful shop in an interesting place and the proprietor is obviously interested in his wares and his customers -- but I'm still looking for a nice, utilitarian, well stocked B&M pen shop around here. One can hope...

When you find a nice B&M let me know. I don't think there is much of a market for utilitarian pen shops in NC. Maybe a few of us should go in together and open one. We coul carry everything from a Pilot Varsity to Lamy up through MIchel Perchin and AP Limiteds. You do have to be looking for pens in an upper price range for Origami to met your needs. That is why I mentioned Michel Perchin and Visconti. Like you said, this is the kind of pen shop you expect to see in South Park Village. I like the high end stuff, and if you can afford it, this is the place to go.

Most of the pens I would love to have are out of my price range (go figure), but I still like to window shop. I would expect nothing less from a store located at the South Park Mall. I haven't been there since they rebuilt/added on. It's easier for me to go to the Southpointe Mall in Durham. It's a straight shot for me. Just hit I-40 and roll on!

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

Hello All-

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. We hear stories of pen shops who could care less if you come in, so I wanted to share a great experience I had today.

I just have to extol the greatness of Origami Ink. I traveled about two hours to pick up my Visconti Divinia Proporzione. He spent more than two hours showing me around the shop and his various stock (several Michel Perchin items, Visconti, and much more). And he priced the pen in a way that I could not believe.

If you are in North Carolina...it really is worth a trip. Not only does Jonathan have a great shop, but he is a great guy as well. Should he still have the Michel Perchin Russian Eagle around Christmas, I may have to make it mine.

Address?Phone?website?

Most of the pens I would love to have are out of my price range (go figure), but I still like to window shop. I would expect nothing less from a store located at the South Park Mall. I haven't been there since they rebuilt/added on. It's easier for me to go to the Southpointe Mall in Durham. It's a straight shot for me. Just hit I-40 and roll on!

Are there any pen shops in Southepoint? It has been about two years since I have been down there.

My wife and I visited Origami Ink yesterday. We've driven to Southpark mall numerous times (but) we honestly did not know this 'village' was there! Anyway, beautiful store - wonderful stuff, but we were a week early, 'cause new supply of Noodlers Ink is suppose to arrive midweek. Next weekend would have been better. Nice stock of interesting items...Anyone notice the Raven? (NICE!)

My wife and I visited Origami Ink yesterday. We've driven to Southpark mall numerous times (but) we honestly did not know this 'village' was there! Anyway, beautiful store - wonderful stuff, but we were a week early, 'cause new supply of Noodlers Ink is suppose to arrive midweek. Next weekend would have been better. Nice stock of interesting items...Anyone notice the Raven? (NICE!)

Raven? Don't know what you are talking about...please tell.

Are there any pen shops in Southepoint? It has been about two years since I have been down there.

No. Sorry. I was just generally speaking.

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

Raven? Don't know what you are talking about...please tell.

A nicely done hand made Raven with carved rulers as wings, a wee helmet, and many shiny doo-dads on it that would be typical of items a Raven would 'borrow' from folks... just a delight to look at! On another shelf down was a wonderfully well done bird with a beanie cap with a propeller on top, sitting on a pair of binoculars! They make me smile in memory...

Okay...I know what you are talking about now. I especially liked the clock he has behind the counter and there was one on the top right window display unit (if you are looking outside from the shop interior). He does have some unique items.

• 8 months later...

I finally made a visit to Origami Ink in downtown Asheville today (they used to be located in Charlotte, NC) -- lovely store, very friendly and knowledgeable owners. Bought some Periwinkle Noodler's ink and some stationery, and met up with two FPN friends. The owners are eager to please and interested to know what items penlovers might want. I hope they will flourish!

Debbie

Hello All-