If you could only have one pen

Hephaestus

Easy. Edison Collier Persimmon Swirl Acrylic outfitted with an FPR flex nib.

If I could choose a pen not my own, I would choose this one (I might have to climb into the Wayback Machine to get it):

fpn_1510884422__jr-signing.jpg

That's a great photo. Is the pen a flat top Sheaffer?

Bob

Shouldn't phonics be spelled with an f?

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maclink

• handlebar

• Arkanabar

• bemon

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's a great photo. Is the pen a flat top Sheaffer?

Bob

It could be. Good candidate in any case.

fpn_1510889283__flat_lifehighclip_blackp

Of course, my interest is less about a writing instrument than a historical instrument. And now that I think of it, that changes things. All things being equal, I'd stick with that choice. But in keeping with the sentiment, if not the technical requirements, of the OP: For an FP not my own and as strictly a writing laborer, I'd would probably go with a Pelikan M800.

Edited by Bookman

I love the smell of fountain pen ink in the morning.

I've tried a lot of pens, some very expensive pens. I've owned a lot of pens too. But if I have to choose just one, it would be the M200.

For me, it is perfectly balanced and has one of the best nibs around.

• 3 weeks later...

I got my first M800 nearly 20 years ago and it was my only one until last year..... When I got another M800. That's my final answer...:)

A Parker 51 aerometric in pristine condition, in a color I like and with cap combination I like.

Edited by mitto

Khan M. Ilyas

It would have to be a Lamy Safari. The Safari is the best everyday carry pen ever made. And I can use it without having to treat it like a precious object, the way I do with the $100+ pens in my collection.

I love how this thread has been resuscitated!

For me, though I have not used it in a while, the Aurora 88, Fine nib. What a pen!

Erick

Using right now:

Visconti Voyager 30 "M" nib running Birmingham Streetcar

Jinhao 9019 "EF" nib running Birmingham Railroad Spike

Pelikan M1000 "F" nib running Birmingham Sugar Kelp

Sailor King of Pens "M" nib running Van Dieman's Heemskerch and Zeehaen

Pilot Vanishing Point. Its 100% consistent in smoothness & ink flow than more expensive pens I have*, and writes on virtually most paper I encounter. It has never soiled my fingers with ink [other than during a messy filling], and in fast work days, the speed of retracting the nib keeps the nib safe. The extra motion needed to cap a classic fountain pen has, on occassion, led to interesting marks on co-workers, and near fatal falls. My workday requires me to fill the VP converter with ink 1-2x daily.

Medium VP nib is ~ fine nib for most pens. Broad VP nib is ~ medium for most pens.

The nibs are quickly interchangeable, and I have Medium for heavy work days, and Broad, for days when most of my work is signing my name.

*Parker 75, vintage 1970s

Parker Sonnet 1980s vintage

Mont Blanc Meisterstuck

Parker 75. 1980s vintage

"My workday requires me to fill the VP converter with ink 1-2x daily."

That's a lot of writing! I do agree with your choice

My Omas Paragon Ludovico Einaudi Signature with a broad nib. It was tuned at Omas, and I have to say, theres a night and day difference between a modern Omas that was tweaked at the factory and not. This pen has been perfect! The finish looks the same if you just washed it or took it to work and had greasy french fries and a hot dog for lunch. Its my only pen in my 70+ collection that is just great all the time and has never caused me problems.

Edited by sub_bluesy

Someday the mountain might get em but the law never will.........

Post WWII Pelikan 101N with a flexy B/BB nib.

There are of course others I would love to have but... that one checks all the important boxes and then some. Second choice would be a complement of nibs for the 100N/101N.

Then... a Parker 51 Aerometric with a nice 1.0 - 1.2 mm stub.

This is so hard. I love my 51s and my Lamy 2000 is a star, and then there's... There's also pens I've grown attached to for a range of silly reasons. But just one pen you say?

A demonstrator Platinum 3776 that I have with an older style medium-fine nib they no longer make. It fits my hand perfectly, and the nib writes like a dream with lovely smoothness, and just that hint of feedback that also gives it character. It's also the epitome of reliability. I can write and write all day with that pen.

I'll need to go for a lie down now.

An Esterbrook J series with 9550 nib. Very comfortable to use, and this nib gives me just the right amount of feedback and excellent performance (i.e., no feathering or bleeding) with a wide variety of paper, assuming the use of an ink with reasonable drying time.

Regards,

Ray

Pilot vanishing point in metallic green, Nib F. I love how the nib writes, it works well with my grip and because it is clicker action(?). And my only ink would be Diamane Apple Glory. And I think I would be perfectly happy. I have actually thinking about that. But I'm not that minimalistic, yet.

Pilot vanishing point in metallic green, Nib F. I love how the nib writes, it works well with my grip and because it is clicker action(?). And my only ink would be Diamane Apple Glory. And I think I would be perfectly happy. I have actually thinking about that. But I'm not that minimalistic, yet.

Ive actually gone down to one (fountain) pen because of a new job and despite saying it would be an L2K its my Vanishing Point with a gold m nib.

Since I have to force myself to use it ink capacity isnt an issue so the click action won out for sheer convenience.

Im actual using my Duofold rollerball the most these days because its the one pen Ive always got clipped into my shirt no matter which store Im at.

Edited by bemon

• 3 years later...

I love my Visconti Homo Sapiens Bronze Age with an EF nib, but the one pen I would want from my collection if I could only choose one would be my Lamy 2000 Makrolon with an EF nib. It feels so good in my hand, I love the classic lines, and never disappoints me.