Wasatch Front Pen Club report

Matt

Thanks to all who came to our gathering and shared your pen and inks. Below is a brief report.

We met last Friday evening (Feb 3rd) at my house. Including myself, we had five people show up, (including my nine year old son and John's 10 year old son—both already addicted to fps). The lack of numbers was more than made up with the hundreds of pens that showed up. We sampled a Nakaya, Danitrios, Omas, and dozens of other modern pens. My friend Walter brought his 100+ Esterbrooks in his collection as well as numerous early BHCR wet noodle vintage pens. Brian had a very impressive collection of vintage Italian pens as well as lots of beautiful Italian modern pens. Adam has an impresive collection of early Sheaffer flattop pens as well as some great moderns.

There was some trading and a purchase made. I finally got a blue Esterbrook J pen from Walter (traded for a Pelikan GO and an inexpensive Chinese fp). I also bought a Danitrio $27 pen from Adam. I had never seen a Danitrio pen in person before.

Between me and Adam we had more than 40 bottles of ink to try out.

It was great to see (and try out) so many pens that I have only seen in pictures. We all decided that we should make this a regular thing. Hopefully we can get a few more people out next time.

Matt C.

By the way, what do you others do at fountain pen club meetings?

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gerry

• Matt

Top Posters In This Topic

Sounds like a wonderful meeting Matt. Pertty much what I suspect everyone does at pen club meetings. :)

Here's the Agenda for our Feb meeting, which went pretty well, I think...

Gerry

Ottawa Fountain Pen Society

Tuesday February 7, 2006

Celebrating Stylophile’s Day

Dinner (Optional) – 6:00 pm Clock Tower, 422 MacKay (New Edinburgh)

AGENDA - February 7, 2006 – Knights of Columbus Hall, 7:30 pm

1. Introductions and Welcome

2. Meeting Plan – Review Agenda and adjust

3. Stylophile’s Day – Card Exchange (Second Annual)

Cake and Coffee (or your beverage from the bar) will be available.

4. Members’ Show and Tell – Roundtable (Might be deferred until March 7)

Members are invited to describe/show recent acquisitions or a pen story.

5. OFPS Business

5.1 Action Items from Previous Meeting – Review (Norm)

5.2 Gold Nib’s Report – financial summary and final call for annual dues ($10)

5.3 Advertising – ‘The Flier’ – distribution to pen stores - update

OFPS – business cards – Gerry Einarsson

6. Parker Canadian Operations – Part 2 – George Cornwall

7. Wahl and Eversharp Pens – Rocco Maso

8. Marketplace

9. Pen Repair Workshop – Parker Vacumatic – Diaphragm Replacement

10. Next Meetings

1. Tuesday March 7 – Rick Draffin OCS (Calligraphy and Penmanship).

2. Tuesday April 4 – Paper and Inks

3. Tuesday May 2 –

4. Tuesday June 6 -

11. Adjourn

January 31, 2006

The Stylophiles Card Exchange was structured as outlined below. Some very interesting and inventive approaches have been submitted this year, including one that included a poem penned to each individual recipient mentioning a pen known to be in the recipient's collection or a favorite, and if possible, written with one.

Gerry

Second Annual OFPS Card Exchange

Celebrating Stylophile’s Day (February First).

Proposal:

· A completely voluntary Card Exchange – the Second Annual;

· Each participant (volunteer) will prepare a card for each of the other participants in the exchange;

· Stylophile’s Day (February First) will be celebrated at the February meeting of the Ottawa Fountain Pen Society (Tue. Feb. 7, 2006);

· The cards will be exchanged as a part of the Stylophile’s Day celebration;

· OFPS members who wish to participate should sign up at the December ’05 or the January ’06 penchat meeting, or register as a participant with George Cornwall by January 13th (latest);

· George will distribute the list of names to all participants before January 16th;

· The members of the Ottawa Fountain Pen Society have declared February First as “Stylophile’s Day”.

Guidelines:

· The “cards” can be card-form or an unfolded sheet;

· Printed cards – either commercial or participant designed and printed are also acceptable;

· All cards will be embellished with handwritten messages or pictures. Any handwritten messages will be with pen and ink.

o ‘handwritten messages!’ - that’s the principal objective in the first place!

Pictures or sketches (if added) will be pen and ink where feasible; paint and brushes or markers are equally acceptable for the really artistic!

· Envelopes are required and can even be part of the work;

· The cards are to express:

o Happy Stylophile’s Day, and/or

o Bonne journée des stylophiles.

GMC: Dec. 3; Revised Jan. 4, 2006

Edited by Gerry