New/NOS Reform 1745's -- German Quality, Unbeatable Price

JJBlanche

Original Reform 1745

German Piston Filler

100% New/NOS

Note: This thread is an update of older 1745 ads I had going. To read a lot of customer feedback, or to see what has changed between those ads and this one, click here and here. When ordering, be sure to reference information and prices contained in this ad.

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/4246/reformsinglebl0.jpg

http://img246.imageshack.us/img246/7673/piece1wt7.jpg

Note that the golden Reform badge in the photos is a removable sticker.

The Reform 1745 is a near mirror image of the Pelikan M120. It performs on the same level, is approximately the same size, and has the same aesthetic motif. All this, yet the 1745 commands a dramatically lower price.

Pelikan M120 shown below, alongside a 1745 for reference.

http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/9739/17451202mc0.jpg

The Reform 1745 is a prudent choice. It blends value with performance, appealing to the uninitiated and experienced alike.

Regarding line width/nib gauge: 1745 nibs generally fall between fine and medium-fine. The tuning service I offer (listed below), can help you to get the nib width, wetness, and smoothness you desire.

For the sake of clarity, these Reforms are 100% new/NOS/never used, sealed in the factory boxes, and removed only when orders are being filled. They are available now, and shipped from within the continental USA for speed and security.

Price: 1 pen = $7.75; 2-4 pens = $7.50 each; 5-10 pens = $7.25 each; 11 to 23 pens = $7.00 each; Sealed Factory Boxes of 24 = $165 (≈ $6.85 each)

≈≈Tuning Service≈≈

http://img258.imageshack.us/img258/7483/tuninglu4.jpg

Although these are great pens right out of the box, some nibs can be a bit dry or scratchy. They’ve also been sitting for a number of years (hence, “new old stock”), and are stiff in a few areas (namely, the piston and feed). Some can overlook these shortcomings, but others demand only top performance. For them, I offer a tuning service.

Through much research and subsequent experience, I’ve become quite the effective Reform tuner. I can take the most finicky 1745 and turn it into a writer anyone can appreciate. I use only the best materials and tools.

With tuning, the ultimate goal is to provide a pen that writes, flows, and functions well (ie: the pen is “tuned up”). Note that this is not a full regrinding. For example, I cannot take a stock Reform nib and turn it into a cursive italic. Although this is possible, it would require retipping of the pen, as the iridium material is ground off when making such drastic changes. I do not have the facilities to retip. Indeed, even Richard Binder outsources his retipping.

That said, you can provide me with basic requirements (ie: wet fine), which I can use as the foundation for your tuning. I can customize flow to whatever you’d like, but nib gauge is limited by what I start with (again, I’m only smoothing the nib, I’m not regrinding it). Feel free to request width’s between extra fine and medium. Nine times out of ten, I am able to match your requirements, but understand that I cannot give a 100% guarantee on nib gauge.

When tuning a 1745, I proceed in the following fashion:
The nib/feed assembly is removed and soaked in reverse osmosis/deionized water to remove storage wax/oils.A minute amount of silicon grease is added to the piston mechanism to smooth it up.The nib is returned to the pen, the pen is flushed with RO/DI water several times, and filled with ink. It is allowed to sit, inked, giving the ebonite feed enough time to absorb liquid and become supple after years of storage.Flow, smoothness, and consistency are evaluated and adjusted, to the point where a pleasant and consistent writing experience is achieved.The pen is subsequently allowed to sit for several hours, inked, to verify that the modifications "took" and that there are no leaks or other issues.After a final testing, the pen is thoroughly cleaned with RO/DI water, allowed to dry, and shipped off to its new owner, ready to write for a lifetime.As is apparent, this is not a quick once-over. I strive to ensure that every pen I tune meets the exacting standards of its future owner.

Price: $7 per pen

Shipping

Your pens are shipped in sturdy shipping tubes and bubble wrap. Shipping is $3.00 within the continental US, up to four pens. For every pen after four, factor in an additional $0.10 per pen. Insurance and other services are optional, and quoted upon request.

International shipping begins at $5.00 to most locations.

Given the number of orders I receive, I have started shipping twice per week. Transportation costs being what they are, and considering that I have other responsibilities beyond my 1745 duties, shipping every day or every other day is not a practical reality. Rest assured that your pens will be shipped out as quickly as possible.

Ordering Process

I deal only with active members who have five or more posts.

Money orders are accepted (sorry, no checks). My preferred payment method is via PayPal. If you'd like to order, please send a private message, with your PayPal email address mentioned in the body. Also reply to this thread with a "PM sent" post, in the event that the PM system does not deliver the message, and/or my inbox is full and cannot process incoming mail.

For a number of reasons, it’s easier for me to send a PayPal invoice as opposed to receiving payment direct, which is why I request the PayPal email address. Once the invoice is sent, the pen is effectively held for 24 hours. If, in 24 hours, the invoice hasn't been paid, it will be canceled and I will send an invoice to the next buyer in line.

Should you have any questions, don't hesitate to drop me a line.

**A Note Regarding Ink**

Readers of my previous ads may notice that the free ink section is missing this time around. Unfortunately, giving away free ink with the 1745’s is no longer an economic possibility.

For clarity, the free ink program is no more. There are no plans at this time to get it going again. Please refrain from requesting ink with your 1745, as I have neither the ink, nor the vials to send it in.

Regards,

JJ
Edited by JJBlanche

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• JJBlanche

• AKMA

• GreenVelvet

• MrRogers

JJ,

Just so I understand. It is $7 for one pen, and an additional $7 for your tuning service?

Sounds like a pretty good deal.

Matt C.

Matt:

The base price of the pens are as follows:

1 pen = $7.75; 2-4 pens = $7.50 each; 5-10 pens = $7.25 each; 11 to 23 pens = $7.00 each; Sealed Factory Boxes of 24 = $165 (≈ $6.85 each)

Tuning is a flat $7 per pen. So, for example, one tuned pen would cost $14.75. Three tuned pens would cost $14.50 each, etc.

-JJ

Edited by JJBlanche

Folks, I got mine today and I don't know where else you're going to find a German-made

piston fill fountain pen for this price. The pen came packaged "bomb-proof" and even

included a two page tutorial from JJ giving usage instructions and troubleshooting tips.

Go for it.

Craig :D

None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try. - Mark Twain

To anyone on the fence about these 1745's:

I ordered two of these from JJ about a week ago. One is for me, the other is for a friend who is just getting introduced to fountain pens. Received them yesterday -- great writers! His tuning process really works. I think it will make a good enough impression on my friend that he'll be hooked, too. The piston action is smooth, they both started right away after inking, and no scratchiness. I have only good things to say about the pens and the tuning service.

-Harry

Edited by hpenner

I'm glad everyone is pleased with their pens. They make excellent writers, and are truly unbeatable at this price (even at triple the price).

There are still a good number of these left, but the end is on the horizon. In other words, the 1745's won't be around forever, and aren't coming from a bottomless supply. If you've had the 1745 eyed up for a while, but haven't gotten around to ordering, now is a good time.

-JJ

Hi Folks,

I got mine the other day. A decent writer and smooth piston. Well worth it. Already ordered my second one. But please be patient with the mail. Mine was sent August 1 and I received it August 25, and I only live 45-60 minutes away from the seller. Whatcha you gonna do with bureaucracy!

What is the barrel width (in mm) of the 1745? I'm really interested, but a bit concerned they might be too small for me. I like Parker 45s and the old Montblanc Noblesse width, but a regular Hero 616 feels too small for me. Where does the 1745 fall? In the photos, it does look thinner than the P120.

<i>"Most people go through life using up half their energy trying to protect a dignity they never had."</i><br>-Marlowe, in <i>The Long Goodbye</i>

The barrel diameter is approximately 10mm (or, the about the width of two standard pencils/bic pens placed side by side).