• Gerry

• Lexaf

• Johnny Appleseed

• antoniosz

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:meow:

Dear Dave,

Please do not apologize! Your well thought out previous posting was a very inspiring help to sort out and verbilize my ideas about how to make the Pen Brands Worldwide List more complete and usable.

I do understand your dream about the Wiki concept. As a collector I'd very much like to have a tool like that available. But as a (retired) information scientist I realize that the set up, the hosting, the editing and the technical maintenance of a specialized Wiki or similar encyclopedically oriented computerized medium would ask far more effort that this forum could ever manage.

What I tried to explain is that with the database concept of this list combined with some creativity in using and researching connected sources, most of us in this small world of FP lovers, can achieve a satisfactory result as it comes to knowledge about ones own collection. And not only from the output side. I'm sure the use of the database will generate new input: new entries, more details and more connections to other sources that can be used as a reference for identifying and retrieving data not only about the makers, but also the history and the involved industrial processes of the pens in our collections.

The 'List' is also a living part of this topic: when you'd take the time to read all the postings in this topic from the beginning you'll find far more information and references than in the list alone. To quote myself once more: I'm just trying to fill in the holes. So when one comes with suggestions, like you did, I'll try to explain why I think if ones idea's could be fitted into the project. From a technical as well as from a practical point of view.

I'm glad to hear that you appreciate the work on this project. I'm afraid it will take some more time to realize and publish a usable version than I initially thought. But sure your positive comment gives me the courage to go on.

So thank you Dave and please write to me more if you feel it can help.

Regards,

Lex :eureka:

Edited by Lexaf

Hi John,

Many thanks Lex for the information on the Zemax and the Vaitermass.

Heres a link to confirm that Orium is a sub brand of the Wyvern Pen Company.

http://www.trocadero.com/rosenah/items/438334/en1.html

Great! I'll enter the link in the reference field. Nice pictures too! Pity they blocked local saving for copyright reasons. But we can't have it all....

Regards,

Mercury is a Belgian brand founded at the end of the 1940. It comes back in 2005 while proposing in limited edition a fountain pen dedicated to the 175 years of Belgium. Turned in a very beautiful dark blue resin, which seems to be Celluloid, it is equipped with a broad feather Boch, simply rhodium plated, marvellous of sobriety. Delivered in a very beautifull box in marquetry and leather.

mercury link to view the pen

Tibaldi: For its second rebirth, in 1994, Tibaldi chose to reproduce one of its historical models with great success: Trasparente. This fountain pen presents a body in a splendid translucent celluloid making it possible to see the level of ink and a cap in dark blue celluloid.

tibaldi link to view the pen

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Oldwin, a very nice brand founded by Mr Mora one of the oldest names in the pen biz in France , just read the article and you will see http://www.stylophilesonline.com/archive/jan03/05old.htm

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

Lex,

J. D. Snow Company is listed as a Cincinatti company but

today on Pentrace (http://members2.boardhost.com/pentrace/msg/1169397516.html there is a photo that clearly shows it is from New York

Check this photo: http://www.frontiernet.net/~rtfuss/pictures/snow_6109.jpg

Hello!

J. D. Snow Company is listed as a Cincinatti company but

today on Pentrace (http://members2.boardhost.com/pentrace/msg/1169397516.html there is a photo that clearly shows it is from New York

Thank you Antoniosz, I corrected the entry.

Oldwin, a very nice brand founded by Mr Mora one of the oldest names in the pen biz in France , just read the article and you will see ....

Mercury is a Belgian brand founded at the end of the 1940. It comes back in 2005 while proposing in limited edition a fountain pen dedicated to the 175 years of Belgium....

Tibaldi: For its second rebirth, in 1994, Tibaldi chose to reproduce one of its historical models with great success: Trasparente.

Thank you George, I'll add/update the references.

Nice article in stylophilesonline, the reference to Mora is not www.mora-stylos, but when you look at http://www.morastylos.com/ ,you can see all the Pens Mr. Mora has in his collection, not only his own but also some other famous old french brands.

Regards, Lex

Edited by Lexaf

I didnt see this one in the main list. I did quick look through 13 pages too and didn't find it.

I've just refurbed a splendid 30's deco leverfill pen called a "STYLECRAFT". Big imprint on the side, and a imprint on the clip all uppercase.

There are many similarities to my Gold Bond pens. It looks to me like the mfg. may have been the same.

A couple others is a 30's lever fill called a Morgan, and a 30's leverfill by Miller.

Probably already listed would be Capitol by Aikin Lambert New York.

One last one I didn't see is a "SELECTOPOINT". I've had SelectOpoint nibs in a few of my Wahl-Oxfords but this is the first whole pen I've seen. No imprint the name is uppercase vertical letters on the clip with "Made in USA".

Edited by krz

How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

Hello Krz,

Could you please post pictures of the pens you mentioned?

STYLECRAFT, 30's, USA..., LF, Gold Bond?

MORGAN, 30's, USA..., LF

MILLER, 30's, USA..., LF

CAPITOL, ?, USA?, ?, Aikin Lambert?

SELECTOPOINT, ?, USA?, ?

In order to be able to enter the brands in the list i'd like to have some more info, if not already mentioned. Possibly also references on WWW or in books.

Thanks,

Gold Bond pen's were made by National Pen Co. and/or C.E. Barrett. C.E. Barretts company turned parts for a whole stack of different brands. I think the story is that National was an independant company buying parts from C.E. Barrett, but Barrett became owner at some point. It's a bit convoluted. I have also seen PenCraft pens that seemed very siuilar to some National/C.E. Barrett pens, but they were clearly made by George Kraker.

John

So if you have a lot of ink,

You should get a Yink, I think.

- Dr Suess

Always looking for pens by Baird-North, Charles Ingersoll, and nibs marked "CHI"

Thanks for the info Johnny.

Lex I will get some pictures to post.

All the best,

Hi This thread is great. just spent an hour reading from the beginning.

Question: is there a place to download the list as it

currently exists?

Sensitive Pen Restoration doesn't cost extra.

Find me on Facebook at MONOMOY VINTAGE PEN

Hello Framebaer

The last list was published quite a while ago by Gerry and you will find it somewhere in the pages of this topic.

At the moment I am working on a revision of the list. I did quite a lot of editing already, but in the list I work with I also deleted a lot of entries with just a singele name or brand without additional data and references. I am re-entering these after I researched for additional data and source references. Also a lot of trade mark names were uses for sub-brands or model names and model names were used as trade mark names, so I am normalizing those entries.

The original list contained about 1250 entries, 'my' list is reduced now to approx. 600. :ph34r:

I am (alphabetically) working on the 'C' now, so you can imagine there is still a lot of work to do. The list is growing with new entries when I am working on it so I expect I will have at least 8- to 900 entries to go.... :(

As soon as I worked it over I want to publish on this site, but I am afraid it will take a while. New entries that come in through this topic are processed also and are very welcome because I can contact the contributer of the new brand name directly on this topic if I need additional info.

When you are interested I could send you a copy of the list as it is now (still very incomplete) but it would be a nice test for me to see if you can work with it.

I could send you 2 files: the short list in Excel or the long one in delimited txt (the 'long list has some large text fields and excel is not quite an appropriate application to work with large text blocks. Some pages back in this topic you can see some of my postings that may give you an impression of how the database is modeled and what is the 'long' and the 'short' record model.

Please let me know if you are interested and if so, send me a PM so I can send the files directly to your e-mail address.

Regards,

Edited for additional info.

Edited by Lexaf

Here's a photo of the Stylecraft as I found it. I want to do some proper photos of the Stylecraft and others when I can.

post-22-1170482464_thumb.jpg

Hi Krz,

Thanks for the pic. Nice pen, with unusual design; 10(?) sided, flat end and pointed top.

Found a reference on penbid for another Stylecraft (sorry, already sold :( ).

Klick: http://www.penbid.com/Auction/XcAPViewItem.asp?ID=298630

and this one ( still running) on e-bay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...em=320078690539

Any idea where these pens come from? Manufacturer? from 19.. to 19..?

associations? :huh:

Love to see pics of the other pens too!

Regards,

Here's a pic of the Morgan. 5 1/8th inch tall. No imprints on the barrel.

post-22-1170560099_thumb.jpg

Here's a "Select O Point" pen. No imprints on this one either. 5 1/4" tall. Has an ink visualizer section.

post-22-1170560363_thumb.jpg

Here's the Aiken Lambert of New York "Capitol".

This one didn't have a clip. The info is on an imprint that I'm unable to photograph. The nib is a nice ALCO USA nib.

post-22-1170560628_thumb.jpg

Edited by krz

Here's the "Miller's pen, also missing a clip.

The imprint reads: "-MILLERS-", "GUARANTEED PEN".

It looks like the same kind of furniture and section on the Gold Bonds or the StyleCraft.

This one is 4 1/2" tall.

post-22-1170561093_thumb.jpg

Edited by krz

This is the StyleCraft again, I think the clip can be read now. Yes, it's 10 sided.

The imprint reads only "STYLECRAFT" in a stylized font.

The band has a faux engraving pattern.

I call these style pens; "Rocket pens", which is why I made the rocket launcher pen rest. /:)

post-22-1170561475_thumb.jpg

Edited by krz