The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Blotting paper

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DerMann

DerMann

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts

Posted 31 August 2008 - 23:45

This Friday I received my first rocker blotter, which was nabbed off the 'bay for about $20.

It's vintage and in fairly good condition. It came with a blue piece of blotting paper which had been an advert for Ralph A. Tillotson Lumber. While I am going to keep it, it does not blot very well.

Being in a dorm in a new city, I have no available options for quick blotting paper, so I ordered a pack from Pendemonium.

While I was bored today, I took a paper towel, and folded it in half three times. For whatever reason, it's the perfect width and length for my blotter.

I got my pad and Duofold out to try it. Signed my name, and with thick pools of Quink royal blue on the paper, I blotted. With one pass, it managed to pick up all the ink and smear none of it.

Conclusion:

Paper towels are good substitutes for blotting paper.
Collection:
Waterman: 52V BCHR, 55 BCHR
Sheaffer: Peacock Blue Snorkel Sentinel, Black Snorkel Admiral, Persian Blue Touchdown Statesman
Parker: Silver 1946 Vacumatic, 1929 Lacquer red Duofold Senior, Burgundy "51" Special
Misc: Reform 1745, Hero 616, two pen holders and about 20 nibs.

Sponsored Content

#2 Shangas

Shangas

Sealing wax and other fancy stuff...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 31 August 2008 - 23:48

I reached that conclusion months ago laugh.gif

In fact, I don't buy blotting paper anymore. I just steal huge armfuls of paper-towels from work. I got it all stocked in my drawers right now and use that instead.
http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

#3 thibaulthalpern

thibaulthalpern

Stop and See / 止觀

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 03 September 2008 - 19:18

What wrong with using toilet paper as blotting paper? I've used it a few times and it seems to work :-) And...toilet paper is readily available :-) Of course, we can all go for "Bounty Paper" if we believe that it's such a highly absorbent paper towel.
m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

#4 encephalartos

encephalartos

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 558 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 00:48

QUOTE (thibaulthalpern @ Sep 3 2008, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
What wrong with using toilet paper as blotting paper? I've used it a few times and it seems to work :-) And...toilet paper is readily available :-) Of course, we can all go for "Bounty Paper" if we believe that it's such a highly absorbent paper towel.

You get more bouts of blotting out of the heavy duty stuff. Also, it looks better to
have a piece of real blotter lying around your desk than a stack of TP sheets. Though,
if you do your blotting in the bathroom, nobody will know.

#5 thibaulthalpern

thibaulthalpern

Stop and See / 止觀

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,307 posts

Posted 04 September 2008 - 18:57

QUOTE (encephalartos @ Sep 3 2008, 05:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (thibaulthalpern @ Sep 3 2008, 12:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You get more bouts of blotting out of the heavy duty stuff. Also, it looks better to
have a piece of real blotter lying around your desk than a stack of TP sheets. Though,
if you do your blotting in the bathroom, nobody will know.

Sure, sure, but I do keep a toilet roll by my desk. I use it as regular napkins, as tissue paper, to wipe my fountain pen, anything. And it's cheap. :-)
m( _ _ )m (– , –) \ (^_^) /

#6 wvbeetlebug

wvbeetlebug

GO EERS!!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2008 - 00:37

Hi. My name is Cathy and I hoard paper napkins from fast food restaurants. (Straws too, but that's another topic.) These napkins make good blotters too. I keep them in my desk drawer at work.

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

#7 Shangas

Shangas

Sealing wax and other fancy stuff...

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,221 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:38

By the way DerMann,

I'm not sure what kind of paper-towels you use, but I've found that if I follow your steps (fold the paper in half twice, in my case, though), it is the perfect width for my rocker-blotter! I never knew this! Now I know I have the best paper for my blotter.
http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

#8 playpen

playpen

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,790 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 01:39

I have been using paper towels for a long time, to blot up extra ink. It makes for pretty paper towels. The only thing is....you can't reuse them.... headsmack.gif

Sponsored Content

|