Bad Converters?

dmorgen

Hi there - I've been reading this with interest...as every once in a while I'll get a skip as well, also with the Taccia. Are you going to use the Pelikan converters in the Taccias? Will they fit? I ask as I'm seriously thinking of getting a couple on hand. Thanks and best of luck - let us know what happens

I hope so! :D I'm sure going to try!

I'll post any discoveries as soon as I make them. But it could be a few days, by the time I get the converters (shipped today) & use them awhile.

Dave

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• dmorgen

• tryphon

• Kelly

• saintsimon

Hi there - I've been reading this with interest...as every once in a while I'll get a skip as well, also with the Taccia. Are you going to use the Pelikan converters in the Taccias? Will they fit? I ask as I'm seriously thinking of getting a couple on hand. Thanks and best of luck - let us know what happens

I hope so! :D I'm sure going to try!

I'll post any discoveries as soon as I make them. But it could be a few days, by the time I get the converters (shipped today) & use them awhile.

Dave

:lol: Okay, I'll look forward to the report...fingers crossed :D

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

Dave

Hi, Dave, untill the converters arrive, you may try the cartridges for comparison :huh:

I tried switching from a Hero converter to a Rotring converter and it didn't help my dry skipping new pen.

I then switched from Noodler's Midnight Blue to Swishmix Tahitian Pearl and Presto! It's very well behaved now. The Tahitian Pearl has some good Tanzanite properties to it.

I suppose it's only fitting that a Black Pearl pen likes Tahitian Pearl ink. :)

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

I've made some good progress, and some not. I switched to Pelikan converters in my Taccia Mother of Pearl and Stipula Duetto. I tried the Pelikan converter in my Taccia Doric; but despite this being a big pen, the converter was too long; the Doric comes with a very short converter. So I'm still using it with its original converter. In all cases & flushed with a dishwasher liquid (Palmolive green) in water solution, then plain water.

So far, after just limited use, all 3 pens are working ok. But as I recall, they did previously after a flush & ink. I'm using different inks this time: MOP - Waterman Blue-Black; Doric - Noodler's Walnut; Duetto - Waterman Florida Blue.

My Sheaffer Legacy with touchdown filler also had the skipping problem. So, it was flushed the same way & inked this time with Aurora Black. I'm using this ink for the first time - it's very smooth & looks great! So far, no skipping problem.

There's one more patient added to the list. I just received my new Sailor 1911 with Music Nib. It has the skipping problem, though not as bad as the others at their worst. You could see the ink having a tendency to not move in the original converters of the first 3 pens. That is definitely not the case with the Sailor. But I have hope for the Sailor ... my Sailor 1911M with Music Nib (not the 21K the 1911 has) also had a skipping problem. But after not using it for awhile & multiple flushes as above, it started writing great without any skipping problem whatsoever. Hopefully, the 1911 will also start behaving itself! BTW, this pen is inked with Waterman Florida Blue.

If anybody has any other ideas, I'd love to hear about them! I'll post any additional news.

Dave

I've made some good progress, and some not. I switched to Pelikan converters in my Taccia Mother of Pearl and Stipula Duetto. I tried the Pelikan converter in my Taccia Doric; but despite this being a big pen, the converter was too long; the Doric comes with a very short converter. So I'm still using it with its original converter. In all cases & flushed with a dishwasher liquid (Palmolive green) in water solution, then plain water.

So far, after just limited use, all 3 pens are working ok. But as I recall, they did previously after a flush & ink. I'm using different inks this time: MOP - Waterman Blue-Black; Doric - Noodler's Walnut; Duetto - Waterman Florida Blue.

My Sheaffer Legacy with touchdown filler also had the skipping problem. So, it was flushed the same way & inked this time with Aurora Black. I'm using this ink for the first time - it's very smooth & looks great! So far, no skipping problem.

There's one more patient added to the list. I just received my new Sailor 1911 with Music Nib. It has the skipping problem, though not as bad as the others at their worst. You could see the ink having a tendency to not move in the original converters of the first 3 pens. That is definitely not the case with the Sailor. But I have hope for the Sailor ... my Sailor 1911M with Music Nib (not the 21K the 1911 has) also had a skipping problem. But after not using it for awhile & multiple flushes as above, it started writing great without any skipping problem whatsoever. Hopefully, the 1911 will also start behaving itself! BTW, this pen is inked with Waterman Florida Blue.

If anybody has any other ideas, I'd love to hear about them! I'll post any additional news.

Dave

Dave, I so appreciate the update. Good to know about the Pelikan and the Taccia fit :( I drained my MOP, cleaned and flushed (I had not done this previously before the first inking :doh: ) So far, so good. We'll see how it behaves in the next few days. I've never had this problem before and I own another Taccia, Pelikan, Esterbrooks, and Mabie Todds - of course, in that line-up there's only one c/c and that's the Taccia. I'm going to be ordering another 2 pens this weekend both with c/c fillers and, needless to say, the first thing I'm doing when they arrive is getting out the dish soap :D

I hope it works out for you and you're able to ink your pens with whatever ink you choose without skipping- keep us updated! :)

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

And another update ... ! :D

For the most part, the pens are writing better, but with some skipping generally, with the additional flushing using the dishwashing detergent, "priming" inks mostly, and new & flushed Pelikan Converters (for the Stipula Duetto & Taccia Mother of Pearl). They are also going through ink quite rapidly ... but I didn't try to be conscientious about getting the converters very full, since I want to use up this boring ink, so I can move on to something more exciting!

But there's one interesting thing I've noticed now, and recall seeing in most cases previously. It also happened on my new Sailor 1911 a little while ago. When a pen either starts skipping or writing very dryly, I can screw down the converter somewhat & really improve the ink flow. Sometimes the increase in ink flow is so great, it's as if the ink has changed color! Here's what's interesting ... I can screw down the converter a lot, usually until the piston has gone all the way down without any ink coming out of the pen! This ink has to go somewhere, so presumably the feed has a lot of spare room. This could explain a lot of my problems, but not WHY this occurs! Any ideas? I would think I have a pen with a bad feed, but it happens on many different pens with many different inks. I know I sometimes forget to do the 3 ink drop trick after filling, but I also know that I remember it a lot of the time; so it could be a contributing factor, but not THE cause.

Dave