New nibs; they won't work

mynaardt

Hi!

I've been trying to get into using some new fountain pens.

However, I'm getting frustrated because they won't work! I've gotten 10-15 pages of writing out of three different nib and they all just stop writing as if they've run out of in, even though there was lots. I bought some "Rapido-Eze" cleaning solution after talking to a stationery store clerk who said it was probably just a bit dirty. Well, after soaking the nib for 2 hours, rinsing it out as per the directions and then letting the nib dry out overnight, I got one whole line of writing before this nib stopped working; again.

I have two other nibs of medium width as well. Same thing so far. They worked just fine for 10-15 pages and then wouldn't write anything at all.

I've soaked all three nibs in this "Rapido-Eze" and am waiting for them to dry out.

But could someone please tell me what on earth I could be doing wrong? I'm not pressing hard (I got these pens so I wouldn't have to press hard). I can see one nib out of the three being a problem, but not all three so soon after I started using them. I tried them on the "Moleskin" notebook paper, and regular writing paper and same result for all three; start whell and then they just abrubtly stop putting out ink, even with a newly insterted (full) resevoir.

This is quite annoying, because these three pens together cost about $80 and I'm not too pleased to spend that much money on pens that won't work.

Thanks...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shangas

• blak000

• mynaardt

• troglokev

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Please tell us what model the pens are. That will give us a better idea of how to help you. Some pen brands are known for being very consistent in quality, while others are less... reliable. What type of store did you buy it in?

It would also help if you could tell us about the type of inks you're using. Brand? Color? Are you sure you're using fountain pen ink? If you're using bottled ink that is not designed for fountain pens, it can clog your pens very quickly. Also, each fountain pen ink has its own consistency and flow. Some inks work pretty much in every pen, while others are very picky.

As for writing with fountain pens: how long have you been using them? Are you sure you're using the correct level of pressure, which is none at all?

Give us as many details as possible surrounding your usage of these pens, and someone might be able to give you some helpful advice.

An empty can usually makes the loudest noise.

With a dip-pen you'd strike a match and hold it under the nib...wouldn't suggest you do that here!! :lol:

There are several reasons why a pen won't write...

The tines of the nib may be too close together.

The nib may be dirty.

You might be pressing too hard, which would force the tines apart, and thus destroy the capilliary-action that gets ink to the pen-point.

The ink you're using may not be suitable.

You could be writing on waxed-paper (which is a pain in the tuchus for fountain-pens and their inks).

Give us all details of the pen/s, nib/s and the ink/s that you're using and we shall perform a diagnosis.

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

Hii again:

Okay, the ink I'm using is J. Herbin Ink.

One of the three nibs I've got is by "rotring" of germany and the other two both are "Iridium Point" of Germany.

I know I'm not pressing hard. I'm barely applying pressure.

Nor was I using waxed paper. I was writing in a Moleskin journal notebook and also on a few sheets of regular paper, not waxed, but just regular run of the mill paper for writing letters.

All three worked just fine, initially, on both kinds of paper I used. But then all three stopped working entirely after about 15 pages, if that, even though they had full ink resevoirs. The rotring one actually stopped working less than a page after I'd put a new ink cartridge in it.

And after soaking the finer of the two Iridium Point nibs in 'Rapido-Eze', rinsing it out with lukewarm water as directed, and then letting it dry overnight, I didn't get so much as one full line after I put a new ink cartidge in it.

So I'm a bit miffed after spending about $80 on three lovely looking pens that won't write. I can't see how I could possibly have bought three defective pen nibs in a row either...

After 15 pages the pens probably just ran out of ink!

But, if they didn't, then I think what they need is a cleaning. Empty the pens of ink and refill & empty the pens with cold tapwater several times. Shake them dry and then let them dry naturally. Once they're dry, refill with ink and try again.

If it doesn't work, then perhaps you need to spread the tines a bit to improve ink-flow. I'll let others show you how to do that. It can be done, but it can be risky...and extremely messy!

http://www.throughouthistory.com/ - My Blog on History & Antiques

Hmm... Rotrings are usually fine, but I haven't read good things about those IPG nibs.

You might want to get the Rotring sent off to get adjusted. As for the IPG's... I'd recommend staying away from those in future purchases. I haven't owned any personally, but I've seen more than a couple posts ranting about how cheaply made those nibs are. If I were in your shoes, I'd try returning the pens. Just my opinion, of course.

Search around the forums, and you should come across some brands that some would consider more reputable and reliable.

Off the top of my head, I'd recommend Pilot, Sailor, Pelikan, and Lamy. I you want something cheap and reliable, try a Lamy Safari or a Pilot Custom 78G. Both of them are pretty well liked around here. Vintage pens are also a good choice (Parker or Sheaffer).

I'm sorry that your pens are giving you so much trouble. Hope you can get that resolved.

An empty can usually makes the loudest noise.

First try the cleaning suggested above. If that doesn't work, more drastic measures may be required. :ninja: (We really need that Snidely Whiplash emoticon)

Do this with the IPGs first...

There are instructions for nib tuning at Arthur Twydle's site and John Mottishaw's site. I've had success with this, but I urge a cautious approach. There's more information over on the Repair Reference Information page.

Edited by troglokev

Your ink and paper are both okay, even good. So it has to be the pen. Likely the nib. Or put better, the adjustment of the flow. This can even happen with expensive pens like MB or with good pens like Pelikan.

Therefore, if you really want to avoid this problem, there are only 2 ways to combat it.

(1) Buy the thing only after you have filled the pen and then write for a half an hour. Tell them in the store that you NEED that to check this out. Very important: don't just dip the pen for a sec and then write for one min. That won't do.

(2) Take the pen back to where you bought it, explain at length, and get it tuned by the manufacturer.

All best wishes.

Mike :thumbup:

Life is too short to drink bad wine (Goethe)

Sometimes the problem has to do with the feed and the cartridge or converter, rather that the nib. Try emptying the ink, then with the converter attached to the nib/feed, flush it with warm water to which a tiny bit of dish soap has been added. Do this a few times, than repeat with clean water until you are confident the soap is gone. Refill with ink and see what happens.

I had a similar problem with one of my pens, which I cured by making my own bulb filler mechanism---just cut a cartridge in two, then used the bottom third for the base, and fastened a clear silicone pen sac to it. No more flow problems. There must be something about the way ink interacts with plastics used for carts or converters that makes them balky in some pens.

Dan

"Life is like an analogy" -Anon-

http://i98.photobucket.com/albums/l279/T-Caster/DSC_0334_2.jpg

Sometimes the problem has to do with the feed and the cartridge or converter, rather that the nib. Try emptying the ink, then with the converter attached to the nib/feed, flush it with warm water to which a tiny bit of dish soap has been added. Do this a few times, than repeat with clean water until you are confident the soap is gone. Refill with ink and see what happens.

I had a similar problem with one of my pens, which I cured by making my own bulb filler mechanism---just cut a cartridge in two, then used the bottom third for the base, and fastened a clear silicone pen sac to it. No more flow problems. There must be something about the way ink interacts with plastics used for carts or converters that makes them balky in some pens.

Dan

Another way to accomplish this, with minimum customization, is to purchase an ear syringe at the drugstore. It is a squeeze bulb, intended to extract excessive ear wax from ear canals, but is just the right size to fit over a cartridge/converter nipple, providing a HUGE bulb for intake and expulsion of water or other fluids used to flush a pen. Cost, under $3. Nicely flowing pen after using it, priceless.

Donnie

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.
Edmund Burke (1729 - 1797)

Hi!

I've been trying to get into using some new fountain pens.

This is quite annoying, because these three pens together cost about $80 and I'm not too pleased to spend that much money on pens that won't work.

Thanks...

It sounds like you got the traditional modern pen lemons (more showing each day as the quality of the present pens is slightly higher than worst). I would say pack them back up and reqest a replacement from the store. If that works not send back to company. the pen companies should stand behind the bad pens they produce.