Top Posters In This Topic

• Gerry

• Lexaf

• Johnny Appleseed

• antoniosz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And one more:

Italstilo - Italian made. The one I have looks like a Nozac with the large transparency in the barrel, and the color scheme is reminiscent of the Waterman Inkviews in silver. It is a vac filler.

John

John Schwab

http://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/letterex.pnghttp://www.dslnorthwest.net/~jschwab/images/cardex.png

Pens for sale at my Website.

• 1 month later...

I saw a several pens at the Chicago Pen Show last weekend that I had not seen before with this name:

Yery Tryly Yours. - big celluliod O/S flattop. Not sure if it was someone's sub-brand.

I also saw and have in my collection several Ever-Ready pens. Also flat top celluliod.

I'm told this was a sub-brand of Eclipse.

Robert

Robert

Was it like this "Yours Truly" pen that Brian Anderson posted on, some time ago?

Yours Truly

I think that was M. Ratner and Sons. Pen Co., but we know nothing more than that.

Didn't Ever-ready buy Eclipse, or vise-versa? I think I remember that - either from the articles you sent me, or the information from George K. (rhr) in the Eclipse Thread.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Johnny:

The clip and color were exactly like the one in your post. I think the section was black.

According to Overbury Ever-Ready bought Eclipse. According to Roede, they didn't. I guess we will have to wait on the article.

Did you get the pics I sent you a couple of days ago with the mottled hard rubber Eclipse pen and matching section?

Robert

Can't help feeling I must have missed it somehow, but there seems to be no mention of Burnham. It was a fairly major UK pen company, quite similar in style to Mentmore. It even has a sub-category (of Fountain Pens) all its own on Ebay.co.uk

Here's another one.

Palmer

Yes, I know they had the 'Palmer Writing Method" that was popular around the turn of last centruy with dip pens and interchangable various nibs But, there was also fountain pens. I have one, a lever filler, the barrell has the "pregnant" shape where it joins the section, similar to their dip pens.

I'm not sure they made the pens, both dip and foutain, themselves are farmed it out to someone. Maybe someone can shed some light on this subject.

Robert

• 5 weeks later...

My apologies to the readers of the list - I'll be updating it shortly. Johnny, your question was spot on - we have only the input of members to guide us, and there are no reassurances that the list is completely accurate.

It is, however a useful tool (I hope), as it represents input from a number of sources, and I'm hoping that review by people interested in their own areas will improve the quality over time. Hopefully there will not be too much to and fro changes by people with opposing opinions on particular areas - if there are, those can be identified as questionable.

Glad to see it is of use to some.

Regards,

Gerry

Gerry,

Thanks for keeping and updating this list. It is a great source of information and would be great to really build on it. I frequently run the brand name of pens I have never heard of before through this list, just to see if anyone has heard of it.

One point of accuracy - there are several pens here listed as CE Barrett sub-brands (Century Pen Co., Diamond Medal, Good Service, etc). I don't know that these are all sub-brands of CE Barrett - I think some were brands belonging to a seperate company that bought their rubber parts from CE Barrett and assembled them themselves (a very common system in the early pen era).

I don't think Good Service was owned by Barrett, but the information on this is sketchy.

John

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you all for the additional info. Sorry about the time it took to get posted. Computer problems and admin overhead...

I find this a fascinating project, although improving it to anything like a database will be challenging. The idea of links to articles is interesting - I might just give that a try...

Anyway, thanks again for the help, without you it wouldn't be possible.

Warm Regards,

Gerry

PS: And thank you Max, for kicking the whole effort off with the initial set of names.

PPS: I've used a comma as a delimiter in the table. If it is disturbing to everyone, I can remove it. Let me know.

Edited by Gerry

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/284/readyrite.jpg

http://www.otherpower.com/images/scimages/284/readyrite1.jpg

READYRITE

Made in Japan

Ron

"Adventure is just bad planning." -- Roald Amundsen

Snort... You guys... Incorrigibles, both of you. Admit it, you wait until I post an update - then hand out a couple new entries... ;)

I'm gonna put them in, just so's you will feel terrible about the extra work you're creating for this poor old retired guy slaving over his reluctant keyboard. :lol:

Elder abuse is what it is... :ltcapd:

So there!

Gerry

OK, after a short period of self pity - I updated the table. :lol:

I've also added a couple of columns (hard to see the way the table is presented, but in its Excel form, it's easy to find. They are Fill type, and Contributor. I hope that the 'Contributor / Verification col will help address John's sugggestion that the list could be improved if we knew who contributed the item, or would vouch for the knowledge. Simply put, should someone find a similar, but perhaps slightly different name, it should be possible to check with the originator to see if there was a typo or if there really are two pen types / names out there. This won't work unless I get a lot of help from people willing to attest they know of a particular type of pen.

I can go through the submissions made so far (a bit of work) but there will obviously be a huge munber of names not contained in that category. Largely these would be from Max's original list - the source of which is not known at present.

In order not to run afoul of potential concerns of 'ownership' I want to make it patently clear that this attribution if for no other reason than to offer some small degree of validation to the data, so anyone using the table may have some reassurance that at least some recognizable individual has seen reference to the name somewhere. I will also feel much more comfortable correcting what might appear as a potential typo or double entry.

Please let me know if there appears to be any disadvantage to this suggestion.

Lastly, please feel free to submit huge lists of pen names/numbers you are comfortable validating. I will be glad to insert the information, but would prefer it if the lists were sorted alphabetically / numerically first. If using the number reference is easier - by all means do that, but please remember that the numbers do change after every addition of a new name. I'll probably hold off adding new names for a while as we work on this aspect of the table.

Thanks for all the help guys, I really appreciate it.

For those of you out there in computerland working in this area, I find it inconceivable that no one has thought of listing pens in a spreadsheet / DB before this, so I hereby freely acknowledge that I am not the first to do so (particularly since I'm building on Max's kind contribution from some time ago in this forum) and willingly concede the prior art to any and all of those of you who care to claim it, or to whom this aspect of pendom is particularly important.

Best regards,

Gerry

Edited by Gerry

Update:

M. Ratner and Sons, , USA, 1922,, JA, Incorporated 1922 - Manhatten NY.

Baird-North, Baird-North and Co., 1989-1930s?,, JA, Providence, RI - company continues on till 1950s at least, but last Baird-North branded pens in 1928.

- Dr Suess

#897 Welsh Leaver fill with stainless nib spotted - pencil/pen combo

#482 Majestic LF/PP

Ron

"Adventure is just bad planning." -- Roald Amundsen

Thanks AZ, Johnny and Ron. Slowly getting it all into the next revision. Ron has suggested a smaller DB for data entry, and this might be an interesting way to approach the problem of data entry or correction. I have created a small Excel spreadsheet with the same columns that I use in the larger list. If anyone wants to try filling in the smaller sheet with entries (new, additional material or corrections) it would be particularly easy for me to copy that data into the master, re-sort and get it presented here.

If you want the short version - just PM or email and I'll send it out to you.

Regards,

Gerry

Edited by Gerry