Vampires of the world, here's your "51"!

Richard

Today, I acquired my first truly rare pen. In a box of "51" parts I bought from a friend, there was this red pen. Bright red. Now, my first thought -- as you'd expect -- was that this was a Mark III in Rage Red. But it ain't. It's a really early US-made Mark I. But everybody knows Parker didn't make a bright red "51" Mark I, right?

Wrong. Parker actually did make some "51" prototypes in bright red but didn't put the color into production. Legend has it that this decision was made for the company by Kenneth G. Parker's wife Mildred, whose reaction upon seeing one of the prototypes was to instruct her husband not to produce that color because it looked like blood.

This particular pen exhibits some serious cracking of the barrel adjacent to the clutch ring, and I will probably never actually use it. But it's a cool looking piece of history!

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/51_blood.jpg

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Richard

• Betty

• garythepenman

• Hephaestus

Wow! That is one red 51 indeed! Thanks for sharing your find Richard. It certainly is a cool piece of history.

http://i129.photobucket.com/albums/p202/Apollo3000/es-canary-islands-flag1s.gif Bendita mi tierra guanche.

I can't think of anyone better suited to finding such a pen, Richard.

I, for one, would be delighted if you choose to write with it.

-Ryan

Edited by Hephaestus

Wow! I LOVE that pen! Are there any red pens made by Parker at all? Is Mark III the name of the pen that is available in red?

Excellent find! If anyone would find one of these rare pens, it's very likely to be you.

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

That's one saucy red! If there's anyone who can get it going, it's you Richard - cool find :)

A hot wind was blowing around my head, the strands of my hair lifting and swirling in it, like ink spilled in water. ~ Margaret Atwood, The Blind Assassin

Wow!  I LOVE that pen!  Are there any red pens made by Parker at all?  Is Mark III the name of the pen that is available in red?

Yes, Parker has made red pens. Ignoring for the moment the Big Red Duofold (and the 1970s tribute to it), the red herringbone Royal Challenger of the 1930s, and the 75 and 180 in Red Quartz lacquer, there are at least these:

"21" in Red:

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/21_red.jpg

"51" Mark III in Rage Red:

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/51_rage_red.jpg

61 in Rage Red:

http://www.richardspens.com/images/collection/zoomed/61_cc.jpg

The "51" Mark III was the third distinct variant of the "51" -- it features a reshaped barrel (conical back end to resenble a jewel), somewhat different guts, a 61-style narrow trim ring (like the one on the 61 shown here) instead of the earlier clutch ring, and a cap with a 75-style washer clip secured by a screw boss with no jewel. The Mark III is the only version of the "51" that Parker produced officially in a bright red color, the same Rage Red that was used for the 61.

sig.jpg.2d63a57b2eed52a0310c0428310c3731.jpg

• 2 months later...

Talk about a pen finding a good home - that beaut certainly landed on it's feet !

Enjoy

Administrator and Proprietor of Murphy Towers