The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Nibs and Levers

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you line up your nibs? (70 member(s) have cast votes)

Where do you place the nib in relation to the lever when changing nibs or putting a pen back together after a repair?

1. Lined up with the point of the nib on top (41 votes [58.57%])

Percentage of vote: 58.57%

2. Lined up with the point of the nib on the bottom/feed side (4 votes [5.71%])

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

3. Lined up with the left side of the nib (5 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. Lined up with the right side of the nib (3 votes [4.29%])

Percentage of vote: 4.29%

5. Wherever it happens to land. I don't think about it. (17 votes [24.29%])

Percentage of vote: 24.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Imzadi

Imzadi

No cutting in line !!!!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 05:14

Not being lined up hasn't bothered me so far, yet.
Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
Never be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the ark.
Professionals built the Titanic.

Sponsored Content

#22 wvbeetlebug

wvbeetlebug

GO EERS!!!

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,244 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2008 - 14:09

Do you think the boy in the last picture is frustrated because the lever isn't lined up with the nib? tongue.gif

I would love for the lever to line up with the nib, but it's quite difficult to do so since the nibs screw in. Maybe that's something I'll work on this weekend.

:happycloud9:

Cathy L. Carter

Live. Love. Write.

#23 AKMA

AKMA

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 10 January 2009 - 15:35

I would love for the lever to line up with the nib, but it's quite difficult to do so since the nibs screw in.

Can't you just rotate the section?
Currently inked: Targa, fluted gold / Pelikan M400 / Parker 45 (Steel &Olive) / Sheaffer 440 Blue

#24 louie24

louie24

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 January 2009 - 20:16

I was just thinking abou this issue.

So, I recently got my first two Esterbrooks - a gray SJ from Adam via the forum, and a root beer brown SJ from Pendemonium.

I love both pens, but just by accident/random chance, I have so far spent more time writing with the brown pen. It's a 9461 nib, which I originally bought with the intention of using on checks and multi-part forms, but am so impressed with the nib and ink flow that I've been using it consistently for days. Absolutely no pressure required, it delivers a consistent line with the most feather light touch . . . are all Esterbrooks this smooth?? If so I may become a full convert.

Anyway, the one (very minor) issue I have with the pen is that the lever is lined up perfectly with the underside of the nib, so that sometimes the top of it rubs against the second joint of my index finger when writing. I was wondering if it would be difficult to change the position just slightly . . . I take apart my modern pens all the time for cleaning and filling, but I admit I'm kind of scared of this one . . . partly because I have no idea what to expect on the inside, partly because I have this idea that it's delicate because it's older. Am I being really silly? How hard would it really be to change the lever position slightly?

thanks!!! for your input and for reading my ramble . . .

wish list!
Sailor 1911M
Sheaffer Balance
Esterbrook Bell Systems J

#25 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 January 2009 - 02:31

QUOTE (louie24 @ Jan 11 2009, 03:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was just thinking abou this issue.

So, I recently got my first two Esterbrooks - a gray SJ from Adam via the forum, and a root beer brown SJ from Pendemonium.

I love both pens, but just by accident/random chance, I have so far spent more time writing with the brown pen. It's a 9461 nib, which I originally bought with the intention of using on checks and multi-part forms, but am so impressed with the nib and ink flow that I've been using it consistently for days. Absolutely no pressure required, it delivers a consistent line with the most feather light touch . . . are all Esterbrooks this smooth?? If so I may become a full convert.

Anyway, the one (very minor) issue I have with the pen is that the lever is lined up perfectly with the underside of the nib, so that sometimes the top of it rubs against the second joint of my index finger when writing. I was wondering if it would be difficult to change the position just slightly . . . I take apart my modern pens all the time for cleaning and filling, but I admit I'm kind of scared of this one . . . partly because I have no idea what to expect on the inside, partly because I have this idea that it's delicate because it's older. Am I being really silly? How hard would it really be to change the lever position slightly?

thanks!!! for your input and for reading my ramble . . .

First, the quick answer, yes, it's my (somewhat limited) experience that most of the 9XXX series nibs are the nicer
of Estie nibs. I haven't had an issue with a 9XXX nib yet.

Secondly, you aren't being silly and I don't blame you for asking the question. The good news is you shouldn't
have anything to worry about. (Also you won't be changing the lever position per se, you'll be changing the
nib position tongue.gif )

Both you pens have been restored. I know Adam cleans his up well, and I understand Pendemonium does too.
Both pens should have had their sections off recently when they were resacced so you should probably be able
to slide the section off the barrel easily by hand as it is now. Of course, I'd drain and flush the pen with water first.
A light wiggle/pull should do it. If they don't seperate easily, warm the barrel portion up with a hairdryer a bit
and they should then. I've also wrapped the section with a cut strip of bubblewrap (to keep it cooler) and put
the pen about 6-8" from a 60 watt lightbulb for 5-10 minutes to warm it up also. (I don't have a hairdryer...)

If it were me, I'd pull the section all the way out. Theoretically, you shouldn't have to, just turn it some and
reinsert, but I've also twisted a sac once doing it that way. (Plus that way you can also check to be sure
the sacs were talced like they should have been thumbup.gif ) Be sure your nib is screwed in all the way or
you may change your orientation if you tighten it up later. It's not a bad idea to warm the barrel up again
a bit before you reinsert the sac/section. It should go back in just fine with no issues. I think one has to be
pretty AR to insist on the nib/lever lining up but that's just me, heck, for it to stay that way, you'd have to
pull the section every time you changed nibs. (Which of course, goes to say that your new reset orientation
will probably only stay reset as long as you have the same nib in...)

Also, I don't know if Pendemonium purposely set the orientation this way, but I've read that the lever on
the bottom, 180 deg opposite the nib top is the "british" way of doing it.

Have fun,

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Edited by OcalaFlGuy, 12 January 2009 - 02:33.

#26 Bo Bo Olson

Bo Bo Olson

Pen Dust

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 21,622 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 19:13

Thank you, I'd never noticed, but due to the info, I tightened down the nib a touch more and the lever went from 02:00 to 03:00, and I think this pen is still on the original sac so the factory set it at 03:00. German was not a place where one would expect a lever pen back in the 50's to have been resac'ed.
As a kid all pens i ever remember were all set with the lever at 03:00.

German vintage '50-70 semi-flex stubs and those in oblique give the real thing in On Demand line variation. Modern Oblique is a waste of money for a shadow of line variation. Being too lazy to Hunt for affordable vintage oblique pens, lets you 'hunt' for line variation instead of having it.

www.nibs.com/blog/nibster-writes/nibs-germany & https://www.peter-bo...cts/nib-systems,

The cheapest lessons are from those who learned expensive lessons. Ignorance is best for learning expensive lessons.

#27 johnboz

johnboz

Old Ink Accumulator

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,159 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 20:13

I line the nib and lever up. As long as I'm keeping the pen, I don't worry about alignment when I change nibs. If I'm selling it, I'll usually pull out the section and re-align everything if I change nibs for the buyer.
I've got a blog!
Fountain Pen Love

#28 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 13 May 2009 - 20:27

As Johnboz alluded to in his post, AFTER aligning the nib and lever, you switch nibs, the alignment is likely to
"go away". So unless you plan on keeping just one certain nib in the pen for an extended period of time OR intend
on selling the pen (and I'm not sure how much it Really Matters there in the grand scheme of things...) I wouldn't
worry about the orientation myself or you'll be pulling the section every time you switch nibs and to me anyway,
that's just silly.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

#29 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• 10,204 posts

Posted 13 May 2009 - 21:10

QUOTE (OcalaFlGuy @ May 13 2009, 01:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
As Johnboz alluded to in his post, AFTER aligning the nib and lever, you switch nibs, the alignment is likely to
"go away". So unless you plan on keeping just one certain nib in the pen for an extended period of time OR intend
on selling the pen (and I'm not sure how much it Really Matters there in the grand scheme of things...) I wouldn't
worry about the orientation myself or you'll be pulling the section every time you switch nibs and to me anyway,
that's just silly.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

What you don't know about the nib thread stop screw?

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#30 DarkAudit

DarkAudit

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 15 May 2009 - 01:36

I have multiple Esties and multiple nibs. The only time they line up is when the nib that came with that pen is installed. If I switch, they don't line up. Even when I start from a different point, they wind up in the same non-aligned spot.

#31 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,052 posts

Posted 17 May 2009 - 14:43

You can always make them line up - but this depends on the specific renew point. If you change it - it may no longer line up.

#32 OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy

Ancient Artifact

• Member - Gold

• 13,113 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 May 2009 - 16:08

Sorry, but IMO the question and thusly the poll itself is flawed.

While I DO think that most who have a pen apart or are finishing a restoration OR *maybe* just preparing
a pen for sell WILL align things up, I DON'T think those same people will pull the section EACH time they change
nibs if things no longer line up just to get them lined back up.

For the poll to be most representative, that option should be included (and the poll question perhaps reworded...)
and it isn't.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Sponsored Content

|