The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Nibs and Levers

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

Poll: How do you line up your nibs? (70 member(s) have cast votes)

Where do you place the nib in relation to the lever when changing nibs or putting a pen back together after a repair?

1. Lined up with the point of the nib on top (41 votes [58.57%])

Percentage of vote: 58.57%

2. Lined up with the point of the nib on the bottom/feed side (4 votes [5.71%])

Percentage of vote: 5.71%

3. Lined up with the left side of the nib (5 votes [7.14%])

Percentage of vote: 7.14%

4. Lined up with the right side of the nib (3 votes [4.29%])

Percentage of vote: 4.29%

5. Wherever it happens to land. I don't think about it. (17 votes [24.29%])

Percentage of vote: 24.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 klangbogen

klangbogen

"And drive dull care away"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 02:51

In looking at multiple Esterbrooks this evening, I wondered...where do you place the nib in relation to the lever when either changing nibs or replacing a nib after a repair. Its seems it is easiest to fill if the lever is on top, lined up with the point of the nib, but esthetically, I like a clear unobstructed view of the barrel when writing. Any thoughts?
Be true to the music.

Sponsored Content

#2 Marsilius

Marsilius

likes pretty old things

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:37

This is an OCD issue that troubles me. Sometimes I try to figure out how to line things up the best way, but none seems better than the other in the end, which is good: if I knew which way to line them up I might be going crazy trying to get every single one just right.
So, short answer: Sporadic obsession, no conclusion.
Maybe you can add to the poll: "Wherever it happens to land. I feel anxious and worry about it sometimes."
Best,
Mars

Edited by Marsilius, 16 August 2008 - 05:39.

"fortibus es in ero"

#3 ANM

ANM

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,925 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 05:40

I prefer to place the nib lined up with the lever when I refurbish a pen but since Esterbrook nibs screw in, it isn't possible to always get a good alignment. If they aren't lined up, I, like you would prefer to have the lever on the other side of the pen. When filling the pen it does not matter to me where the lever is located.
And the end of all our exploring
Will be to arrive where we started
And know the place for the first time. TS Eliot

#4 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,204 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 06:17

This is a very complicated subject. There are many schools of thought on this. I choose to put the pens back in the orientation that they left the factory.

Esterbrook set the orientation of the nib, the lever, and the imprint based on the time of the day, the week, and the year that the pen was made. It works like this: With the nib at noon, the location of the lever indicates the time of day in which the pen was finished. The imprint is placed at an appropriate location relative to the lever corresponding to the week of the year the pen was produced by moving in a counter clockwise direction as the year progresses. The year being encoded by the lateral placement of the imprint and by different imprints. Since the Esterbrook factory was closed the last and first week of the year, there was in general no conflict with the location of the lever and the imprint as may be expected with such a system. It is speculated that the automatic stamping equipment had a key-out on the date encoding ring that eliminated the lever over stamp but this has never been confirmed. (On those few occasions when there is no imprint, it is assumed that these pens were made during this time as Esterbrook is known to have kept the factory running at a minimum. Caution should be noted here as this is easily faked by imprint removal.)

Why would Esterbrook go to all this effort. Several reasons but speculation again leads us to believe that this allowed the sales staff to easily recognize how log ago a customer last purchased a pen and thus when to recommend a new pen or in other words put on the "hard sell". This system to the trained eye would be much easier than trying to spot the date code on a Parker barrel for example.

Perhaps the most important reason Esterbrook did this was for us, the Esterbrook Collectors. This rich diversity of production dates greatly adds to the number of pens one is justified in owning when trying to complete a set of Js. Many of us have of course limited ourselves to not keeping duplicates and this date coding allows for a reasonable number of pens.

How to determine the proper orientation can be done even if the pen has been improperly restored. This is the subject of another long winded thread for the future.

Happy Collecting

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#5 Firefyter-Emt

Firefyter-Emt

Fountain Pen Snob

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 16 August 2008 - 14:07

I dunno there Todd... Sounds like an e-mail I got the other day! One of the biggest things that can throw the dealer part off is that the nibs hardly ever line up in the same spot if you swap nibs, which was the big selling point for the pens. Where did the info you have come from? Just curious....

OTOH, I can see the factory doing something like this, and my imprints are a hair off, but I would chalk it up to less then exact impring methods than a date time stamp myself.
“If you want your children to improve, let them overhear the nice things you say about them to others.” ~Dr. Haim Ginott

Posted Image Posted Image

My Website

#6 O'Hare

O'Hare

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 453 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2008 - 00:03

huh.gif

#7 Breck

Breck

Why do I ever stray from Bustelo?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:03

C'mon, FarmBoy - you gotta be pulling our collective leg, here.

#8 System of Adam

System of Adam

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:27

Todd, can I say I love you without sounding odd...? roflmho.gif

Adam
I Buy, Restore & Sell Esterbrook Pens, Desk Sets & Pencils

Currently on the hunt for:

Soennecken especially model 111 or matching pencils 11
Soennecken "Tower" sub-brand
Esterbrook or Waterman "Clergy" models with engraved crosses

#9 FarmBoy

FarmBoy

Brain freeze, mmm... got pens?

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,204 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 01:48

QUOTE (Murderface @ Aug 16 2008, 06:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
C'mon, FarmBoy - you gotta be pulling our collective leg, here.

Based on the PMs and emails, I got me a big ol'box a legs...

Todd

San Francisco International Pen Show - They have dates! August 23-24-25, 2019 AND August 28-29-30, 2020. Book your travel and tables now! My PM box is usually full. Just email me: my last name at the google mail address.

#10 Marsilius

Marsilius

likes pretty old things

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 320 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 04:50

It was just wonderful enough to make me worry why I had not read about it before.
On the serious side, Richard Binder's site lines up the lever, clips and top of the nibs on all his Esties.
I forgot to check if he does that on all the pens.....
Mars

"fortibus es in ero"

#11 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2008 - 13:43

I line them up. It bugs me otherwise rolleyes.gif
Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.
Frank Herbert, Dune
US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

#12 Gawain

Gawain

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 357 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 15:20

I would never have noticed, but now, since I've read this thread... <<sigh>>

LOL,
gawain
Thoreau "for every thousand hacking at the branches of evil, there is one chopping at the root"

#13 Aysedasi

Aysedasi

24 Heures du Mans and Oblique Addict

• Member - Gold

• 4,211 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2008 - 18:53

Great post Todd - had me going too........
I have to say, I couldn't care less what it does or doesn't line up with.......

#14 dhlr14454

dhlr14454

Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 17 August 2008 - 23:53

I was ready to post all sorts of questions about the day-time-stamp assertion. Silly me. But a brilliant post by FarmBoy.

#15 Brian Anderson

Brian Anderson

Esterbrook Nut

• FPN Super Moderators

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,337 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 17 August 2008 - 23:58

Another nib-must-line-up-with-the-lever person here. However, if I change a nib, I don't usually go through the hassle of removing the section and rotating it. I try to avoid opening a pen unless absolutely necessary, and that's more OCD than necessary.

Brian
www.esterbrook.net All Esterbrook, All the Time.

#16 klangbogen

klangbogen

"And drive dull care away"

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 393 posts

Posted 18 August 2008 - 15:19

I did a little check of old Esterbrook ads. The ones that are drawn seem to have everything lined up, but I found one photographed ad where it appears they are not. hmm1.gif

57esterbrookpens.jpg
Be true to the music.

#17 EventHorizon

EventHorizon

Donor Pen

• Member - Gold

• 3,002 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 18 August 2008 - 16:10

QUOTE (Brian Anderson @ Aug 17 2008, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Another nib-must-line-up-with-the-lever person here.

Welcome back Mr. Anderson thumbup.gif

Violence is the last refuge of the incompetent.
Isaac Asimov, Salvor Hardin in "Foundation"
US science fiction novelist & scholar (1920 - 1992)

There is probably no more terrible instant of enlightenment than the one in which you discover your father is a man--with human flesh.
Frank Herbert, Dune
US science fiction novelist (1920 - 1986)

My Pens on Flikr

#18 hoojy

hoojy

Near Mint

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 05 September 2008 - 21:46

I've done extensive experimentation on my 5 Esties and have empirically come to the conclusion that when aligning the lever, the one rule that MUST be followed is to avoid at all costs lining it up perpendicular to the barrel....
"Just because they call me a writer doesn't mean I can hold a pen in my paws"

#19 PaFitch

PaFitch

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:52

Leastwise, when its full of ink smile.gif

#20 jmkeuning

jmkeuning

Stick a fork in me.

• Member - Gold

• 4,948 posts

Posted 06 September 2008 - 02:54

I always thought they should, but then when I was resaccing some pens I totally forgot.
Fool: One who subverts convention or orthodoxy or varies from social conformity in order to reveal spiritual or moral truth.

Sponsored Content

|