Leaky Hero 329s

Philip1209

I split a 10 pack of Hero 329s with my brother about a week ago. I immediately inked three of the pens- one with PR avacado (in a green pen), one with Noodler's widow maker (in a red pen), and one with Noodler's black (in a black pen. See a pattern?). Only one of the pens leaked- the Noodler's black one, so I figured it was a dud, emptied it, and pulled out one of to unused pens and put Baystate Blue in it (it was a black pen- pattern broken!). That pen has been leaking too. The pens leaked around the nib, the midsection, and it appeared that they leaked even a little at the end of the pen. Is this a common occurrence? Can it be remedied?

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• RLTodd

• rhk745

• richardandtracy

• Philip1209

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Possible suggestion..............

Sounds like they need to be disasembled and then reasembled with a bit of shellac at the joints.

YMMV

I agree with RLTodd with his general comments. But here's how to do it if you're going to do it yourself:-

The hood should unscrew if no shellac or adhesive has been used. This will expose a thread which you'll need to put the shellac on, then screw the hood back on. That should stop the leaks by the midsection. Be careful as you do it, the hood may swivel the nib around as it goes, so re-positioning the nib may be necessary.

Now, the hood may be held on with a small smear of adhesive - not enough to seal but enough to glue. If so, you'll have to break the glue joint. It won't be easy as the glue Hero uses seems to be unaffected by heat, and normal attempts at softening with hot water don't work (been there with a Hero 616 and cursed long & hard). Brute ignorance & force is needed here - but I warn you, you may crush the connector if you're not careful, it's clear polystyrene and is quite brittle so there will be little warning before it fails.

Now, if you're getting leaks into the barrel of the pen from around the sac then slip off the sac guard from the connector (it probably won't take much of a pull as they're a friction fit between the guard and the connector) and take a look at the sac for punctures. Hopefully there won't be any - if there are, either replace the sac or chuck the pen. Also look at the base of the sac for leaks. If inadequate quantities of glue were used there, peel the edge of the sac back and shellac around the edge. Then put the sac back in position over the shellac, and replace the sac guard.

Now, hopefully you've solved any leaks, so the pen won't leak into the cap any more.

Regards

Richard.

Hi,

If you not repair the pens, you can try bid from ebay seller waimar, I bid some Hero pens from him before.

JoJo :bunny01: