Lobbying for new Noodler's bulletproof purple!

kookychick

So, as many of you know, I've become utterly obsessed with Noodler's bulletproof inks. On a complete whim, I PM'd Nathan, begging for a bulletproof true purple. I have several Noodler's bulletproof violet/purples, and while I love many of them and will continue to use them, all of the existing colors are too red/magenta/blue to be my perfect dream purple.

I never expected to hear from him--I just thought I'd put in my plea. Within 4 hours, he responded! :D

So, here's the deal. Nathan was very gracious and is willing to make a new bulletproof purple, in 1 oz. bottles (though perhaps if there is enough demand, 3 oz. bottles might eventually become available). Pricing will be "within the median range of inks."

One of Nathan's ideas include "a radical combination of the most durable and brilliant 1940s ink technology/materials...with the durability of the 1990s-2000s" with intense contrast and an unusual ink profile. It's possible that it might stain some pens, like the Baystate series, but it sounds like the ink would be amazing! :)

I suggested an electric purple that jumps off the page--kinda like the purple version of Rachmaninov. He's open to giving it a try! Even if it's not electric, a nice, bulletproof purpley purple would be beyond my wildest fantasies! :wub:

Is anyone else interested? If so, please, please, please email Luxury Brands (the North American distributor): info@lux-brands.com. If 20 people email them, Nathan said "then it will happen."

He's also looking for ideas for the label. Personally, I would love to see something that continues the "royal" theme of La Couleur Royale and The Color of the King. I'd love for this ink to be named after Marie Antoinette, though. According to this book, Marie Antoinette loved royal purple, even though that didn't endear her to her subjects. Any other thoughts on a theme or a name? I've always been impressed with the collective wit of FPN--now's your chance to shine! :D

Anyway, if this ink sounds like it might be interesting to you, PLEASE email info@lux-brands.com! I'd also appreciate a PM or post, so I can see if we reach the threshold. Please help make my dream (and perhaps yours?) a reality! Thanks! :)

Inks currently in pens: Noodler's La Reine Mauve, Rachmaninov, Prime of the Commons Blue-Black, Naval Orange, MN Whaleman's Sepia, Verdun Green, Majestic Orange; J. Herbin Violette Pensée, Rose Cyclamen, Orange Indien

Blog Twitter Facebook

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• kiavonne

• kookychick

• Deirdre

• GardenWeasel

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So, as many of you know, I've become utterly obsessed with Noodler's bulletproof inks. On a complete whim, I PM'd Nathan, begging for a bulletproof true purple. I have several Noodler's bulletproof violet/purples, and while I love many of them and will continue to use them, all of the existing colors are too red/magenta/blue to be my perfect dream purple.

I never expected to hear from him--I just thought I'd put in my plea. Within 4 hours, he responded! :D

So, here's the deal. Nathan was very gracious and is willing to make a new bulletproof purple, in 1 oz. bottles (though perhaps if there is enough demand, 3 oz. bottles might eventually become available). Pricing will be "within the median range of inks."

One of Nathan's ideas include "a radical combination of the most durable and brilliant 1940s ink technology/materials...with the durability of the 1990s-2000s" with intense contrast and an unusual ink profile. It's possible that it might stain some pens, like the Baystate series, but it sounds like the ink would be amazing! :)

I suggested an electric purple that jumps off the page--kinda like the purple version of Rachmaninov. He's open to giving it a try! Even if it's not electric, a nice, bulletproof purpley purple would be beyond my wildest fantasies! :wub:

Is anyone else interested? If so, please, please, please email Luxury Brands (the North American distributor): info@lux-brands.com. If 20 people email them, Nathan said "then it will happen."

He's also looking for ideas for the label. Personally, I would love to see something that continues the "royal" theme of La Couleur Royale and The Color of the King. I'd love for this ink to be named after Marie Antoinette, though. According to this book, Marie Antoinette loved royal purple, even though that didn't endear her to her subjects. Any other thoughts on a theme or a name? I've always been impressed with the collective wit of FPN--now's your chance to shine! :D

Anyway, if this ink sounds like it might be interesting to you, PLEASE email info@lux-brands.com! I'd also appreciate a PM or post, so I can see if we reach the threshold. Please help make my dream (and perhaps yours?) a reality! Thanks! :)

I'm all for the 1940's everything-and-the-kitchen-sink ink. I'd prefer a purply purple over electric (I'm not real there on the Russian colors). Yeah, I'll email. :)

A deep Royal Purple bulletproof would work for me.

Edited by kiavonne

Scribere est agere.

To write is to act.

Danitrio Fellowship

I'd love for this ink to be named after Marie Antoinette, though. According to this book, Marie Antoinette loved royal purple, even though that didn't endear her to her subjects. Any other thoughts on a theme or a name? I've always been impressed with the collective wit of FPN--now's your chance to shine! :D

I'm definitely interested in this ink as well :D And as for a name, and, feel free to veto, but how about 'Noodler's Trianon?' I mean, it's kind of an oblique reference (no fountain pen-related puns intended) to her, but that was certainly one of her favorite places as queen. Also, I just like the sound of it. And, anyway, it sounds better than 'Noodler's The Diamond Necklace Affair.' :ltcapd:

Edited to note: I emailed Noodler's. I hope to buy this ink soon!

Edited by tisfortorrey

"Voici mon secret. Il est très simple: on ne voit bien qu'avec le coeur. L'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." - Le Petit Prince

Follow me on Twitter!

Great idea! Even if it's not electric, I could go with a bulletproof Wampum. I adore that color.

And I'd nominate Madame de Pompadour as the ink name. Her surname was Poisson, so it's a perfect match with the Noodler's icon. :D

Marie Antoinette would be fine, too.

(Email sent.)

"He was born with the gift of laughter and a sense that the world was mad." - Scaramouche by Rafael Sabatini

The darker, the better ... and legible, it should be. An ink shouldn't hurt your eyes when reading, so "electric" may be too tiresome.

The darker, the better ... and legible, it should be. An ink shouldn't hurt your eyes when reading, so "electric" may be too tiresome.

I'm looking for a purple black, like a purple Zhivago -- not electric and more on the blue side than the red burgundy-ish side, and water-resistant.

http://img356.imageshack.us/img356/8703/letterminizk9.png

Yeah, something noticeably purple but not eyepopping. The only purple I have right now is Pelikan Violet, and I'd like something a little bit darker and, if possible, with more depth than that, though the color itself I like.

Ooooh! A nice dark purple would be nice. Something like that and waterproof would be great for anything I send to my sister!

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

My choice of name for the new ink would be Noodler's Tyrian Purple, because this very expensive colour was famed throughout the ancient world and the name was redolent of great opulence and majesty. Somehow fitting for the French royal court also, maybe.

Coming back down to ground, I'll happily send an e-mail too!

Good luck with the mission,

Thomas

I love bulletproof inks. Purple's great. Eggplant ... not so much. I'll send the email now.

Time flies like an arrow;

Fruit flies like a banana.

---- Groucho Marx

I have been getting on with Noodler's "Iraqi Indigo" pretty well, though a new waterproof purple would suit me just fine. Like some of the others, I would prefer a purply purple over an electric color. The MB Lavender is a rich black/purple that I really like. With waterproof chacteristics, it would be a great ink.

I very much like the idea of introducing an ancient theme to the name of a royal purple ink. Byzantium was known as a source of royal purple dyes and purple trade goods for centuries. "Byzantine Purple" sounds good to me, but I have no problem with the "Tyrian Purple" idea.

Edited: I have sent my e-mail supporting this idea.

Edited by FrankB

The MB Lavender is a rich black/purple that I really like. With waterproof chacteristics, it would be a great ink.

I find this ink does have very good water-resistance (not water-proof but still quite good).

"Anyone who lives within their means suffers from a lack of imagination."

Oscar Wilde

Sent an email committing to 5 bottles. I don't care how bright it is, as long as it's not muddy.

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

You guys are the best!! :wub: The ideas both about the color and label/name are great--keep 'em coming! Let's have more people weigh in, then I'll set up a poll to try and quantify people's thoughts a bit.

Please continue to email the distributor (info@lux-brands.com), everyone! With your help, this ink must be getting closer to becoming a reality! :D Thanks to all who already emailed them! :thumbup:

Inks currently in pens: Noodler's La Reine Mauve, Rachmaninov, Prime of the Commons Blue-Black, Naval Orange, MN Whaleman's Sepia, Verdun Green, Majestic Orange; J. Herbin Violette Pensée, Rose Cyclamen, Orange Indien

Blog Twitter Facebook

I've done my part.

I like Thomas's idea for the Tyrian Purple name.

Give me three weeks...samples to follow -

I was thinking of a cute opossum interacting with an amused giant catfish looking up at him from a large twilight pool of partially moonlit water. A night themed ink in tune with a dark and rich purple...one that could be used in business as easily as any blue-black, black, etc...and with an extremely high durability similar to that of Noodler's Black. Is that on the right track? Seems to be 7 out of 10 right now are in that direction. Let me know if you disagree. Not sure of a name, but I have the image of the artwork in my head already and it is certainly another catfish. ;-)

As to the French Queen - I dislike her personally...I guess I would have been with the revolutionaries back then. There is something very un-American in monarchies. No meritocracy at all exists there. There is no reason or enlightenment in a monarchy. "The Queen uses this ink, so it therefore must be the best." is one of the worst phrases I have seen on this board. A label with a Queen would likely show some ridiculous expression on her face or perhaps an ink accident staining her cheek with her being cross eyed.

Well, the main ship upon which the Boston Tea Party took place...was named after the same town Noodler's is in and was owned by a local resident. The King and Queen, monarchy in general...it's somewhat amusing to mock (such as Louis XIV's wig!). It is a tradition that goes back quite a long time. ;-)

Edited by Eternally Noodling

"The pen is mightier than the sword."

The pen could be mightier than the thief and the gun if it is filled with a bulletproof ink too!

May be available again soon, I hope...but not at the moment:

Specialty Fountain Pen Nibs - click here

I was thinking of a cute opossum interacting with an amused giant catfish looking up at him from a large twilight pool of partially moonlit water. A night themed ink in tune with a dark and rich purple...one that could be used in business as easily as any blue-black, black, etc...and with an extremely high durability similar to that of Noodler's Black. Is that on the right track? Seems to be 7 out of 10 right now are in that direction. Let me know if you disagree.

Ooh, that sounds lovely. Hmm, maybe 5 bottles wouldn't be enough.... :)

deirdre.net

"Heck we fed a thousand dollar pen to a chicken because we could." -- FarmBoy, about Pen Posse

Give me three weeks...samples to follow -

I was thinking of a cute opossum interacting with an amused giant catfish looking up at him from a large twilight pool of partially moonlit water. A night themed ink in tune with a dark and rich purple...one that could be used in business as easily as any blue-black, black, etc...and with an extremely high durability similar to that of Noodler's Black. Is that on the right track? Seems to be 7 out of 10 right now are in that direction. Let me know if you disagree.

A 'possum? Just might work.