Anyone write cursive Cyrillic/Greek?

jamesf

Adam, thank you so much for taking the time to make a sample. Your handwriting is graceful! I have altered about 8 characters after studying your specimen. How does this look?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/jamespf/greek3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/jamespf/fpnsig.jpg

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• jamesf

• QM2

• le chat serein

• georges zaslavsky

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/jamespf/cyrillicnormal.jpg

Oh that is much, much better! Pretty cool font : )

Now that I can actually read the text (with a few minor spelling errors, in case that is useful to mention), I can isolate the relevant comments.

The caps are pretty much good to go as they are. The only possible change I'd consider, is making the little "tails" on the "tse" and the "schya" longer (meaning extend them a tiny bit more downward).

As for the script, see below:

Just to summarize and paraphrase your advice so far:

1. 't' should be symmetric

2. 'g' needs a pointier head

3. overall look should be even and angular

The overall look does not need to be changed; it is legible as a Russian font once a normal text is used.

The small "t" would benefit from being more symmetrical than it currently is, but does not need to be 100% so. Just a bit more would suffice.

The small "g" does need to be sharpened on top, I can confirm this now. Currently it reads too much like "ch".

Let me know if something is not clear and I hope this helps

one more suggestion:

In the script, the lower case Russian "v" -- make the top part more like a loop and less like a line. Yes, that will make it perfect.

::nods:: The greek is much improved. Perfectly legible, and, IMO, better looking that mine. Well done!

Adam

Lectori salutem

::nods:: The greek is much improved. Perfectly legible, and, IMO, better looking that mine. Well done!

Adam

That's good to hear! Thank you for all your help. I'm learning so much from this project :happyberet:

QM2

It's such a relief to hear that you are able to see it as Russian text. For a moment there I thought I would have to start from scratch(!). I've nudged the small t's hump, straigthened g's top and made the downstroke curvier (I'm not sure about the lead-in stroke though). The small 'v' is now has a loop instead of a straight ascender. Here's the sample. I'm under the impression that pangrams use uncommon words to squeeze every letter in but I hope these sentences aren't problematic.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/jamespf/russian3.jpg

I'm looking forward to your opinion.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/jamespf/fpnsig.jpg

Hi there,

. Russian lowercase "t": I think this is fine now!

. Russian lowercase "v": You made the loop too wide now : ) Somewhere in between what was there before and this would be good -- a long and narrow loop

. Russian lowercase "g": this letter should not have a hump of any kind to the left of the "peak". Yours has a sort of secondary left hump thing going, do you see what I mean? (Sorry, I do not know the technical terms for all these things!) Basically, you should be able to make the "g" with 2 strokes from the starting point, not 3 as you currently have it.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/jamespf/russian3.jpg

jamesf, it's a pleasant surprise to see someone interested in cyrillic alphabet.

The one above /the first two rows/ is not russian for sure. It looks like serbian, or belorussian... There are several variations of the cyrillic alphabet - bulgarian, russian, serbian, etc. They are almost the same except some of the letters that are present in one of the alphabets, but are missing from the others.

Anyway, here is a sample of the russian version of the cyrillic alphabet, taken from an ABC-book /not sure about the correct translation of букварь in english/:

post-9470-1219254813_thumb.jpg

I can send you a pdf copy of the book, if you need it. Just send me your e-mail address in a PM.

Regards,

Dimiter

• 3 weeks later...
Here's what I have so far. How legible is it? I hope it doesn't look too

'second grade student.' Please critique the forms. Thanks!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/jamespf/cyrillictest2.jpg

I have no clue what the text says. I got it from a dummy text generator.

jamesf -- the handwriting does not look Russian, so I have a hard time processing it as such. My brain keeps reading the Latin version of the letters -- for instance the Russian "r" as "p", the "t" as "m", and so forth.

The grammar and syntax in that sample are very, very wrong -- this paragraph seems to have been (mis)generated by some translation program, rather than a person.

Here is the correct text in Russian: "Приклютчения ом бас толка можна даждача. Мы можем даждача всего ом всех.Он оркестравалъ эмо сам с усилями потому чмо он програмипабалъ программы на огин раз. Вредим другум, он ни может себе присмавлят. Kак вы палку комоту даёме, так у он будет людей управлят."

Georges -- sorry, but that is also very incorrect. The syntax, grammar and spelling are wrong in every sentence. Where did you get this?..

Russian is my mother tongue since I am kid since three years old. I am a fluent russian speaker. You should know that in the Russian language, there is what is called indirect language, the beginners do not necessarily know it. How many years do you learn or speak russian? Do you write commercial and/or technical letters or documentation? I do. The fact is that you used a translator, I didn't and most of the sentences in the translator didn't make sense and they have to be corrected and put in an indirect form.

Here is a passage in correct Russian:

"Часто возникает путаница, в чем же все-таки разница между автоматом и штурмовой винтовкой. А вся разница - в языках. Просто то, что в русском языке принято называть "Автоматом" (применительно к оружию) в английском языке называют "Assault rifle", т.е. "Штурмовая винтовка". В дальнейшем я буду пользоваться более привычным отечественным термином "Автомат", введенным в 20е годы ХХ века российским оружейником Фроловым для обозначения "карабинов-пулеметов" системы Федорова.

Автомат - основное наступательное оружие современной пехоты. Современные автоматы обычно имеют калибр от 5,45 до 7,62мм, емкость магазинов от 20 до 30 и более патронов, режимы огня полностью автоматический (очередями) и одиночными выстрелами6 а некоторые модели - еще и с отсечкой (т.е. очередями по 2 или 3 выстрела). Эффективная дальность стрельбы в среднем до 600 м, эффективная практическая скорострельность - до 400 выстр/мин очередями. Многие автоматы (в том числе и показанные здесь) являются "прародителями" или составными частями целых семейств автоматического оружия (от коротких "карабинов" до ручных пулкеметов - хороший тому пример австрийский AUG или семейство АК/РПК). Почти все автоматы могут оснащаться штыком, ночным, оптическим или коллиматорным прицелом, а некоторые - еще и подствольным 30-40мм гранатометом или насадкой для метания ружейных гранат (ружейные гранаты одеваются на ствол и выстреливаются холостым патроном).

Современные тенденции для автоматов - широкое использование композитных пластиков и легких сплавов, установка встроенных оптических или коллиматорных прицелов с кратностью от 1х до 4-6х, переход к схеме "Булл-пап" (механика в прикладе).

Согласно принятой в СССР/России классификации, штурмовые винтовки можно считать вторым поколением автоматических винтовок, то есть индивидуального автоматического (предназначенного для стрельбы очередями) оружия. Разганичение между поколениями проводится по используемому в данном оружии патрону. Если оружие использует мощный патрон "винтовочного" типа (например, 7,62мм НАТО, 7,5мм Швейцарский), его относят к первому поколению. Классические примеры автоматических винтовок первого поколения - американские М-14 и AR-10, бельгийская FN FAL, немецкая G3. Если оружие использует так называемые "промежуточные" патроны (7,62х39, 5,45х39, 5,56мм НАТО (5,56х45)), такое оружие относят ко второму поколению и называют собственно "автомат" либо "штурмовая винтовка". Основными приеимуществами оружия под промежуточный патрон стали: меньший вес носимого боезапаса, меньшая энергия отдачи оружия (и как следствие - уменьшение массы оружия и облегчение управления автоматическим огнем).

Первый автомат был создан в России во время первой мировой войны. Следющий шаг сделали немцы, создав к 1944 году настоящий автомат StG44 под собственный промежуточный патрон 7,92х33мм, однако первым по настоящему массовым (и одним из самых известных в мире) стал советский автомат Калашникова АК (на западе называемый АК-47). Следующий шаг сделали в США, приняв на вооружение в 1963 году винтовку М-16 под специально созданный малокалиберный и малоимпульсный патрон .223 Remington или M193 5,56х45мм (создан фирмой Sierra Bullets на базе охотничьего патрона .222 Remington). В 80х годах модификация данного патрона, разработанная в Бельгии под обозначением SS109 (с более тяжелой пулей) была принята как стандартный боеприпас 5,56мм НАТО. Вслед за США и в СССР принимается на вооружение малоимпульсный патрон М73 5,45х39мм и система оружия под него АК-74 и РПК-74.

Надо сказать, что споры о том, стоило ли принимать на вооружение в СССР малокалиберный патрон (а делалось это явно "вослед" "потенциальным противникам") не утихают и поныне. Наиболее широко распространенный патрон калибра 5,45мм 5Н7 имеет малоустойчивую пулю с небольшими останавливающим действием и проникающей способностью, а улучшенные патроны 5Н10 со стальным твердосплавным сердечником, судя по всему, массово в войска не поступали. Неудивительно, что в локальных конфликтах часто используются старые добрые АКМ и РПК под проверенный временем и достаточно эффективный патрон 7,62мм (7,62х39). Для подтверждения этого достаточно посмотреть репортажи о боевых действиях в Чечне. Да и сам М.Т.Калашников говорил, что к моменту принятия на вооружение 5,45мм комплекса (патрон/автомат/ручной пулемет) потенциал патрона 7,62х39 еще не был полностью раскрыт. Кроме того, как мне кажется, в условиях боя в населенных пунктах, когда дистанции боя невелики и на первое место выходит запреградное, убойное и останавливающее действие пули (масса носимого боезапаса становится не столь критична, ибо свои тылы рядом), лучше всего могли бы проявить себя патроны 9мм (9х39мм СП-6, ПАБ-9). Они способны поражать цели в бронежилетах и за легкими укрытиями на дистанции городского боя (100-400м) и имеют высокое останавливающее действие (важно при столкновениях на малых дистанциях - в развалинах, при проведении "зачисток" населенных пунктов). Думаю, что комплексы вроде "Грозы" под 9мм боеприпасы смогли бы продемонстрировать свою эффективность."

Edited by georges zaslavsky

Pens are like watches , once you start a collection, you can hardly go back. And pens like all fine luxury items do improve with time

As I sit here in the middle of the night doing my Greek homework, this thread happened to pop up.

Your Greek sample looks lovely!

I do not know if you are looking to provide a font usable for Ancient Greek, but you seem to be lacking circumflex and grave accents and breathing marks.

An open source font worth taking a look at is Gentium. http://scripts.sil.org/cms/scripts/page.ph...item_id=Gentium

Currently Inked: Visconti Pericle EF : Aurora Black; Pilot VP-F (Gunmetal): X-Feather; Pilot VP-F (LE Orange): Kiowa Pecan; Lamy Safari EF: Legal Lapis

Wishlist (WTB/T) - Pelikan "San Francisco"

• 1 month later...

He-he... Yeah, I write cyrillic every day.

Excuse me, your examples are so funny. :lol:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/jamespf/cyrillicnormal.jpg

ah... politics. <_< -_-

П.с.

Неожиданно! :D :D :D

• 10 months later...
Adam, thank you so much for taking the time to make a sample. Your handwriting is graceful! I have altered about 8 characters after studying your specimen. How does this look?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v210/jamespf/greek3.jpg

Dear James,

Your fonts are wonderful. Could I be so bold as to ask you to let me use them (I am a professor of Russian studies and a lover of Greek)? Your help will be truly appreciated.

Alex

James,

your font looks terrific and pretty natural handwriting, love it.

I am native russian speaker/writer and could attest the font quality. Especially after "g" fix.

The only thing is f (cyrilic ф). The loop at the bottom of this character seems little bit of. I never saw that any russian writes it with loop. Sure it is like in r (cyrilic р), but for r it is acceptable, but not for f. I would try to make it just straight.

Edited by Yuri

• 6 years later...