What percentage of your pens have non-standard nibs?

Blade Runner

By standard nibs I mean XF, F, M, B, BB

By non-standard nibs I mean stubs, italics, obliques, needle points, music, etc.

What percentage of your pens have non-standard nibs?

What are they? :happyberet:

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Blade Runner

• piembi

• gregamckinney

• Philip1209

None at the moment, unless you count my flex nibs (Skylines and Duofold). I do have an Estie Relief Stub on the way, however, which will change things.

Cross: ATX

Esterbrook: Dollar Pen

Eversharp: Standard Skyline, Demi Skyline

Parker: 2 "51" Aerometrics, "51" Special, "21," Striped Duofold, Reflex

Pelikan: M605

Sailor: Sapporo

Sheaffer: 2 Balances

Waterman: CF, Phileas

I really do not know, but I tend to think off hand that at least 1/2 my pens have what you are calling non-standard nibs. I have had a number of pens customized for formal and cursive italic nibs. I also buy some pens for their marvelous factory italic or stub nibs like Duofold Centennials, Parker Sonnet (stubs), Stipula Etrurias, Sheaffer and Waterman (stubs), Danitrio (stubs), Bexley (stubs) and even Lamy Safaris (italics). I am sure there are pens I am forgetting.

I was a fast convert to cursive italics - over

half of my working pens have italic nibs.

I have one stub, three fines, one medium,

and 5 italics of one variation or another.

Current daily users: Pilot VP with Diamine Teal, Waterman Phileas M Cursive Italic with Arabian Rose, and a black Reform M CI with Copper Burst

Let's see - 4 out of 30, which makes it 13% - Lamy Safari 1.1mm italic, Pelikan 200 with crisp italic (Binder), Pelikan 200 with an OM, Lamy Joy with a 1.5mm.

Roughly 3.5% (7 out of 200)

Parker Duofold International green marble- fine italic (currently in use)

Parker Duofold International pearl & black - fine italic

Sailor 1911 - music

Parker 75 - broad oblique

Parker 75 - medium oblique

Parker 75 - fine oblique

Parker 75 - fine italic

I don't consider an oblique nib a non-standard nib. I am rotating the pen and in this case the oblique nib is my standard nib. I have to force myself to hold the pen straight if a nib does not tolerate the rotation.

So about 1/3 of my nibs are oblique.

Vintage German broad nibs are stubs so that I may consider them as non-standard, too.

And I have a stub and a cursive italic medium Pelikan nib and an italic 1.1 Lamy.

Think I will add a broad stub soon.

Using your definition I have a total of about 50% of non-standard nibs :D

I have a collection of 22 pens, of which...

11 have fine or XF nibs

5 nibs are some sort of stub

4 nibs are flex

2 nibs are italic

So it's 50/50!

But that's because of the way I "collect" which is to buy lots and enjoy them for a month or so before selling them on unless I'm truly in love with them. It just happens to be the less-standard nibs I enjoy more. Also, all the stubs are recent acquisitions - I've had a spate of luck in my pen purchases lately. Too bad I've had to sell one of the nicest stubs I owned (but it's going to a good home!).

About a sixth of my current collection has "non-standard" nibs, but it is growing as I accumulate more pens. My current cadre of "non-standard" nibs is as follows:

Bexley America the Beautiful: Bexley stub

Bexley Celestial Prototype: Bexley stub re-ground narrower by Deb Kinney

Bexley 2006 Owners' Club: Bexley stub

Bexley Moltini Antonella: broad nib re-ground to a 1mm stub by SMG

Bexley Simplicity: broad nib re-ground to a .9mm cursive Italic by Richard Binder

Sheaffer Ballance II: .8mm cursive Italic

Bryan

"The greatest lesson in life is to know that even fools are right sometimes." Winston S. Churchill

Two of my 15 pens are "non-standard". I have a vintage Parker Lucky Curve with a stub nib and a Conway-Stewart Series 100 with a medium italic nib. I love them both!

Hi,

Three out of 140+ pens (all OMs, although one is a Sheaffer Balance II and isn't marked and may be an OB), also have one of those Sheaffer NN calligraphy sets, the nibs from this will all my NNs and also the Balance II and Connaisseurs.

Always wondered about trying a stub nib, but worry that they will be too broad as my writing is quite small (in fact the Sheaffer and Lamy OM nibs are too broad for day to day writing and I tend to use them mainly for signatures, short notes or addressing envelopes)

Andy

50% of my pens have non standard nibs. Of course I only have a total of four pens at the moment.

I have a Pelikan 605 with a Nagahara Japanese XF (needlepoint) and an 800 with a Binder .8 mm stub.

Edited by Benjamin McFerret

~80%. I am a lover of XXF points due to my small writing, and only a few pens I have actually approximate the fineness I like. Majority of my pens have had some thinning of the tines done. I think all of my pens are XF or F at the broadest. Only exception is the M VP nib I bought and ground into a stub italic. Only 2 of my pens have had been touched by a real nibmaster: a Namiki Falcon by John Mottishaw for extra flex and XF point, and a restored Parker VS by Richard Binder. The rest is of my own handiwork.

Jason's current rotation:

Lamy 2000 eyedropper

Parker '51' Vac

Sailor Pro Gear

None of my pens have non-standard nibs. I have one pen with a fine nib and 34 pens with medium nibs. I have tried out italic and stub nibs but do not care for them.

Laura

The majority of my pens are from the "collection" side, versus the "users" side.

Of my 'collection' pens, only 2-3% have non-standard nibs. In those cases, it is just chance that I found, for example, a Waterman 92 with a flex-stub nib.

Of my 'users' pens, nearly all have non-standard nibs. I really like using stub and CI nibs, so I seek those out. I have quite a few Bexleys for this reason. I also have a number of pens I really like the look of that I had retipped so they could become users. I have a Delta Pompei and a Visconti Verona that both came with F or M nibs that now sport stubs.

Regards, greg

Don't feel bad. I'm old; I'm meh about most things.