Good letter writing paper?

elpelco

I don't write real letters very much, but I would like to do more of it, and since I now have some NICE pens to write with, I want some good paper on whcih to do so. I have, however, no idea what to use.

And so: what paper does everyone write their letters on? :-)

Using:

Hero 329 - Noodlers Navajo turquiose

Hero 329 - Noodlers Green Marine

Hero 616 - Noodlers Bulletproof black

Hero 616- Noodlers Widowmaker

Parker frontier - Noodlers Bulletproof black

Out of rotation:

Parker 45 (F nib)

Parker 45 TX (M nib)

9 Hero 329's

6 Hero 616's

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernst Bitterman

• RayMan

• JDFlood

• Chip

I don't write real letters very much, but I would like to do more of it, and since I now have some NICE pens to write with, I want some good paper on whcih to do so. I have, however, no idea what to use.

I enjoy several different papers for writing and the lots of taking here about different types. There is no best paper so you need to try out yourself. Try Crane ( some like/some hate) or goto the stores and look for resume paper- usually nice as a starter.

I've answered this question in a few different ways before in this forum, but since it's one of my favorite things to talk about, I'll happily jump in again!

First, for reference, here are a few good threads:

What kind of paper do you like to use?, Do you have any favorites?

What kind of paper do you use for letters?

Lined paper for writing letters

Writing paper for snail mail

Personally, I like to use printed stationery, something with more personality than a blank page. My letters are long enough that I'll use the blank pages for additional sheets.

Now, I'm lifting my own comments from the top thread linked above, and expanding them:

3. Do you have a list of favorites? Sure, many of us love Clairefontaine, Molskine, Crane and Rhodia. But be creative and original.

Here is where I am happy to be the loquacious odd duck. I use the favorites - Crane, G.Lalo and even Clairefontaine though it is not my favorite - for extra sheets in letters. I write lengthy letters. But I really have a fetish for extremely decorative stationery, sometimes offbeat. Some are better for FPs than others, but they'll all take them.

Less good for FPs but endlessly entertaining are the Dark Horse comics line of letter stationery. A few of my faves:

http://www.darkhorse.com/Products/12-243/D...lves-Snail-Mail

http://www.darkhorse.com/Products/12-656/D...tique-Shag-Cats

http://www.darkhorse.com/Products/11-866/D...hags-Supersonic

Also, generally better for FPs, I like some of the stationery from Victorian Trading Company:

http://www.victorianpapers.com/store/catal...2c/i479204.html

Also their notecards are good for FP writing on the inside and come with envelopes with a lovely die-cut flap.

For the finer stuff, can't beat Kartos Florentia (also seen in my avatar):

http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/florentineshop/florentia.html

Excellent paper for FPs and satisfying my slightly weird edge, the Edward Gorey stationery set from Pomegranate is great:

http://pomegranate.stores.yahoo.net/w003.html

I'm a big fan of the 16 sparrows items, including Letter Writers Alliance set:

http://16sparrows.com/shop/Letter-Writers-Alliance.html

http://16sparrows.com/shop/RSVP.html

http://www.flickr.com/photos/greenvelvet/2...57605397575815/

And finally, all the varied stuff I find on eBay!

Vintage stationery set

(Not my photo, but a photo of one of my letters!)

Right now I am really into vintage stationery, with my wholly unscientific assertion that the paper was made back in the day when most people used fountain pens. The WWII/1940s papers are my favorites, but you'll have to be okay with that "old paper" smell. With the exception of onionskin/airmail or purposely very thin papers from this era, I've never found one yet that bleeds through.

Hope this helps, and happy letter writing!

For letters, as opposed to cards, I think G. Lalo's Verge de France line cannot be beat. Excellent paper, particularly with a FP, and it comes in various sizes and colors. Less expensive than other, similar quality papers.

For correspondence cards, I've been using Fabriano Medioevalis. They're thick and wonderful. I would entertain a different card, though; I might try the G. Lalo cards when it's time to reorder.

JN

Glad to hear you want to start writing letters. It is such a wonderful hobby and even

though some of my friends give me a hard time, they still enjoy receiving a letter or

note on nice paper*. I tend to use the G. Lalo Borghese card set for short notes

and Amalfi paper for long letters. If I write more than one sheet, I will use either

onion skip paper or Original Crown Mill Computer Ruled for my extra sheets. At

the lab, I will often send notes by taking these nice pads I get from a local

bookbinder and folding them half and sealing with a piece of tape. You will be amazed

how in this email world, people respond to getting a meeting request, in such manner.

*If you ever need to earn brownie points with a significant other, write a loving

letter at work and mail it home without telling him/her (for no reason other than

saying how important he/she is). My fiance loves hers.

G. Lalo

Original Crown Mill

Clairefontaine

Original Crown Mill is available online from Swisher Pens.

G. Lalo and Clairefontaine are available online from Pendemonium.

All three are very nice papers for correspondence, and both Swisher and Pendemonium provide great customer service. You can't go wrong with any combination of the three.

Other online dealers may also offer these papers, what I've listed is what I use and the vendors from whom I buy. No offense intended to the others.

Because I write so many letters I use Rhodia No15 lined pads (sometimes grid as well). There are 150 sheets per pad and A5 is a good size to send in the UK as it falls into the cheapest postage rate for size (weight up to 100 grammes). There is also a limit on the thickness so using C5 envelopes means that you don't have to fold the paper. It's not "posh" paper, but it is nice and dense so makes your nibs look as they should.

I use this Crane's paper. Its ruled and works really well with FPs. Its heavier weight paper too. The box comes with 25 of these ruled sheets and 25 envelopes. The paper folds nicely in half and fits in the envelopes. I would recommend it. I can get you the stock # so you could get it, if you want.

Papyrus brand stationery comes in a box of 100 sheets and 50 envelopes for $18.95. This is available in their stores and on-line. I am leery of chain store stuff, but this is good paper for pens, doesn't bleed, can use the back, too. It comes in light blue, parchment, and off white all with a deckled edge. I avoid the blue stuff as it's too girlie for me. I love the light parchment color. Good bargain. Alot more formal than using inkjet laser paper which offers an agreeable surface.

Wanda

Check out this new flickr page for pen wraps

W He

Mostly Crane and Company. My Crane's wardrobe includes:

sizes: monarch, business, Kent, Corinne, folded notes, folded letter sheets ( a large sheet folded twice to fit into a tiny envelope), correspondence cards.

finishes: wove, kid, laid, parchmont, airmail.

colors: pearl white, ecru, natural white, azure, Cambridge blue, Wedgewood blue, celadon, aqua, and orange.

bordered paper: pearl white with navy border, ecru with navy, ecru with gold, azure with silver, wedgewood with white, ecru with triple navy hairline, pearl white with triple navy hairline, pearl white with silver vines.

weights: 24lb and 32lb.

envelope linings: white, navy, red Florentine, blue Florentine, and airmail stationery envelopes lined with an antique map design.

watermarks: standard Crane's 100 % cotton, Crane and Co. 100% cotton, Crest with bird image, Crest recycled, and Bond.

And personalized stationery: pearl white Monarch with copper plate engraved name in navy.

Edited by jeen

For me, the gold standard is Clairefontaine Triomphe. Very smooth, and a pleasure to use with fountain pens.

Regards,

Ray

Right now I would have to go with G. Lalo, I have tried Clairefontaine, Rhodia, Crane, etc. There are also some really cool specialty, like Amalfi Watermarked Stationery (Vickerey.com). One of these makes the receipient feel like they got mail from the Middle Ages. JD

I've used American Stationery's products for many years. Their website is <http://www.americanstationery.com/>

I never see it mentioned here. Maybe because there seems to be a preference for French paper, which is also quite good. The American Stationery "monarch" size that I use for personal correspondence is not a smooth finished as Clairefontaine or Rhodia and is more like a good office bond. It's a matter of preference though.

At Staples in Canada, they carry Fraser Papers products in a variety of surface textures that seem very responsive to FP inks-- I use the "Synergy Bond" laid-texture with great success.

edit-- I caveat with "in Canada", of course. They MAY have it in the US, but up here they don't have the "Red and Black" notebooks, so I can't be certain.

Edited by Ernst Bitterman

Ravensmarch Pens & Books
It's mainly pens, just now....

Oh, good heavens. He's got a blog now, too.

fpn_1465330536__hwabutton.jpg

• 1 year later...

For me, the gold standard is Clairefontaine Triomphe. Very smooth, and a pleasure to use with fountain pens.

I agree wholeheartedly

Regards,

Al

• 7 years later...

I'm interested in trying this, though I don't know about suitability for fountain pens.

https://www.papyrusonline.com/white-deckle-edge-writing-sheets

This Papyrus paper is one of my favorites, and is quite FP friendly. I have it in cream, and I think the pale blue, and I always keep a box around. I also have the small fold-over notes, which are the same paper.

Crane is my favorite paper, but this is economical. If Papyrus is doing a buy one/get one 50% off sale, even better.

Sharon in Indiana

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self." Earnest Hemingway

Another vote for Triomphe - it's what I use. Simple and high quality. It comes in correspondence sets in both A4 and A5 through most retailers that carry it.

~AK

Whenever you are fed up with life, start writing: ink is the great cure for all human ills, as I found out long ago.

~C.S. Lewis

--------------

Current Rotation:

Edison Menlo <m italic>, Lamy 2000 <EF>, Wing Sung 601 <F>

Pilot VP <F>, Pilot Metropolitan <F>, Pilot Penmanship <EF>