The Fountain Pen Network uses (functional) cookies. Read the FPN Privacy Policy for more info.  To remove this message, please click here to accept the use of cookies

Photo

Filcao Leader

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 antoniosz

antoniosz

ET IN ARCADIA EGO

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,033 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 19:54

Last week a "for sale "posting on the green board included a Filcao Leader with a 14K nib.
The "regular" pens come with stiff plated nibs that are excellent writers. I have heard
about the 14K nibs but never had one. I asked quickly for pictures and when I saw that
the pen had a Filcao 14K nib and it was in the Tuscan Sunset celluloid one of the most beautiful
patterns, I pulled the buy trigger :) (thanks Charles).

I got it today, the celluloid is as beautiful as ever with orange/cream/light blue/dark
blue flakes in an orange translucent plastic. The nib is a very nice soft (modern flex ;) - vintage semiflex)
that can give you a nice line variation with some pressure. An excellent wet writer that made me very pleased...

Posted Image

The size of the pen is 5.25" (133mm) closed, 6.3" (~160mm) posted with a maximum barrel
diameter of 0.53" (14mm). A sizable pen which is not very heavy (the celluloid models - the
brass-based laqueurs are a bit heavier) with excellent writing characteristics. It is a cartridge/converter
filler (which is not a disadvantage for me. The cap is a slip cap with a clutch that posts well (but I never do).
The end of the barrel is screwed in and can be removed (in principle you could twist the converter's
end from there. I have had few Filcao Leaders 1918 in my collection for a while. Gorgeous eye-candy
beautiful celluloids, very good writers they have been favorite of mine for a while. Their only weakness
was the gold plated trim close to the nib which is subject to corrosion. I use them with cartridges so I do
not dump them in ink. If it were not for the section ring it would be a near perfect pen. Giovanni is
covering them in terms of warranty thoroughly. The newer Leaders are button fillers and FILCAO got
rid of the troublesome section ring.

I take the opportunity to post the following pictures which are a parade of the incredible italians
celluloids :) I found these in my hard drive - I believe they were posted at some point by Giovanni Abrate
(celluloid connoisseur extraordinaire - who is the importer of filcao pens in USA). I hope he does not mind
posting them here - Gio, let me know and I will take them down if you dont want them here.
The first page from the left.
1. Early Cracked Ice (gorgeous!)
2. prototype?
3. prototype?
4. Arlecchino (my understanding is that this was made by mixing WWII scraps of cellulloids into one.
5. Missoni
6. Tuscan Sunset (gorgeous translucent celluloid)
7. ?
8. ?
9. ?
10. ?
11. ?
12. ?
13. ?
14. Red/Orange Laqueur
15. Mandarin Laqueur
Missing from the picture is the "flighter" (all stainless leader)

Posted Image

I believe most of the pens below are prototypes. Drool on..

Posted Image
Posted Image :drool:

Edited by antoniosz, 28 January 2006 - 20:01.

Sponsored Content

#2 tryphon

tryphon

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,061 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2006 - 20:11

Great review, Antonios!
The nib is very unusual in a Leader (I wonder if I brought that pen into the US or if it came from somewhere else). I tried that same nib in the Atlantica, but there were problems with the nib-feed fit and I then switched to Schmidt nibs. Still, I have a Nobile prototype with that same nib and I love the flex and line variation it provides.
I am very happy to see you post pictures of the FILCAO celluloids: as you said, many were prototypes and are therefore quite rare.
I will see if I have any other pictures on my server and post them, too.
The pen couldn't have found a better home!!!

#3 philm

philm

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,056 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2006 - 20:16

Antoniosz

I remember when these came out (3 or so years ago??). Anyway, the Tuscan Sunset was highly popular and disapeared rather quickly. By the time I bought one, I was limited to the Missoni, which I like. I forgot they were offered with the 14k option. Nice pictures and thanks for the repost of Giovannni's spectrum.

philm

#4 tryphon

tryphon

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,061 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 28 January 2006 - 20:19

Posted Image

Another view of some very rare Leader pens.

#5 Apollo

Apollo

Handsome Devil

• Member - Gold

• 998 posts

Posted 28 January 2006 - 23:10

Beautiful pen you have there, Antoniosz. Wow! Those are some glorious looking colours.

Gentlemen, please excuse me while I go wipe my chin. :drool:
Posted Image Bendita mi tierra guanche.

#6 Roger

Roger

FILCAO's Columbia. Photo:www.tryphon.it

• Member - Gold

• 1,388 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 00:04

Gentlemen, please excuse me while I go wipe my chin.  :drool:

You and me, both, Apollo. That one on the left of the grouping really starts my motor as far as color goes, but, darn, I wish they didn't have that metal down there by the nib.
Roger
Southern Arizona, USA

Fountain Pen Talk Mailing List

#7 krz

krz

...just drawn that way.

• Member - Gold

• 1,325 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 January 2006 - 04:44

"My God, it's full of stars" -- Dave 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Awesome pens, and great pictures! :D
How can you tell when you're out of invisible ink?

#8 southpaw

southpaw

Museum Piece

• Premium - Emerald

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,232 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:21

Great review, AZ, and some incredibly beautiful pens - ditto Giovanni. Thanks for sharing. And as others have already said, :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Rom. 5:8, NKJV)

#9 Ann Finley

Ann Finley

Antique

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,775 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 30 January 2006 - 04:53

Wow! I'm not sure if any other company could beat Filcao in having such a large number of beautiful pens--and the nice, classic style is a winner, too. I think my fave is the WWII scrap-made Arlecchino, with the Tuscan Sunset running a close second! :) Giovanni has great taste in the pens he chooses to import!

Many thanks, Antonios, for the review and photos.

Best, Ann

#10 davyr

davyr

Extremely Rare

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 339 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 19:23

a beautiful pen antoniosz, amongst a simply gorgeous available lineup. wowie zowie! :drool:
"i love the smell of celluloid nitrate in the morning...you know, the smell, that camphor smell, it smells like...victory."

#11 TheNobleSavage

TheNobleSavage

Antique

• FPN Supporter - Platinum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,622 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 12 February 2006 - 03:16

I am always amazed with the infinite amount of colors, patterns and designs you can produce using celluloid!!! Nice, very nice!!!

Tns
Check Out my Fountain Pen and Ink Review Sites
Fountain Pen Reviews
Ink Reviews

#12 freewheelingvagabond

freewheelingvagabond

Vintage

• Member - Gold

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 763 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:48

How much do these pens approximately retail for?
https://soundcloud.com/freewheelingvagabond

#13 enricof

enricof

Collectors Item

• Member - Gold

• 1,461 posts
  • Flag:

Posted 29 September 2010 - 10:51

How much do these pens approximately retail for?

May I suggest a look here?

Ciao - Enrico
Diplomat #1961

Posted Image

Daddy, please no more pens - we need food, clothes, books, DENTISTRY...

Sponsored Content

|