Dallas Pen Show Question

HeathnKara

Hey everybody, we live south of Houston, and I was thinking about trying to go to the Dallas Pen Show this year. Has anyone been to it, and if so how was it? I saw a picture of the show and it looked like one of those real estate sale pictures, the ones where the take the picture from the extreme corner of the room so it looks bigger than it really is. Just from glancing at some stuff last night, it doesn't seem as big as some of the other pen shows. Also, one of last year's sponsors, Pen Wright (sp?) I read went out of business. How is that going to impact this year's show? And I have to agree with KCat, I can't believe Houston doesn't have a show. This is kind of rambling, but I wanted to get some input from people who've been there and done that. Thanks.

Heath

Arguing with an engineer is a lot like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while, you realize the pig likes it.

Geaux Tigers!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• KCat

• HeathnKara

• robertaia

• Allan

Hi Kara:

I'm a member of the North Texas Pen collectors Club who puts on the Dallas Pen Show. It's interesting to note that we are the only show that is put on by a pen club.

We had a great turnout this past October. Traffic was heavy right up to the end at 5:00 PM. This year we had our first silent auction that raised almost $2,000 for our club. This year we received some press from the newspaper and we are working to get a TV segment for this years show.

This coming September 30, 2006 will be another show at the Hoilday Inn Select, Richardson, Texas on US 75 between Campbell and Beltline Road. The hotel will offer an attractive room rate and we will have a social gathering on Friday evening for trading and sekking. It's more of a regional show since it's for one day.

Please come it's FREE.

It's a shame that Pen Wrigh has gone out of business since they were a major sponsor. However, we think that we can garner up the same amount of support, maybe more, since Joe was didn't want major manufactires taking away his thunder in his backyard.

We even had Boris Rice from Houston at the show last year

robertaia

• 3 weeks later...
We even had Boris Rice from Houston at the show last year

robertaia

Ya gotta talk to Boris, Robertaia! We've not had a show since 01. :( Last year Rita had us in Dallas the week *before* the Dallas show. So i couldn't go then. This year your show will be in September, and my daughter's wedding in October - I can't make two trips. :(

Really, there's a lot of folks down here near Houston that would love a show - even if it's a small one-day thing. Maybe you can tell Boris how he can get the LSPC to try to turn their show into something that will bring them a little cash? It needn't be at the George R. Brown. I'm sure there are smaller, less pricey venues that would work well.

(grumble, sniffle, gripe)

at any rate - good luck to everyone on the Dallas show. sorry to complain.

KCat
Save animal lives - support your local animal shelter

My personal blog https://kcdockalscribbling.com

My nature blog https://kcbeachscribbles.com
Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

KCat

Sure you can make 2 trips, it's only about 3.5 to 4 drive,lol.

I spoke with Boris this past year about the Houston show. There dosen't seem to be a lot of interest that there once was. That's to bad. I went to the show they had last year at the Marriot (across from the Galleria). I beleive it was the first of February. I happened to see a very small ad in Pen World. It was well attended.

Allen:

We have a meeting next month and I'll keep y'all posted on sponsors, etc. Yes, Pendemonium was there and I believe they will return.

Robert

KCat, what is the LPSC? I didn't realize there was any kind of show or gathering in the Houston area. Is there one this year?

I'm also interested to hear who the sponsors will be for the Dallas show. My wife and I have pretty much decided to attend already though.

Heath

Arguing with an engineer is a lot like wrestling with a pig in the mud. After a while, you realize the pig likes it.

Geaux Tigers!

KCat

Sure you can make 2 trips, it's only about 3.5 to 4 drive,lol.

I spoke with Boris this past year about the Houston show. There dosen't seem to be a lot of interest that there once was. That's to bad. I went to the show they had last year at the Marriot (across from the Galleria). I beleive it was the first of February. I happened to see a very small ad in Pen World. It was well attended.

there was a show last year? I badgered folks for info several times and was told no show. I hate the Galleria area but I'd have gone in a heartbeat (dragging my poor hubby.)

I don't get pen mags. Sure wish the pen boards would be notified of these things - I bet it would have been much better attended if the number of us here in Houston and surrounding areas had been aware of it! I suspect that our numbers are increasing here - so it seems to me anyway. Relative to 5 years ago at least.

From my "end" of town it's actually a 5-hour drive to Dallas. And there are health issues to boot. I know you were joking of course. Just that it's obvious I have to really pick and choose my travel.

Heath - Lone Star Pen Club - I believe Boris heads it up and at one time I had contact info for them. Larry at Dromgoole's might have that info. Or maybe even Robert? :) Being the social person I am (intense sarcasm) I have never gotten together with the club folks.

Seein' as how I no longer read any of the other boards, maybe you could also talk Boris into communicating with FPNers at some point. FPN has this lovely feature that provides an on-line location for club members to talk amongst themselves.

just some thoughts. daydreams, i suppose.

KCat

Venerable are letters, infinitely brave, forlorn, and lost. V. Woolf, Jacob's Room

• 3 weeks later...

KCat:

I'll make a point of contacting Boris, now that he has finished the LA and Atlanta shows he might be ablr to shed some light on what happening down there.

I do wish that that club was more active.

Our show is scheduled for September, 30, 2006. Check out our website

www.dallaspenshow.com

It will give you some info on the hotel rates and location as well some of the sponsors we have lined up already.

Our next meeing is scheduled for April 5, 2006, 7:00 PM at the Holiday Inn Select, Richardson, Texas (west of 75 between Arapaho and Campbell). We meet the first Wednesday of every even numbered month.

See ya there.

Robert

OK KCat, another question for you. What does WRT stand for? I emailed an address I found for the Lone Star Pen Club and I have yet to hear anything back. Is there a secret handshake or something?

Geaux Tigers!

OK KCat, another question for you. What does WRT stand for? I emailed an address I found for the Lone Star Pen Club and I have yet to hear anything back. Is there a secret handshake or something?

sorry - 'net speak. WRT is "With Regard To".

no good answer on the Lone Star thing... i emailed them over a year ago I think and did get a response but it may have been a while between email and response. I think the LSPC folks are not so interested in the 'net as we are. :)

KCat