Pen Brands World Wide

Gerry

Penrite - most likely a Wahl sub-brand.

# , Name , Branding , Country , Date , Style , Contrib

Penrite, Wahl Eversharp Corp, USA, 1920s?, LF, JC, BCHR - looks like a Wahl sub-brand.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/laridae/Penrite.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/laridae/Penrite-Cap-nib.jpg

Wilder's - another old BCHR - no info.

Wilder's , ????, USA, 1915-1930?, LF, JC, BCHR pen picked up on ebay - imprint "Wilder's Fountian Pen - Won't Leak Guaranteed"

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/laridae/Wilders-Imprint.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/laridae/Wilders-Full.jpg

Diamond Metal, along with Webster and Good Service are all Sears Reobuck Brand's. Some were made by National Pen Co and/or C.E. Barrett, but others were made by Parker and possibly others. We should eliminate any reference to those brands being C.E. Barrett sub-brands.

And, in addition to Gold Medal, which was a National brand, we have Gold Metal - a C.E. Barrett and Co. Product - see this Ebay auction.

VINTAGE FOUNTAIN PEN GOLD METAL PEN, 14K TIP

#1073 on the list - Toledo, is the Toledo Pen Manufacturing Company, a brand of Skidmore Bros., Toledo OH, USA. They made LF and Crescent Fillers as well, and were busted by the FTC for infringing on Conklins trademarks and style.

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/laridae/Toledo-Skidmore.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a150/laridae/Toledo-Skidmore-imprint.jpg

John

Edited by Johnny Appleseed

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

• Replies 293
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Gerry

• Lexaf

• Johnny Appleseed

• antoniosz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:meow:

Hi,

1) A question for Antoniosz: :)

Wat is (was) your reference for 'Bantam - Conway Stuart Associated - UK" in 'the list' ? ( your code AZ was in the list for this record) I can find data about the Wahl-Eversharp miniature Bantam pens (Nishimura - Binder) but nothing referring to Conway Stuart....

2) Besides that: Nishimura talks about bulb fillers in his article about the Wahl Eversharp Bantam pens.

http://www.vintagepens.com/Eversharp_Bantams.shtml

This type was not in the list yet, so I added a code BU in the list for the filling mechanism field.

http://www.vintagepens.com/filling_instruc...b-fillers.shtml

3) I have a similar type of pen in my collection but the brand is unknown to me.

Victapen New York? Chrome trimming, ca. 10 cm. short, bulb filler. Not the original nib.

Anyone any information? (see pic below, don't worry, the white chalk can be washed away :huh: ))

That's it for now...

Regards,

Lex :eureka:

Edited for typos...

I also have a Victapen but I broke the end of the filler bulb by pressing on it. Gold-colored nib just says "Signature" then "Pen" then "4". Came with a matching pencil in a case. Barrel imprint is exactly the same but harder to read on my light-colored barrel. [Edited because I couldn't figure out how to add another photo.]

Edited by kudzu

Kudzu

"I am a galley slave to pen and ink." ~Honore de Balzac

Happy Pan Pacific Pen Club Member!

I also have a Victapen but I broke the end of the filler bulb by pressing on it. Gold-colored nib just says "Signature" then "Pen" then "4". Came with a matching pencil in a case. Barrel imprint is exactly the same but harder to read on my light-colored barrel. [Edited because I couldn't figure out how to add another photo.]

Could you tell what is the patent date on the pen. Is July 12 or 18 and then 22? 23? 28? 32? 38?

Several of them are possible but not all. If you can see with a loupe the exact date, we might be able to find something.

Could you tell what is the patent date on the pen? Is it July 12 or 18, and then 22? 23? 28? 32? 38?

Antonios, you mentioned all the possibilities except 33. Try July 18, 1933.

George.

:ph34r:

rhrpen(at)gmail.com

:meow:

Hi,

1) A question for Antoniosz: :)

Wat is (was) your reference for 'Bantam - Conway Stuart Associated - UK" in 'the list' ? ( your code AZ was in the list for this record) I can find data about the Wahl-Eversharp miniature Bantam pens (Nishimura - Binder) but nothing referring to Conway Stuart....

2) Besides that: Nishimura talks about bulb fillers in his article about the Wahl Eversharp Bantam pens.

http://www.vintagepens.com/Eversharp_Bantams.shtml

This type was not in the list yet, so I added a code BU in the list for the filling mechanism field.

http://www.vintagepens.com/filling_instruc...b-fillers.shtml

3) I have a similar type of pen in my collection but the brand is unknown to me.

Victapen New York? Chrome trimming, ca. 10 cm. short, bulb filler. Not the original nib.

Anyone any information? (see pic below, don't worry, the white chalk can be washed away :huh: ))

That's it for now...

Regards,

Lex :eureka:

Edited for typos...

I've got a couple sets of Victapens. The bulbs have crumbled on mine. The VERY interesting thing about these sets that I didn't know until I got my second set that came with paperwork instructions. They called these little pen sets convertable. You unscrew the pencil section and take off the corresponding section from the fountain pen, and screw the pencil part into the pen and viola! a combo pen/pencil. I don't have a working scanner here right now but I'll get a scan of the instructions when I can. I wonder if I could make bulbs from my mold making latex?

All the best,

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Could you tell what is the patent date on the pen? Is it July 12 or 18, and then 22? 23? 28? 32? 38?

Antonios, you mentioned all the possibilities except 33. Try July 18, 1933.

George.

:ph34r:

Yeap. It looks like Johnny Appleseed has already given the answer long itme ago:

https://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/in...st&p=205213

• 2 weeks later...
Hi All,

Wonderfully informative list - thanks for all the effort!

By way of thanks, here are a few more (and a couple of emendations).

- Berwick: another inexpensive US make (1940s?). Syringe filler, I believe.

- Executive Secretary: second (third?) tier US make, late 1940s-1950s. I've got a gold-filled (or gold-plated) pen & pencil set, and I've seen plastic pens in this brand as well. My pen is a button-filler with a hooded 14K nib. The barrel is engraved with the brand name and the place of origin: Union, New Jersey. The instructions that came with the set refer warranty claims to the Camel Pen Company, also of Union.

- Hollywood: the examples I've got are inexpensive 1950s US-made LF pens.

- Huron: I've got an oversized black-and-cream flattop lever-filler, black cap and barrel ends, unmarked clip, 14K Warranted #8 nib, c. 1920s. (US make, I assume.) The barrel is marked "The Huron Pen," with the word "Huron" underlined. Decent quality pen.

- Pratic: a French pen; my one example is from the 1920s, BCHR, lever-fill.

- Prosperity: a 1930s Sheaffer sub-brand (although there may well be "Prosperity" branded pens that are not Sheaffers). I've got a couple of lever-fillers, one of them imprinted "Prosperity Pen/Made by Sheaffer."

- Stetson: a pen so branded sold recently on eBay. Here's a link to the listing, for as long as it remains active: http://cgi.ebay.com/THE-STETSON-Fountain-P...tem130024069975

I've also attached an image, below, grabbed from that auction. Barrel imprint: "THE STETSON, Columbus, O." Found in a Diamond Medal box, but I'm not sure that means anything.

I don't know that much can be made of this, but I've got a boxed example of a BCHR pen called simply "The Stylographic Pen" (seems to be US-made). No other maker identification.

I can vouch for "Keystone": I've got a specimen of a BHR eyedropper in the original box. US-made.

I believe a "University" Sheaffer sub-brand (not "Univer") was mentioned in the Sheaffer/Kraker litigation. Has anyone ever seen one? (I've often been tempted to believe that the "Univer" name was created by striking the "sity" from the "University" tool; maybe there was a conflict with another "University" brand?)

I believe "Wanamake" should be "Wanamaker": the great, much-missed Philadelphia department store. The only example I've seen was a rebranded Wearever.

On the subject of department store names, I believe "Supermacy" should be "Supre-Macy"; Macy's used this brand for several of its rebranded items.

I think the proper spelling is "Haolilai" (China).

"Vacuum-Fill" (the Sheaffer sub-brand) should be spelled "Vacuum-Fil" (one "l").

Finally, a question: does anyone know anything more about the "Barrett" brand (New York City)? I gather a gentleman named Barrett (not CE) was a principal in the New York "Liberty" pen company; is this likely to be the same Barrett? (I've got a very nice celluloid combo marked "Barrett Pen-Pencil/New York City.")

I'm still sifting through my junk boxes, and I hope to be able to add another name or two.

Cheers,

Jon

I have a University pen.

post-5255-1179813447_thumb.jpg

Kudzu

Yes, the date is July 18, 33 - see this clearer photo. It's off being Binderized at the moment. :)

Could you tell what is the patent date on the pen. Is July 12 or 18 and then 22? 23? 28? 32? 38?

Several of them are possible but not all. If you can see with a loupe the exact date, we might be able to find something.

Edited by kudzu

Kudzu

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Here's another name for the list: "The Jefferson" (different, clearly from the "Jefferson" Wearever sub-brand that is already included).

This is a nice MHR eyedropper. It features an overfeed (the nib is presumably 14K, but one would have to remove it in order to be sure).

The barrel features a "step" which makes for a positive stop when replacing the slip-cap. A similar step at the barrel end provides a similar stop when posting the cap. The section features fine spiral ribbing for a secure grip.

The barrel is engraved just below the cap-stop: PAT. OCT. 3, 1899.

The pen hasn't been cleaned or polished, and the "Jefferson" imprint has not been enhanced; the photos show it as it came to me.

Does anyone have any thoughts about its origins?

Thanks!

Jon

post-2029-1181342401_thumb.jpg

Jon, possibilities:

634013, Fountain Pen Oliver R. Mitchell

634029, Fountain Pen Eduard Reisert

634398, Fountain Pen Dewitt C. Demarest

Judging from the cap shape and the feed, it looks like this is a pen made under the Mitchell's.patent. This patent is basically one of the first (the first?) inner cap concepts.

Check the inner cap. Does it match the patent?

Ultra cool.

Edited by antoniosz

Hello Antoniosz,

Thank you so much for the patent info. I did my best to get a good look at the inner cap, and it does seem to match Fig. 2 in the referenced patent.

How interesting that this may be among the earliest inner cap designs! Do you suppose the pen itself dates from around the same year as the patent? If so, it's in remarkably good condition. You can see the clarity of the "Jefferson" imprint for yourself, but the patent imprint is also very crisp.

This pen has turned out to be a very nice surprise; it was part of a lot purchase.

Thanks again!

Best,

Jon

Jon, possibilities:

634013, Fountain Pen Oliver R. Mitchell

634029, Fountain Pen Eduard Reisert

634398, Fountain Pen Dewitt C. Demarest

Judging from the cap shape and the feed, it looks like this is a pen made under the Mitchell's.patent. This patent is basically one of the first (the first?) inner cap concepts.

Check the inner cap. Does it match the patent?

Ultra cool.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All,

Courtesy of eBay: a bit more detail for the "Sanford" list entry (#938 as of this writing).

I'm attaching photos from a recent auction: a "Special Lever" ringtop in BCHR from the Sanford Pen Co., Inc. The imprint shows "Brooklyn, NY" as the maker's location.

So "Sanford" (this one, anyway) is a LF pen, U.S.-made, c. 1920 or thereabouts.

Cheers,

Jon

post-2029-1183147324_thumb.jpg

post-2029-1183147339_thumb.jpg

post-2029-1183147384_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all.

I am grateful for all the info added recently, and thought that perhaps a short explanation was in order.

Lex noted a number of deficiencies in the database that I took over from Max. I had added a lot of names suggested by many contributors to that list, but didn't try to turn it into an all encompassing DB because of the lack of data, and time... I find moderating three forums and acting as an admin quite time consuming, so I was quite happy to see Lex's proposal to develop a more complete DB, and to keep it up to date.

As one might expect, the two databases gradually diverged as one remained stagnant, and the other grew. Unfortunately I didn't keep mine up to date with Lex's so it is quite a bit in arrears.

Lex hasn't posted since Feb 13th. I haven't heard whether he's abandoned the DB project, or is temporarily/permanently unavailable.

I hope that the dialogue continues, as some very interesting pen data is being exchanged, but I have to ask if there's interest in seeing the old database (such as it is) brought up to date - warts and all, or should it be allowed to drift into obscurity?

I'm willing to take a look at updating it again (it may take some time though), if there's sufficient interest. That would be in the presesnt form - an Excel compatible spreadsheet format that anyone can import to their own computers should they wish...

Comments?

Gerry

Hi Gerry

Just to let you know I emailed Lex back in March and he basically was just very busy. He did say that he was still looking to work on the list but as we haven't seen him around since then I do think he may have more ímportant things on his mind.

cheers

John

• 2 weeks later...

Bic (fountain pens are only avable in Europe) www.bicworld.com

Paperchase (British stationary line has a c/c filler made in Germany) www.paperchase.com

Maped (French) www.maped.com

Reynolds (French)

Levenger www.levenger.com

Monoprix (Century) (French discount store)www.monoprix.fr (in French)

I own pens by all these brands.

Edited by Hélène

A few months ago on Pentrace, someone was selling a couple of lower-end Italian pens. I saved the images but I don't have any way of hosting them as our free hosting site is now a paid site :)

The brands were:

HAMMER

ACQUA (I believe the model name of this one was the "Atomica Magica".

Both were hooded-nib pens with syringe-filler mechanisms. I actually have one that is a dead ringer for the Hammer that my aunt in Eastern Europe found for me at a flea market, but mine has no company name on it.