Happy birthday to the Parker Frontier

Ray

Does anyone else love the Frontier? A lovely big nib, bold, patterned plastics, a comfortable, rubbery section and a wonderful cigar-shaped barrel. All this at less than the price of a good meal.

The new metallic version with dark metal cap and nib is particularly nice.

Ray

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• maia

• LapsangS

• Ray

• Slush99

Top Posters In This Topic

I have one with White Barrel uninked... I love the shape of it (by the looks). Do you have a pic of the new one? It's not on parker's website, is it? Also, has the 2006 Parker Collection leaflet came out yet?

Me! I love mine! Mine is red and black. I have Noodlers Antietam in mine. The pen has a comfortable feel...

B) :bunny1:

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.

How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire

The Adventures of Chewie

According to Sam at Pedemonium, Parker is making the Frontier Flighter FP again. The Flighters went out of production last year, but popular demand forced Parker to reconsider.

Since it's the most affordable Flighter that Parker now makes (save for the Jotter), it's good to have it back. The Frontier is an underrated pen, but a decent one for the price.

Yes, I like Parker Frontier, too. I bought my Frontier in 1996 when the model had just been released. My red-marbled pen has code "IY" on its cap. It is made in the USA. It is an excellent and smooth writer.

I really like these "inexpensive everyday workhorse" pens. I think even my WM Phileas is a bit too posh for me sometimes as an everyday tool.

The next pen that I'm going to try is Parker 45 Flighter. I don't yet have a stainless steel pen, but I would like to try.

How is the Frontier compared to the Philèas in terms of pricing? I hear they are similarly priced and I'd love a multicolor (Gold/SS or White Gold) nib... If the Philèas is about the same price, I might consider one :P

My Parker Frontier Flighter writes amazingly well, but the cap wobbles a bit when the pen is closed, which is slightly disconcerting--I'm afraid that the cap will wobble more and more over time, until it no longer attaches properly. For those that have used their Frontier's extensively: should I worry about the cap wobble, or will the cap clutch likely hold up well over time?

Thanks!

-Daniel

I got pair of frontiers (blue and black) from letworski on eBay for really cheap. They were new with fine nibs. The pens write VERY smoothly, smoothest I have. On wet side, start everytime. Thought they give pretty wide line, may be on wide end of medium on my scale. Both of them had wobbling caps when closed. I sent them to Parker service center (asked to exchange black with EF nib). Now both of the caps are perfect, but I need to send black one with new EF nib third time back. After exchange (2 times) still have bad scratchy and skipping nib. If the pen in good shape I just love Frontier, good everyday writers and will not regret if I loose one, easelly can buy replacement.

How come did you get an EF nib for it? It's not stated on Parker's catalog. Only Fine, Medium, Broad and Extra Broad (these two are calligraphy grade nibs).

Maia,

I just sent it in to Parker service center with request to exchange F nib with EF, that's it. I was dumb enough not to check catalog or call them over the phone. On return my pen had different nib (very bad, it looked like somebody tried to grind it in wrong way!) and enclosed invoice stated the exchange.

My Parker Frontier Flighter writes amazingly well, but the cap wobbles a bit when the pen is closed, which is slightly disconcerting--I'm afraid that the cap will wobble more and more over time, until it no longer attaches properly. For those that have used their Frontier's extensively: should I worry about the cap wobble, or will the cap clutch likely hold up well over time?

Thanks!

-Daniel

Yes, the cap is moving a bit when it's closed, I think it's a design feature. I bought my pen in 1996 and have used it a lot, and it shows no signs of loosening or wearing out.

How is the Frontier compared to the Philèas in terms of pricing? I hear they are similarly priced and I'd love a multicolor (Gold/SS or White Gold) nib... If the Philèas is about the same price, I might consider one :P

Frontier is a bit cheaper than Philéas, at least online. I think Philéas and Parker 45 cost the same =$30-40. It's amazing to see those low prices at Ebay, for example at J.M. Lewertowski's. The starting bids are really low, and sometimes even the Buy It Now-prices are bargains. I bought a Parker 45 Stainless Steel GT FP at $22, including postage. Very reasonably priced indeed. They cost more than double in my local stationery store. Even the entry level pens are priced like if they were made of solid gold. :doh:

An example of my local store's pricing: Parker 45 black FP with "free ball pen included" costs around $70.

Edited by LapsangS

Yes, the cap is moving a bit when it's closed, I think it's a design feature. I bought my pen in 1996 and have used it a lot, and it shows no signs of loosening or wearing out.

Thanks--that's very reassuring. :)

By the way, I just noticed that my nib says F on the back. The pen is really really wet and makes a very thick line. It seems more like a M to me. :unsure:

Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost.

Begun, the Spam Wars Have.

How to Be a Perfect Lady: according to the media - a satire

The Adventures of Chewie

I saw the rollerball version (the metallic red with black cap) and it looked stunning, so I'm happy to find out it's available in fp. Ebay only has "M" nibs. Does Parker charge you for exchanging to an EF or F nib?

http://img525.imageshack.us/img525/606/letterji9.png

• 1 month later...

Ok, I'm a bit late to this thread. Of course I just saw that this is a new section of FPN.

I love the Frontier. It is my fav modern Parker. I have 5 of the Flighters. One of which I've been using every day for the past three years. Other than a posting ring on the barrel it has chugged right along. A little fine steel wool and Simichrome fixes the posting ring. Although my medium writes like a B nib whereas my other Med nibs write like a medium. However not worried as the price is right.

I'm glad to see that Parker brought them back. When I heard they were discontinued I started hoarding, hence the reason I have five of them. Nice to see they will be around for a little longer.

A very dependable, durable pen.

Rowdy

I too am late to this thread.

Happy Birthday, Frontier! :bunny1:

I absolutely love mine. It has dislodged the Safari/Al-Star and the Core as my favourite low-end modern pen, and has been one of my constant daily users since around the new year. Mine is black-barrelled with a stainless steel cap.

The very special thing about this pen for me is that it has a Medium nib. I don't normally like Mediums in the past, but this one is just fantastic. It somehow has a stubby feel to it (natural line variation between the down and the cross-stroke) but I'm not sure how common this is.

I am ecstatic to hear that they are now reproducing the flighter (fell in love with Ms Ann's). I think I might just have to get one.

G.

You can't always get what you want... but if you try sometimes... you just might find... you'll get what you need...

The Frontier generally does have a very smooth nib and it looks much the same as that on the Sonnet - perhaps it is the same nib but with a less good finish? My major criticism has been with leakage - the children have used them at school and them and I have had problems with inky fingers when they are used after being carried around. I've now given them a Parkert 45 each and they are much happy with those - the 45 never seems to leak.

John

• 3 weeks later...

I'm also late on the thread...

Well, I have two Frontiers (a flighter and a black barrel/metallic cap). Extremely confortable pens. You fill them, and they write, and write and write until they go dry. That simple. I added a rollerball just because I like the shape of the model.