Welcome to the Sheaffer Forum!

PenHero

I got my 1st Sheaffer in Richmond, Va. in 1973. It cost $5.00 American. I still use it regularly. Never had a minute's trouble with it.

Don't start vast projects with half-vast ideas.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rafizip

• jar

• Don C

• gweimer1

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My first Sheaffer was a freebie when someone cleared their desk. It's a burgundy Lifetime and the only pen I have engraved with someone's name. It still writes like a dream. I've aquired a working Valiant, a Prelude, and a silver Imperial years later. Then a few years ago I was lucky enough to get a Sheaffer Legacy Heritage in black lacquer with a polished palladium cap with gold plate trim. It is still my favorite pen. I've aquired some great pens lately but my Legacy is still my workhorse EDC. It will always write no matter what. I have a soft spot in my heart for my Sheaffers.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, this looks like an Admiral with e TouchDown nib? Is that correct? The nib has '79' and 'Lifetime' written on it. The body has the usual Scheaffer information and the cost which was 875. It arrived in a PFM box but I do not know if that was the original box.

15860076781_cd3f6855e0.jpg

I have been trying to remove the nib section so I may repair it but that has not been successful yet. It should unscrew but that is not happening even after soaking and heating. Any thoughts?

I love the Sheaffer pens and have worked on some and have more to waiting for attention.

Jon

My first Sheaffer was also the first fountain pen I bought some few months ago. It is a Sheaffer Jr. and a very good writer. There was not a lot of nib left so I had some work done and it's more of a stub; works great. Since then I have restored three and brought them back to working condition.

I started using fountain pens 29 years ago but was only today that I finally bought my first Sheaffer - a 300 in iridescent red, medium nib from Websters Pen Shop (UK).

It's smoother than the modern Parkers I've used. I prefer the width, weight and finish the Cross pens I've had. I much prefer the width to the Waterman (Hemisphere) I've got.

This leads me to conclude that of the 'big 3', Sheaffer could well be my favourite brand.

post-118403-0-16859200-1417190335_thumb.jpg

Help! Have been using my Sheaffer Snorkel for a few months with no issues until yesterday; went to refill the pen and now the snorkel will not retract, in fact the end won't turn. This occurred one other time when the nib was loose and by tightening the nib the snorkel retracted. This time the nib is snug.

Any suggestions before I ship it to the pen "doctor"?

• 10 months later...

I have been using fountain pens off and on for 34 yrs. I got my first serious fountain pen in 1983 while I was in graduate school, a Parker 75, Thuya. For the last year and a half I have been using a Sheaffer No-Nonsense. I also have a Sheaffer jade Lifetime FlatTop from about 1927. I haven't inked it yet. While I enjoyed the Parker, I really like the feel and look of a large Sheaffer flattop.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

This is my favourite Shaeffer. It looks like a Touchdown, but if it's not, I'd be grateful for any help identifying it. My dad used to work for Dan-Air in the 1960s and on one occasion they flew him to the USA for something or other and I believe he picked this pen up in, I think, New York in 1966. He bought another - gold electroplated I think - but that one ended up with my brother. It's a lovely pen and I wrote some of my best essays during my undergraduate time using this pen.

Edit: Thanks to FPN, I think I can tentatively identify this as an Imperial VI, and my brother's rather gorgeous fluted gold pen as an Imperial 777.

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww57/Parsnips_from_Beyond_the_Stars/Touchdown-2.jpg

http://i705.photobucket.com/albums/ww57/Parsnips_from_Beyond_the_Stars/Touchdown-1.jpg

Edited by DKR

On my second year with my one and only Sheaffer (a Snorkel); it is one of my favorites, so this year during the holiday break I think I will buy number 2. Any suggestions out there?

• 1 month later...

Hi, been lurking here for a while but decided to join. Such a helpful place. My first Sheaffer I "borrowed" off my dad when I was a teenager, and used for everything. It was my lucky exam pen through university. I was devastated when I lost it about 20 years later. Which led me to try and find a replacement on eBay. And that was the when the trouble started. I can't resist the inlaid nib.

Now write mostly with a nice wet chrome Triumph.

13482592604_b5392b64fe_c.jpg

Hi, been lurking here for a while but decided to join. Such a helpful place. My first Sheaffer I "borrowed" off my dad when I was a teenager, and used for everything. It was my lucky exam pen through university. I was devastated when I lost it about 20 years later. Which led me to try and find a replacement on eBay. And that was the when the trouble started. I can't resist the inlaid nib.

Now write mostly with a nice wet chrome Triumph.

13482592604_b5392b64fe_c.jpg

Welcome to the group; I feel that I am much more educated about fountain pens since I joined the forum. Enjoy

• 4 weeks later...

I started using fountain pens 29 years ago but was only today that I finally bought my first Sheaffer - a 300 in iridescent red, medium nib from Websters Pen Shop (UK).

It's smoother than the modern Parkers I've used. I prefer the width, weight and finish the Cross pens I've had. I much prefer the width to the Waterman (Hemisphere) I've got.

This leads me to conclude that of the 'big 3', Sheaffer could well be my favourite brand.

That is a great looking pen. I think I need to consider adding a new Sheaffer to the collection. Thanks for sharing

• 3 months later...

Hi all....I need a PFM sac protector and feeding tube or a PFM for parts. If you can please tell me were I can find one send me the info to dlr@coqui.net. Best, Daniel

Hi all....I need a PFM sac protector and feeding tube or a PFM for parts. If you can please tell me were I can find one send me the info to dlr@coqui.net. Best, Daniel

First, welcome home. For PFM repair supplies I usually start at David Nishimura's site.

My Website

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, this looks like an Admiral with e TouchDown nib? Is that correct? The nib has '79' and 'Lifetime' written on it. The body has the usual Scheaffer information and the cost which was 875. It arrived in a PFM box but I do not know if that was the original box.

15860076781_cd3f6855e0.jpg

I have been trying to remove the nib section so I may repair it but that has not been successful yet. It should unscrew but that is not happening even after soaking and heating. Any thoughts?

I love the Sheaffer pens and have worked on some and have more to waiting for attention.

Jon

Looks to be Sheaffer Triumph Sovereign ii fountain pen 875, carmine striated. Look here:

http://www.peytonstreetpens.com/sheaffer-triumph-sovereign-ii-fountain-pen-875-carmine-striated-fine-superior-restored.html

Khan M. Ilyas

• 1 year later...

Hi Everyone - I am Sarandipity

I have been a member for a while but due to ill health shortly after, I wasn't able to participate as I would have wished. A bit of my background. I worked for Sheaffer Pen for 21 years in the corporate division. Which basically means I organised the logos of companies to be attached (as clip emblems - die struck and silk screened) - lazer engraving and printing. This was during the mid 1970 and 1980s. During the latter part of the 1980s the company was joined by others - Cross Pens - Sailor Pen of Japan .

I hope I may be of help with identification of penware especially the years mentioned above.

I have always loved pens: My first was a Conway Stewart , it was fabulous and took me through most of school years. Unfortunately it was stolen from me some years ago. After that I used Sheaffer Pens and was lucky enough to work for them.

See you in the forum. Sarandipity

Edited by Sarandipity

• 11 months later...

Hello forum members:

After a few year's hiatus, I decided to get back into our hobby and join your esteemed group.

I learned to write at school with pencil, and with the teacher's approval we graduated to using a fountain pen. My uncle gifted me my first fp, a Sheaffer school pen! I love Sheaffer's because it was my first pen, they developed the lever-filler, were one of the first to use plastics, first designed torpedo-shaped pens, and introduced many other innovations.

I only collect Sheaffer Oversize Balance pens. My wife doesn't know how many I have exactly because "they all look the same". So I have a "few" and am looking to finish my collection with a few rare finds...and I found a rare one at the Chicago Pen Show!

Pedro

Looking for interesting Sheaffer OS Balance pens

...and I found a rare one at the Chicago Pen Show!

Well, let's see it! :P

The first pen I bought for myself when I left school (1983) was a Targa. I have used it ever since. Recently, after picking up a standard vac-fill balance, I now find myself looking for an oversize one; unfortunately, they seem tough to come by.

Vintage. Cursive italic. Iron gall.

• 2 months later...

Hello there and thanks to penhero for his great photography. My interest in fountain pens came from losing one... so sad to lose the snorkel that I used through college given to me by my grandfather who had saved it in like new condition from the 1950s. (I bought another but it was not working so sat in a drawer until I saw how to bring it back... I have more pens than I need now maybe but so fun)

Regards, Glen