The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Registration on the Fountain Pen Network

Dearest Visitor of the little Fountain Pen Nut house on the digital prairie,

Due to the enormous influx of spammers, it is no longer possible to handle valditions in the traditional way. For registrations we therefore kindly and respectfully request you to send an email with your request to our especially created email address. This email address is register at fountainpennetwork dot com. Please include your desired user name, and after validation we will send you a return email containing the validation key, normally wiithin a week.

Thank you very much in advance!
The FPN Admin Team

Photo

Montblanc LE 1906 Boheme 100 Year Anniversary

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Bryant

Bryant

Chatterleyluxuries.com

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,838 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2008 - 22:07

Initial Impression: 8/10
This pen comes in a very nice shiny box that is covered with a box, then an outer box, that sits in another outer box... Whew! I guess they wanted the box (#1) protected... The most inner box is very nice though, its definitely a display box, sorry about all the lint on it in the pic. So before you read the rest of the this review remember that I just got a Visconti Romanica a day before I got this, and this is a very large pen, so when I first opened the box, it seemed very small. After using the Romanica for a day, then seeing this, it was like a mini pen! But after a few days, I got over that a little bit...

Look/Finish/Hardware: 10/10
Well with out saying this pen is very nice. The body is made from resin and the rest is plated platinum. Also instead of the Montblanc star it has a 43 faceted Diamond in the shape of the star. One thing I like about this, is that the diamond is not right in your face, you really have to look for it. So many MBs with diamonds scream out... Don't get me wrong, I do like some loud pens, (Visconti Ripple, Romanica...) But, this one is done very classy I think. One of the main selling points of this pen was the cap. The overlapping stars is very cool. I first saw this on the 146 size, but after I was told the price on it, I decided that a pen worth more than my car was probably not the way to go headsmack.gif I'm not real sure what the stone is on the clip, butI'm sure its synthetic... I would be very surprised if it was not...

Feel/Balance: 6/10
The body of the pen feels very nice when it comes to its weight. This pen is WAY to small to write with un-posted and with the retractable nib, its meant to written with the cap on. It has great balance, but once again... I like big pens... So, its not that its not a greatly balanced pen, its just a little to small for me. But the weight is good.

Filling System 5/10 Nib: 10/10
The filling system is a Cartridge, with no possibility for a converter... This is one thing that drives me crazy about the Boheme's, I don't like using cartridges... You put one in and your are forced to use the whole thing or throw it out so you can switch up the color. I still have yet to see a converter that works for these pens, and I have tried a few...
The nib was worked on by Mr Binder, Richard Binder rolleyes.gif so you know its "money". It at one point a medium nib, but was transformed like a beautiful butterfly into a stub. This the first time I have ever used a stub... Now I see the light! Very fun! It has some great variation and is very smooth.

Price/Value: Retail Price 5/10 Price I paid 7/10
I think that the retail price on this is too much, but I understand that diamonds cost... But I would not have bought the retail price for it...(I think it was over 2k unsure.gif) I paid a much less than that, and if I didn't mind the fact of the size, I would be very happy, but since it is "too small" for me, I am pretty sure this one will go up on the auction block

Overall: 7/10
So, if you like smaller or "regular size" pens, and cool gadgets, like retractable nibs, this kind of pen is for you. I would say if the pen was a little bigger, this pen would stay with me forever, but I just don't see it getting used as much as a pen this price should be. Above and beyond the size and cartridge filling system this pen would be 9/10

My Visconti Romanica eating my MB... Yummy! lticaptd.gif Man I'm a (bleep)...

Edited by Bryant, 03 August 2008 - 22:09.

Chatterley Luxuries and Pentime

Web: Chatterleyluxuries.com

Email: Info@chatterleyluxuries.com

Follow us on... 

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Sponsored Content

#2 Diamondback

Diamondback

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2008 - 22:57

Bryant,

A very balanced review and nice camera work. Bohemes are just too small for my hand, although I can admire the barrel resin and the nib engraving. I would also be disappointed paying so much money for a cartridge only pen.

If you decide to keep it enjoy the writing experience.

Mark
"None of us can have as many virtues as the fountain-pen, or half its cussedness; but we can try" Mark Twain (American Humourist, Writer and Lecturer. 1835-1910)

#3 goodguy

goodguy

Fountain pens and watches collector

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,534 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 03 August 2008 - 23:00

This Boheme is droolable absolutly cute puddle.gif
I loved the Visconti cap eating the Boheme lticaptd.gif
How sad this pen must go but I agree knowing you like BIG pen.
As you know I also own a Boheme and the cartridge only is a pain but when paying less then 200$ for that pen things looks much more resonable.

I think its important to remind everybody that concider a Boheme (as you noted yourself in the review) that this pen is designed to be used posted and feels perfectly balanced this way.While posted this pen is the size of a full size pen and you completly forget about the cap posted as it feels so balanced and natural.

Edited by goodguy, 03 August 2008 - 23:03.

Respect to all

#4 sumgaikid

sumgaikid

Don't mess with the kitteh......

• Member - Gold

• 3,712 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2008 - 01:01

I have to admit that I like the looks of it(perhaps I'm slowly warming up to MB's)and the fact that it has a retractable nib,
but 2K retail for a cartridge filler only???

It's something important like that that turns me off to really considering them.............. angry.gif

John
Irony is not lost on INFJ's--in fact,they revel in it.

#5 JayKay

JayKay

Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 05 August 2008 - 04:08

Gorgeous pen. I'm surprised its well balanced when posted because that cap looks like it weights a ton! Great review on a great looking pen.

#6 Inkquest

Inkquest

Certified Pen Nutbag

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2008 - 06:54

Great review. This one is a looker for sure. I agree that 2k is way, way, WAAAAAY overpriced (heck, I think the prices for the standard ones are on the steep side). But I must admit, I do love these little pens.

#7 Bryant

Bryant

Chatterleyluxuries.com

• Member - Gold

• 4,838 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 05 August 2008 - 16:01

QUOTE (sumgaikid @ Aug 4 2008, 07:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have to admit that I like the looks of it(perhaps I'm slowly warming up to MB's)and the fact that it has a retractable nib,
but 2K retail for a cartridge filler only???

It's something important like that that turns me off to really considering them.............. angry.gif

John

It is annoying that its a cartridge... It would be fantastic if they made the Boheme in a piston but with the retractable nib, I dont know how that would work...

QUOTE (JayKay @ Aug 4 2008, 10:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gorgeous pen. I'm surprised its well balanced when posted because that cap looks like it weights a ton! Great review on a great looking pen.

The cap is actually quitle like, and since the pen is smaller, it helps keep the weight it does have balanced.

QUOTE (Inkquest @ Aug 5 2008, 12:54 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great review. This one is a looker for sure. I agree that 2k is way, way, WAAAAAY overpriced (heck, I think the prices for the standard ones are on the steep side). But I must admit, I do love these little pens.

Thanks, I agree... 2k is very high... But this can be the MB way unfortunately... At least with this pen, an LE is actually an LE out of 1906, opposed to 30,000 headsmack.gif
PS you can get a standard for around 200 used if your patient... They are fun pens...

Chatterley Luxuries and Pentime

Web: Chatterleyluxuries.com

Email: Info@chatterleyluxuries.com

Follow us on... 

Facebook

Instagram

Twitter

Sponsored Content

|