Daiso Mini

Bruno Taut

Could this pen be used as an eyedropper?

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bruno Taut

• Iridium

• Neill78

• tt32003

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very (much) like the Tesco Comfort Pen Reviewed by 'Have Fun' here: https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...showtopic=71860

Richard.

Richard,

I wanted to say something about that pen. That Tesco pen is the full size pen sold at Daiso stores in Japan. Actually, the sections of these two pens are interchangeable; in fact, they are identical.

In Japan, that full size pen comes in red and in black.

Lloyd said:

"Could this pen be used as an eyedropper?"

I think so. No visible holes on the barrel. The same approach for Platinum Preppys could work here--a gasket and some grease to avoid leaks.

The full size version (vid supra) does have a hole at the end of the barrel.

Bruno Taut - Crónicas Estilográficas (https://estilofilos.blogspot.com)

The contents and pictures of this post belong to the author, here identified as Bruno Taut.

Very nice review!

Is there a way to purchase these in the U.S.?

I know there is or was at least one Daiso store in the US, in Alderwood Mall near Seattle--but I haven't been to Seattle since 2006 and don't know if it's still there. (Did a little research--there are now four Daiso stores in Washington state and five in California, all in the Bay Area.)

Not sure if they sell this pen at the US locations, though.

cfclark

email cfclarktn at gmail dot com Twitter cfclark Facebook PM me

51 Flighter Fetishist

Could this pen be used as an eyedropper?

I haven't got this pen but I've got a couple others from Daiso. One is called "Ink Pen" and it looks like it could be converted into an eyedropper fairly easily with either a tiny o-ring or maybe some silicone grease, but I don't know how well the threads seal. According to the packaging and the nib, it's made by Sailor. The end of the barrel is clear plastic which would let you check ink levels somewhat. I'll try putting water in it to see what happens. I don't have a lot of confidence because the threads are quite large and widely spaced.

The other pen from Daiso has a rubbery coating on the barrel and seems to seal tightly so it would make an ideal eyedropper if it didn't have a hole in the end of the barrel. Doh!

Another potential eyedropper is the Tachikawa "School Pen" which is often sold in department stores' arts & crafts section (usually within the manga/drawing pens and utensils). It was 420 yen, so it's still within the bargain-basement range, and seems to have a following with the art crowd. It's got a super fine nib with no tipping, and seems extremely scratchy uninked. It may be possible to smooth it up a bit. The feed uses some kind of felt pad to deliver ink to the nib, so I question its longevity, and you'd probably have to stick with the same colour ink forever. But the barrel is made out of softer plastic and seals tightly, the section has 6 very fine threads, and the barrel is transparent on two sides, making it ideal for eyedropper use.

Personally eyedropper pens (especially the home-made kind) scare me.

Neill

• 3 weeks later...