The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Conway Stewart "100"

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 921 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 02:42

This is a review of the Conway Stewart “100” number 15 of 471 in quartz blue with a medium nib. The “100” is available as either a cartridge/converter filler or a “twist fill”, which I suppose means captive converter. Mine uses the twist fill mechanism. Filling the pen requires removing the blind cap, which reveals a gold plated knob labeled + in one direction and – in another. No doubt this is the end of the captive converter. I’m not a fan of the captive converter mechanism but at least this one seems to hold a lot of ink and is elegantly implemented. My apologies to Conway Stewart if this pen is a true piston filler rather than a lesser captive converter. Regardless, there is no way to check the ink level in this pen.

IMG_1341_2.jpg

A deceptively large pen, the “100” sits well in the hand and is best balanced unposted due to its low weight. The flecked blue acrylic (plastic) is one of the nicest modern plastics that I’ve seen and it really catches sunlight well. The material is almost vintage in color intensity, luster, and light catching ability with a distinctively modern feel and weight. Modern plastics keep getting better. Some have complained about the black cap jewel but this pen was designed to, and does, closely resemble a vintage Conway Stewart “58” lever-filler. Too bad this one does not feed by lever but it does have honest to goodness vintage good looks. The combination of size, weight, and nib performance make this a great writer suitable for long sessions. The construction is robust and the fit and finish is superb. There is a crisp, clean imprint (probably laser etched) and the wide 18 ct. cap band is hallmarked. The clip is a near exact copy of the vintage pen and is strong allowing for secure, well, clipping. Packaging is typical Conway Stewart. That is, nearly opulent and a tad excessive.

IMG_1347_2.jpg

Evidently, the “100” shares the same nib with the CS Churchill although it feels slightly different on the “100”. It is smoother, which is notable since it is a medium and my Churchill has broad, and seems to be a little bit more flexy. A little bit of pressure doubles the line width produced by this pen. When compared to almost all other pens, I believe this nib qualifies as flexible although it is far from a wet noodle. Indeed, the nib the greatest strength of this pen (should this always be true?). It is smooth at a large variety of angles and never catches the paper no matter which direction the nib is moved. Ink delivery is no problem with this pen even after a day or two of inactivity. The feed supplies so much ink that this pen is definitely a wet writer, which no doubt contributes to its smoothness.

IMG_1352_2.jpg

So is this expensive pen worth the price of admission? Even at typical discounted online or brick and mortar prices the cost is well north of $350. Overall, I’d say it is. Quality is first rate and the nib is sumptuous. Those, like me, who collect and admire vintage pens will find a lot to like about this modern pen. If you can, always test before you buy and you might just find a one with a nib as great as the one on my pen.

Sponsored Content

#2 lovemy51

lovemy51

legal? of course... and with all my papers. FP-friendly, mostly

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,628 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 08:17

thanx for your review. i don't own a CS... if only they weren't that expensive!!!... for my pocket, anyways. some day i hope to own a CS 100 casein
thumbup.gif

Edited by lovemy51, 18 August 2008 - 08:19.

#3 andyk

andyk

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,618 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2008 - 09:16

Hi,

Nice review, I also have a CS100 in Peppered White with the twist fill, mine was a gift, a nice looking pen that writes very well.

$350 looks a good price as in the UK the retail price is £335 and even on ebay on teh rare occasions they turn up they go for around £200 or so.

Andy

#4 QM2

QM2

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 10:28

Nice review and I am glad you are enjoying the pen! My husband has a CS Icon 100 in sterling silver, which I got for him as a gift last year. The nib is wonderful, especially now that it has been reground to an XXF to his liking.

My preference is for CS flat-tops and I started out not being a fan of the 100 shape... But I must admit it is growing on me! Plus it really is such an iconic shape that seems to have become the essense of CS. I am very glad that the modern company is committed to continuing this design.

#5 matthewst1

matthewst1

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:25

Love those Conways!

I'm yet to own a modern CS - yours is a fine example. I'd love to have a 100! Nice colour too, well done!
Wanted List: Pelikan M800 F; GvFC Pernambuco F

#6 frogmellon

frogmellon

Dipped Only

• Member - Gold

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 12:29

Fantastic pen and a great review. Does it have gold or silver trim? It looks silver on my monitor.

#7 Strang

Strang

Down

• Remembered Fondly
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,168 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2008 - 13:01

I have the CS 100 in the Yellow Whirl pattern which is out of this world! I chose a Medium italic nib and it writes crisply and cleanly. It's my favourite for letters to friends. The hardware on mine is gold coloured. I think that may be standard on all of the 100 Series pens. Nice review!

Edited by Strang, 18 August 2008 - 13:04.

Yes, yes I do owe you a letter.

#8 Brian

Brian

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,432 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 22:51

Thanks for a good review. I like the classic lines that have been brought forward in this modern interpretation. The blue looks rich and well done.

Best regards

#9 Opus104

Opus104

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,098 posts

Posted 19 August 2008 - 02:14

Congrats. Nice pen and a great review. Will the kitty get to write with this one too?

#10 georges zaslavsky

georges zaslavsky

vintageandmodernpenslover

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,033 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 22 February 2009 - 08:32

very marvelous pen wink.gif it looks like really a vintage product. I like it a lot.
Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

#11 lightweaver

lightweaver

Too many pens, not enough dosh

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 67 posts

Posted 22 February 2009 - 20:22

Thanks for the excellent review. This has been on my wish list for a while. I just hope I can one day muster the pennies for a 100. It truly is a beautiful looking pen.
They cannot look out far.
They cannot look in deep.
But when was that ever a bar
To any watch they keep?
-- Robert Frost --

#12 nkennett

nkennett

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 14:26

Gorgeous pen. How's the twist fill mechanism?

#13 jandrese

jandrese

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 921 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 15:01

Good question. And timely too. Recently, I sent the pen back to have the pen fixed because the twist fill/captive converter was leaking. I don't know if that was fixed or not because I immediately sent the pen back because CS damaged the pen. We will see how things go.

Regarding CS filling mechanisms, go for standard cartridge converter because all their other mechanisms are unreliable. I have a lever filler that is a constant problem too. My pen dealer says the same and the same can be found repeated often in the forums herein.

#14 nkennett

nkennett

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 31 July 2010 - 22:29

Good question. And timely too. Recently, I sent the pen back to have the pen fixed because the twist fill/captive converter was leaking. I don't know if that was fixed or not because I immediately sent the pen back because CS damaged the pen. We will see how things go.

Regarding CS filling mechanisms, go for standard cartridge converter because all their other mechanisms are unreliable. I have a lever filler that is a constant problem too. My pen dealer says the same and the same can be found repeated often in the forums herein.

Thanks for the response, I'll stick to the CC's.

#15 Lord Nincompoop

Lord Nincompoop

Disciple

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 01 August 2010 - 08:45

Love that blue. Very nice. :)
Pens Owned:
  • Parker Sonnet, M nib
  • Sheaffer Calligraphy Set, F & M & B Calligraphy nibs
  • Inoxcrom Wall Street Elegance, M nib
  • Parker IM, F nib

#16 aldi

aldi

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 04 August 2010 - 03:26

This blue colour is very nice. I like this review!
If you want your dreams to come true, don't sleep.

Sponsored Content

|