Private Reserve Ebony Purple

declanh

I'm currently using this ink in a MB Starwalker Cool Blue with a medium nib. It's a wet pen. I'm using it on Tomoe River Paper and I noticed a sheen for the first time just before reading this thread. I'm also finding that the purple is coming out more on the cream Tomoe River paper than on other papers such as white Rhodia.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• declanh

• Tricia

• AlejoPlay

• jmkeuning

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It may be a scanner thing. I've never gotten much shading when I've used this ink. It's very hard to distinguish the ebony purple from black ink, even in a stub or broad nib. I want to love this ink, but I just can't; not enough or the purple comes through.

Amen Sister. An employee gave me a bottle as a present (ink for the "old guy"). I've tried to like it but I don't see the point. To me it just looks muddy, blackish, not BLACK like I want. I see some purple on my hand when I smudge it because its still WET fergodsake. Different strokes I guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Beautiful review. I appreciated the size of the scan that you included. I felt like I could really get in and see what I was looking for - the shading.

Gorgeous color. I also am in love with their ebony blue.

Accentuate the positive.

http://i729.photobucket.com/albums/ww296/messiah_FPN/Badges/SnailBadge.png

• 5 weeks later...

Edited to add: I've had Noodler's Purple Martin in a Pelikan demonstrator for years (uh, lots of fills over the years /default/tongue.gif ) and nary a problem. Pels are always great writers, ime, and this one with PM is no exception. Gorgeous color, too. A bit lighter than Wampum

Tricia, I realize that your reply to this post is now SEVERAL years old, but if you're still responding to it I'd like to ask you if you've had any staining issues with the Noodler's Purple Wampum in your clear Pelikan demonstrator? I have one demonstrator, the blue M205 and I'm always cautious about what ink to use in it and I've read several places that purples are not the best in demonstrators for that reason. So I'd love to know your thoughts.

And just so that I'm not totally hijacking the thread, I just bought PR Ebony Purple specifically because of this wonderful review! I agree that it is a lovely and very interesting color. However, when I opened my bottle I saw lots of particulate matter on the lid and the ink looked "chalky" because of it. I also noticed that when I left it uncapped for about 10 minutes, I saw a film of something on the surface of the ink in the bottle. It wasn't mold though. I'm a little scared to put this in one of my Pelikans, thought I bought it specifically to put in a red M600. So I put it in a Platinum Preppy (eyedropper converted) just to test it out. It writes just fine, beautiful in fact. But I'm scared to put it in anything else.

Has anyone ever seen this issue? What are your thoughts about using the ink this way?

Thanks declanh, for for the very nice review.

Edited by GeekyGirl